Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Hellboy and the BPRD: 1954 "The Ghost Moon"

I just finished reading this and I was glad to find it satisfying after last month's dud "The Visitor". The demons stalking Kowloon and the connection to the previous story with the Chinese ghosts was fun and i loved the art depicting the festival and the little tidbits of culture given to us. That said there wasn't lot of character work here making it feel a little like a "monster of the week" kind of story. Still it was pretty decent all around.

I liked it. A little heavy on exposition, as always, but it gets better in the back half.

Who's the horse? Have we seen him before? He called Hellboy cousin and has a fly ring, but I can't place him.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I liked it. A little heavy on exposition, as always, but it gets better in the back half.

Who's the horse? Have we seen him before? He called Hellboy cousin and has a fly ring, but I can't place him.
    I thought the same thing after reading it so today I pulled out the Right Hand of Doom trade to check the demons in the sketchbook section. It's not conclusive but I think the horse one could be Orobas and the bull may be Belam.

Man, I love the little details in that sketchbook.

Too hard to tell...

The festival scenes without dialogue are really beautiful! But the exposure is a bit too boring sometimes - for example, the scene where they are descending the stairs could be silent, they don't need to say all the time stuff like "well, this looks like the place" and in the next panel "let's see if there's anyone home".

Roberson has that problem. He could cut a ton of dialog in all the Mignola books he's done so far. But he doesn't, and nobody is telling him to from an editorial end, either. It's a shame. These books could be much better with just a few simple tweaks.