Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I could do without OML, but if it's between him and X23 I'll take him any day of the week.
    At least she's unlikeable unlike old man loser.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    This may be interesting. Psylocke and Angel and Fantomex have like this crazy Love Triangle going on. Rogue and Gambit are dipping and dabbing in the love department. Hmmmmmm ah what the hell i'm sold.
    is even more than you think. Mystique and REmy had complicated relation, as well as Mistique and Logan(albeit for him is long time ago), And of course Mistique and Rogue is a mess all by itself. Bishop...forever alone LOL

So Emma is for sure going to be the villain of this if Soule is the writer. He probably wants to finish taking that shit on her that he started with IvX.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I'm a POC and I'm fine
    Oh yes. One, single person of color doesn't care about representation. Guess we can wrap it up and get rid of all the POC X-Men for more A-List X-Men. I'm a POC and I'm not fine. The X-Editors promised diversity and Bishop isn't diversity, he's a token. Why not Forge instead of Fantomex? Why not Frenzy instead of Mystique? Why not Mirage instead of Gambit? We're back with an almost all-white team just like XMG and XMB (which actually is all-white)

BANNED

Charles Soule? No, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    We still don't have an Uncanny X-Men. Polaris, Magik, Monet, Moonstar, Beast, Iceman, Havok, Emma, and Forge are all still unaccounted for (or have just background roles) . Not that I see Emma and Havok joining any teams for quite some time again, if ever, and I still think Monet is the unrevealed character in Blue. If this were titled Uncanny X-Men I might could see it. But it's Astonishing, and it just feels weird to not have an UXM running minus a few months here or there. I still smell something coming.
    Exactly. We need some of these.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    Lol until a couple of days ago you were complaining about the same thing re: Gambit. Its the same thing for other fans, 90s superstardom or not.
    What? I wasn't complaining. I was responding to someone asking for a book with the characters they listed (it lacked star power. but I could liken it to PADs X-Factor which didn't sell well a but had great reviews and media praise) ... That has nothing to do with Gambit or 90s nostalgia or preference for any group. You misread my post. There are tons of combinations people would like to see, but Marvel isnt going to invest in a book without a clear selling point and some sort assurance. It's why Deadpool is everywhere.
    Wolverine before that, and during the 90s Bishop, Gambit, Rogue, Cable and Wolverine were on 85% of the X-Men covers.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 03-09-2017 at 03:19 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Oh yes. One, single person of color doesn't care about representation. Guess we can wrap it up and get rid of all the POC X-Men for more A-List X-Men. I'm a POC and I'm not fine.

FoH... I'm one black man and I speak for myself. You speak for you. I said I was fine with it and that's all I can speak for.

Minorities in a comic book isn't something we should get upset about because black people are getting killed in this country. That's something get up in arms about not a dam comic book.

There's more important things going on in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Just out of curiosity, who do you consider already on Astonishing's roster, as "fillers"? And how would you describe Mystique & Fantomex, even Bishop & Archangel, for that matter?
    I never said they did have fillers, but yeah. Bishop, Angel, Fantomex and Mystique are all fillers (role players) IMO. I.E. characters that probably wouldn't be able to carry a book if it were centered around them as the main point of interest. I can even argue that Gambit is as well due to the amount of usage he's had over the years. Maybe some of you see this as a bad thing, but its not. Just reality and the current condition of the character's usage rate and purposes. It changes from writer to writer and on occasion edict. For a while all we got were,; Wolverine, Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Iceman, Rogue, Xavier and Magneto. Then it shifted as the next priority emerged. For a while, the movies dictated that. Then Marvel Studios came and Marvel began moving away from the Fox based characters. Now things between them are better, and things are swinging back, even though they never really steered away from Wolverine, and now little before and definitely after Deadpool, they double down on Wade. Just the way it is.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 03-09-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Magik has been on the "flagship" since 2012. That is 5 years of being a "Main X-Men".
    Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying she isn't popular, I'm saying she's not a headline draw, or at least hasn't been used in that way yet. I for one think she deserves at least mini that crosses over with more mystical based characters like Strange, Scarlet Witch and Iron Fist. It's a place the X-Men haven't been able to go for a while, if ever (maybe demon bear? and couple story arcs?). Definitely not as a whole book. I think she has plenty of stories to explore, but again, they haven't don't that yet, thus you can't say she's able to carry a book as the main attraction. A part of one, yes 100%, but the focus, that's unproven.
    Guild Member

I think the drawback to not using fillers is realizing that (almost) any character can go from filler to A-list or at least high B-list character with the right set of circumstances, story, persistence of prominence and the right writer to click with fans. Reliance on using teams of the same characters and just switching out the rosters over and over again means that the more fringe characters that as C list background characters never have a chance to grow. Look at Magik as already exampled. She went from a prominent New Mutant to DEAD for nearly 15 years to high B list character. Meanwhile, they're pushing characters like Fantomex into try and be "spotlight characters" constantly while not clicking (and not expanding on their characterization, just the same ole same ole) all the while relegating notable but still fringe non A list characters like Iceman back back into the background.

