Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default So DC released the first trade of Geoff Johns Teen Titans...

And you shouldn't buy it. Johns is a good writer, but his run on this book is horrendous. If you haven't already, go buy the first trades of the Rebirth Titans and Teen Titans books instead. They're MUCH better.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    And you shouldn't buy it. Johns is a good writer, but his run on this book is horrendous. If you haven't already, go buy the first trades of the Rebirth Titans and Teen Titans books instead. They're MUCH better.

Kind of rude to start a thread for the sole purpose to tell someone to not buy a book just because you don't like it. The Geoff Johns Teen Titans was my go to DC book as a teen in the 00's. I will admit it has its flaws, but it still has its place in the history of the Titans franchise and is definitely worth a read through if you have never read it before, or at least one re-read if you are in the mood for some pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans works.

Though I do agree the current Titans book is freakin awesome!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Funny enough, Percy said he was inspired by that teen titans run for his rebirth run.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

That run was some great comedy, but it really didn't do the YJ characters much justice. A lot of people blame the New 52 for what happened to Bart, but to me his problems started when they made him Kid Flash for no good reason, made Superboy the clone of Lex Luthor and Superman (and sucked his personality away), and made Wonder Girl into Donna Troy complete with her old costume. It didn't help that most of the stories just seemed to retread the same ones from the 80s. It was a real let down after Young Justice and as a teenager the whole time I was thinking "What teenager wants to read a book like this?"

BANNED

What I think is funny is everybody keeps saying Johns has so much respect for the past, but the first thing he did in that series was throw out the explanation for where Superboy came from, in favor of something he liked better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    That run was some great comedy, but it really didn't do the YJ characters much justice. A lot of people blame the New 52 for what happened to Bart, but to me his problems started when they made him Kid Flash for no good reason, made Superboy the clone of Lex Luthor and Superman (and sucked his personality away), and made Wonder Girl into Donna Troy complete with her old costume. It didn't help that most of the stories just seemed to retread the same ones from the 80s. It was a real let down after Young Justice and as a teenager the whole time I was thinking "What teenager wants to read a book like this?"
    While I don't think the writing in the book is strong to begin with, the treatment of the YJ characters is my biggest problem. Connor, Tim, Cassie, and especially Bart were ruined. Tim at least still had his Red Robin solo title a few years later to recover from damages done to his character both here and in the solo Robin title, but Connor, Cassie, and Bart have all been terrible characters since this run. That's 14 years now. 14 years without my favorite speedster being the character I loved growing up.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    What I think is funny is everybody keeps saying Johns has so much respect for the past, but the first thing he did in that series was throw out the explanation for where Superboy came from, in favor of something he liked better.
    Weird, I wouldn't ever say that about him. Re-did Aquaman and Black Manta's origin, completely invented a backstory for Barry Allen, retconned GL with Parallax, replaced Oa with Earth as the starting place for life in the universe. Some of those I like and some I don't, but he's never been afraid of just going "I think I like this better" and throwing out whatever he didn't like.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Well, he kinda "created" that origin before the first one ever saw print, so maybe for him it was the past: :P

That said, Geoff Johns biggest strenghts as a writer never stemmed about some respect for the past, but to a pretty good perception of what core concepts make a character or franchise work and, when giuven time, a knack of weaving his ideas into pre-stablished continuity.

He does has vices and excesses though, as the overuse of Prime, Flash: Rebirth and his origin of Superman will tell you.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Weird, I wouldn't ever say that about him. Re-did Aquaman and Black Manta's origin, completely invented a backstory for Barry Allen, retconned GL with Parallax
    The Parallax retcon respected the history of Hal Jordan not being a crazy murderer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Parallax retcon respected the history of Hal Jordan not being a crazy murderer.
    Hal going crazy and becoming Parallax is the only time in the character's history he was ever interesting. I hate that it got retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, he kinda "created" that origin before the first one ever saw print, so maybe for him it was the past: :P

Sweet baby Jesus, where did this come from?
    Save Ferris...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Sweet baby Jesus, where did this come from?
    Before Geoff Johns was the man he is today, orchestrating the DCEU, he was just a fan like us, writing in to the letter's pages at DC.

Letter session of Superboy #25 or 26, from around 1996.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Before Geoff Johns was the man he is today, orchestrating the DCEU, he was just a fan like us, writing in to the letter's pages at DC.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Letter session of Superboy #25 or 26, from around 1996.
    This is the craziest thing I've ever seen in my life. Look at Geoffrey Johns of Clarkston Michigan throw out suggestions like he was already running the place. And that snarky response he got... you know he had this letter framed and hanging over his racecar bed for years, looking up at it like... "Oh yeah? Bzzt? I'll have your f$@kin job in 4 years! He's Lex's clone. Believe that chit!"

It is kinda cool though, that he was a nut like the rest of us. I just wish he would remember those roots more. Right now, he's like the least interactive guy out there. You couldn't send him a letter or tweet or whatever as Joe Nobody and get a response these days. Of course I've never actually tried to. But you'd figure this guy would be more well known for interacting with fans.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    It is kinda cool though, that he was a nut like the rest of us. I just wish he would remember those roots more. Right now, he's like the least interactive guy out there. You couldn't send him a letter or tweet or whatever as Joe Nobody and get a response these days. Of course I've never actually tried to. But you'd figure this guy would be more well known for interacting with fans.
    He was very accessible up until the time of Flash Rebirth and Blackest Night. But took a more reserved approached after that.

But he's a cool guy!