Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Also what evidence do you have that it "skews reviews." It could be that it's getting so many negative reviews because, gasp, a lot of people just think that it's not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Surely you understand that a movie get **** on repeatedly just feeds into a negative perception of it, which skewers reviews. I mean look at Suicide Squad, yes that movie is a piece of **** but it's nowhere near as bad as the lead up to it made it believe and the early reviews.

Public opinion def skewers reviews.
    I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying it's a Scott Bakula Quantum Leap to say that's the case here when these reviewers are saying the exact same things you are saying. Some of them pointed out the lack of mysticism and the lack of new concepts and yet you attribute it to SJWs while saying you are concerned about the same things.

So it's like somehow everyone but you is affected by the SJWs. If the negative press is what caused these reviewers to cite those as concerns then how are you confident the same is not true of you since you expressed the same concerns?
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Dang some of the scenes described in the Polygon review sound outright atrocious.

Edit: Not all that surprised though. The lead actor was pretty bad in Game of Thrones (and I loved the character in the books) and the trailer wasn't good.
    Finally regarding the whole race thing, the reason it works for Iron Fist is that you have a member of the normally dominant culture (Danny) being transplanted into a place where he is the minority, then put back where he is the majority years later. It's why I agreed with casting a white lead, because that is a legitimately interesting story to tell and subverts most of the issues if done well. The problem was whether they were able to do it well. However considering there is apparently 0 Kun lun I'm not sure if they bothered to do it at all.
    Last edited by dan12456; 03-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Surely you understand that a movie get **** on repeatedly just feeds into a negative perception of it, which skewers reviews. I mean look at Suicide Squad, yes that movie is a piece of **** but it's nowhere near as bad as the lead up to it made it believe and the early reviews.

Public opinion def skewers reviews.
    Usually I agree with your opinions Iron Fist, but despite my very low expectations for Suicide Squad due to reviews somehow it managed to be even worse than expected when I saw it in theatres. Sometimes bad reviews are because a show is just bad, and lots of these reviews give tons of reasons completely unrelated to his race to be concerned.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Ultimate Member

I also wonder if this coming out so soon after Dr. Strange, heck the DVD/Blu-ray for that movie just came out like last week or something, might have also not helped. Bad timing basically.

hmm it appears that for some strange reason the norm that has happened with all these series are no longer allowed.

All these Netflix shows have tremendous problems with pacing from shows that are only 13 episodes long.

Which is astounding because it appears like they are just wasting money when they could do cool things. The Expanse, which is also 13 eps 42 min long, so far this season has had each episode packed with story moving stuff along at a good pace.

I would be ok with this if we are talking about Walking Dead cause it's on season seven and they pretty much already have an audience. But we are talking about an online service, dont know how they work with this.

Im not expecting anything better than the previous shows but i am not expecting anything worst. I guess the issue with this show may be that this is the most comicbooky story out of all of them. DD did have him helping the poor from the big guys, JJ was apparently a feminist show, and LC had the black community. This show is about a rich kid getting back his money with Kung Fu.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 03-08-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Expected this to be more grounded like the others, so not surprised at the lack of Kunn Lunn (I expected it'll me more teased and talked about sparsely to maintain mystery and not completely blow their budget) but the action here really should be balls to the wall. Needs energy, if that's missing then I'll be disappointed as well. My trepidation about this showrunner might've been justified.

Fantastic Member

I think Jessica Jones is way overrated. Jessica herself was incredibly boring and, just like in Daredevil S2, for the story to work the audience has to believe the main character is incredibly dumb. Both Jessica and Daredevil (S2) failed at pretty much everything important they tried to accomplish.

Now, I was hoping Iron First would have the best fight scenes among the Netflix shows - with the emphasis in martial arts, unlike Jessica Jones or Luke Cage, it would be expected that the coreography would be at minimum as good as in Daredevil.

From the reviews, looks like they didn't manage to do even that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    To an extent yes.

But when I see complaints of boring, bad action fights, afraid of "going there" with Kun Lun... that is what makes me sad.

Tumblr outrage won't stop people from watching on netflix. Being boring and shitty will.
    Exactly. I don't care about the critics from Sjw points of view, but if they say that the fight scene are bad, that we don't see Kun Lun and the dragon, that the first episodes are boring... I'm worried.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Mighty Member

The most worrying thing, to me, so far is the description of the fight scenes. After what they managed in two seasons of Daredevil, I was hoping Iron Fist would be full of awesome martial arts choreography. Doesn't sound like that's the case, in these reviews. I don't need it to be real, I'm fine if it just looks cool, but it sounds like this doesn't even manage that.

I'll be seeing for myself when the 17th rolls around. But this was probably the most difficult of the four Defenders to adapt well, and it sounds like they may have managed to mess up by far the easiest part. Hype fading fast.

Just resposting my thoughts from the Iron Fist thread over at the Marvel boards:

I've heard about the less than stellar buzz surrounding Iron Fist. I think the series already came with a lot of heat due to the "Danny Rand should be Asian-American" controversy. As we talked about previously, the fight scenes may not be as good as we hoped. Furthermore, the elements that made Iron Fist really awesome these past ten years, such as the legacy, the Seven Cities of Heaven, the Immortal Weapons, they don't seem to be here. Rather, we are treated to Danny's origin story. Extending that logic a bit further, there is the fear that we won't be able to see those elements (as well as Shang-Chi or Pei) because there might not be an Iron Fist season 2 . Again, this is irksome.

So, yeah, as an Iron Fist fan, I'm disconcerted that one of my favorite characters is getting this much flack .

HOWEVER, I think you guys know me. I'm always going to keep an open, positive mind. Maybe the first 6 episodes are light on martial arts, but perhaps the last 7 will have lots of fights. Though corporate intrigue is typical soap opera stuff, I still find it intriguing. I hear Colleen Wing is shining as a character, so maybe we'll get a Daughters of the Dragon Netflix series out of this. And ultimately, we fans have not seen Finn Jones play Danny. Maybe he'll hit the right notes. And at the end of the day, there's still some Iron Fist comics coming down the pipe soon.

So, all in all everyone, I'm keeping my iron fists crossed .
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Latest look at Marvel's Iron Fist:

Y'know, bad reviews and naysayers be damned, after looking at this clip, I'm still excited about the show. Maybe even more so. Colleen has me hyped.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Y'know, bad reviews and naysayers be damned, after looking at this clip, I'm still excited about the show. Maybe even more so. Colleen has me hyped.
    Besides Pepper and Widow, what exactly does MCU have against red haired women? First Hellcat and now Colleen? Their red hair is pretty essential to their look. Were they worried she would look too much like other Marvel Japanese ninja chick Yukio in the Wolverine? Still looks exciting and I am glad we get to see Colleen Wing.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Agreed. It's almost like folks are throwing a fit because it's not one of The Raid films.

I wonder how many of them have actually read most of The Immortal Iron Fist.

Fantastic Member

hell no amount of bad reviews would be derailing my hype especially when its Defenders time. Cant wait to see everyone together! DD, JJ, IF, LC, Misty, Coleen, Elektra, Patsy and Claire