Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tim joined to be a happier influence? Who the heck asked him to be a happier influence on some dude who dresses as a bat? You want to improve someone's life? You want to be a happier influence go volunteer or entertain at an orphanage. Gotham is full of em. Go to f*king clown college No one asked him to go make Batman happier.

Cass, Jason,Dick and Basil I can blame Bruce for he pulled them in everyone else is crashing.

If you find yourself in Gotham in costume fighting crime then yeah you are following in his footsteps and you are inspired by him so he is the daddy and deserves all the respect.
    Do you hate A Lonely Place of Dying, too? Because, though that story has some flaws, I firmly believe what Tim says there: Batman needs a Robin. If you disagree, that's fine, but I don't like your version of Batman at all. I love the Batman who tries to build a new family and a better life for all of them.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Shiva being better than Batman at combat is just one of those things I've always figured was pretty accepted and noncontroversial, but apparently not. Like, this is sort of on the same level as learning Superman isn't weak to kryptonite would be. It's that ingrained.
    You just had a period of time where new characters were showing up like Connor and Cass and had the MA aspect being brought up more in their stories since Batman had the JL and other niches to draw from. Up until Knightfall her interactions with him were of an equal status.

Still whether she should be the better or not I get the upror because this puts too much a starting distance between the two in skill but I`m guessing the writer went at it since Batman has other things going for him besides that. Tom King seems to equally believe that Bruce works the best as an all rounder, not an expert of the things he learned.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Do you hate A Lonely Place of Dying, too? Because, though that story has some flaws, I firmly believe what Tim says there: Batman needs a Robin. If you disagree, that's fine, but I don't like your version of Batman at all. I love the Batman who tries to build a new family and a better life for all of them.
    I like that Batman too which is why it irks when he doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is like their father the head of the household. You don't talk to a parent like that it makes her look like an ingrate which she's never been. It's like when someone takes a character you like and makes em do dumb **** for nothing.

I don't mind a lonely place for dying however I don't believe that Batman needs a robin and this is coming from a Damian fan.

I do like that he has found a new family after losing his original.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-10-2017 at 01:18 PM.

I like that Batman too which is why it irks when he doesn't get the respect he deserves. He is like their father the head of the household. You don't talk to a parent like that it makes her look like an ingrate which she's never been. It's like when someone takes a character you like and makes em do dumb **** for nothing.
    He's a father, but not of children only. Fathers are no longer the absolute authorities of adult or young adults - they need to allow space of disagreement, for finding their own way. That's how I see Steph in Victim Syndicate. She's not ungrateful (I think it's crucial to recognize that when Bruce confronts Steph in Tec 947, it's with the exact same pose and background as when he comforted her in 940) - she's struggling to find her own way. I think we'll see in her solo issue after Cass's arc concludes that her own way leads her back to the Bat, eventually.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Not every BatKid sees Bruce as a dad, the main example besides Steph being Azrael, who was more like a little bro than anything.

Comparing Bruce and Steph's relationship to a real life one, I'd say Steph is the next door neighbor Bruce hates that his kids hang out with.

Also, you from the 50's? Being the head of the household doesn't automatically earn you respect. My parents are/were racist, transphobic, Conservatives who can't/couldn't tolerate anyone else's opinions. I got about zero respect for them.

He's a father, but not of children only. Fathers are no longer the absolute authorities of adult or young adults - they need to allow space of disagreement, for finding their own way. That's how I see Steph in Victim Syndicate. She's not ungrateful (I think it's crucial to recognize that when Bruce confronts Steph in Tec 947, it's with the exact same pose and background as when he comforted her in 940) - she's struggling to find her own way. I think we'll see in her solo issue after Cass's arc concludes that her own way leads her back to the Bat, eventually.
    But my issue wasn't just about Bruce. I also hate that she essentially was made to betray her team as well. I will obviously pick up her solo hopefully that will bring Steph back on track and to her senses.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Not every BatKid sees Bruce as a dad, the main example besides Steph being Azrael, who was more like a little bro than anything.

Comparing Bruce and Steph's relationship to a real life one, I'd say Steph is the next door neighbor Bruce hates that his kids hang out with.

Also, you from the 50's? Being the head of the household doesn't automatically earn you respect. My parents are/were racist, transphobic, Conservatives who can't/couldn't tolerate anyone else's opinions. I got about zero respect for them.
    No not from the 50's and my dad uses words like mulatto for my partner and is very conservative but what you gonna do? You educate, you love and you show respect. There are things that are ingrained in us so deep.

But my issue wasn't just about Bruce. I also hate that she essentially was made to betray her team as well. I will obviously pick up her solo hopefully that will bring Steph back on track and to her senses.
    I don't think she betrayed the team. She didn't side with the Victim Syndicate - she punched them and made sure they were secure before confronting Batman. She opposes the team, but she did so in the open, not stabbing them in the back.

I don't think she betrayed the team. She didn't side with the Victim Syndicate - she punched them and made sure they were secure before confronting Batman. She opposes the team, but she did so in the open, not stabbing them in the back.
    It just hurt to see her fight them. The fighting them that's the betrayal I mean.

It just hurt to see her fight them. The fighting them that's the betrayal I mean.
    I agree that it hurt to see her fight them - especially Cass and Bruce.

BANNED

I agree that it hurt to see her fight them - especially Cass and Bruce.
    My heart freaking broke when she gassed Cass. Still, the fact that she was doing this FOR THEM kept me on her side.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    Yes, he has beaten her after 2000.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dar...hiva2.jpg.html
    http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dar...hiva3.jpg.html

I don't understand the random cut-off point, though. Are we ignoring them being equally as skilled in possibly the most famous Batman event ever, Death in the Family, just because it took place around 1990?

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dar...mily6.jpg.html

Your argument isn't helping you either way, since Bruce has become even better starting from right around 2000. He has fought Karate Kid (who makes Shiva look like a toddler), Prometheus (who had Shiva's skill, too, and beaten him hand to hand), and many more.

What are YOUR arguments?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the Lego Batman movie was one of the best depictions of building a Bat-Family, the positive influence they have on Bruce, and why they are needed.

At the same time though, notice how it managed to do that very effectively by not overcrowding things and only using three characters while Bruce was the main focus. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective with the 15+ acting figures we have running around now.

As for 'tec: The first trade was ok, but the author's fanboyism for all the characters (especially Tim) was so obvious that it became obnoxious. Kate and the artwork were the only things that kept my interest, and even Kate had that "I totally know you're Bruce Wayne because this is the scene where I show you up a bit to show how awesome I am" scene that made me roll my eyes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

*Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think the Lego Batman movie was one of the best depictions of building a Bat-Family, the positive influence they have on Bruce, and why they are needed.

At the same time though, notice how it managed to do that very effectively by not overcrowding things and only using three characters while Bruce was the main focus. It wouldn't have been nearly as effective with the 15+ acting figures we have running around now.

As for 'tec: The first trade was ok, but the author's fanboyism for all the characters (especially Tim) was so obvious that it became obnoxious. Kate and the artwork were the only things that kept my interest, and even Kate had that "I totally know you're Bruce Wayne because this is the scene where I show you up a bit to show how awesome I am" scene that made me roll my eyes.
    I'm not a fan of the "overcrowding" argument. Just find the right stories for each group of characters, and there's no problems.

Also, it prioritizes the "iconic" versions...except with hypocritical contradictions, like keeping all four male Robins but deleting the female Robin and "extra" Batgirls.