Honestly for short periods of time new mutants/x-force members like Cannonball, Magik and Warpath have had their roles expanded to main X-Men. It's time for Moonstar to get that same treatment. Someone like that, given a chance to shine to see if it works out. But no. we get Mystique and Fantomex again.

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Oh yes. One, single person of color doesn't care about representation. Guess we can wrap it up and get rid of all the POC X-Men for more A-List X-Men. I'm a POC and I'm not fine. The X-Editors promised diversity and Bishop isn't diversity, he's a token. Why not Forge instead of Fantomex? Why not Frenzy instead of Mystique? Why not Mirage instead of Gambit? We're back with an almost all-white team just like XMG and XMB (which actually is all-white)
    Clap clap clap.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    FoH... I'm one black man and I speak for myself. You speak for you. I said I was fine with it and that's all I can speak for.

Minorities in a comic book isn't something we should get upset about because black people are getting killed in this country. That's something get up in arms about not a dam comic book.

There's more important things going on in the world
    You can be concerned about both you know. Black people being killed and diversity in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    I think the drawback to not using fillers is realizing that (almost) any character can go from filler to A-list or at least high B-list character with the right set of circumstances, story, persistence of prominence and the right writer to click with fans. Reliance on using teams of the same characters and just switching out the rosters over and over again means that the more fringe characters that as C list background characters never have a chance to grow. Look at Magik as already exampled. She went from a prominent New Mutant to DEAD for nearly 15 years to high B list character. Meanwhile, they're pushing characters like Fantomex into try and be "spotlight characters" constantly while not clicking (and not expanding on their characterization, just the same ole same ole) all the while relegating notable but still fringe non A list characters like Iceman back back into the background.

Honestly for short periods of time new mutants/x-force members like Cannonball, Magik and Warpath have had their roles expanded to main X-Men. It's time for Moonstar to get that same treatment. Someone like that, given a chance to shine to see if it works out. But no. we get Mystique and Fantomex again.
    100% agree! The only thing about this, Marvel isnt taking on pet projects anymore. The biggest example of this was PADs X-Factor or Spurriers Legacy run. X-Factor went on for years underselling but it did come to an end. He got another book, and it sold just about the same level, using characters on the same popularity level as he had before, if not higher in some instances, it got canceled under 20 issues. Matter of fact, if its not an Avengers title or based on MCU character, these things are getting 8 or maybe 12 issues before getting axed. Its much less about the quality of writing and more about mass appeal the numbers it's producing. Marvel is owned by Disney, and Disney is about that bottom line, not the expression of art, unless its providing sort of positive press (exposure equals $$$). AST got tons of positive press, with a cast primarily of role players outside of Wolverine (who was EVERYWHERE at the time) and it still got the axe. A lot of characters have the chance to be more than they are, but often aren't given a chance because the X-office, Marvel execs, whoever, stick to a certain pool of characters that I assume are deemed "safe". The only chance for other characters to ascend is if they are mixed in with said characters and thus are built up all the while. Magik, as you brought up is one of those that got this treatment.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 03-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Guild Member

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    100% agree! The only thing about this, Marvel isnt taking on pet projects anymore. The biggest example of this was PADs X-Factor or Spurriers Legacy run. X-Factor went on for years underselling but it did come to an end. He got another book, and it sold just about the same level, using characters on the same popularity level as he had before, if not higher in some instances, it got canceled under 20 issues. Matter of fact, if its not an Avengers title or based on MCU character, these things are getting 8 or maybe 12 issues before getting axed. Its much less about the quality of writing and more about mass appeal the numbers it's producing. Marvel is owned by Disney, and Disney is about that bottom line, not the expression of art, unless its providing sort of positive press (exposure equals $$$). AST got tons of positive press, with a cast primarily of role players outside of Wolverine (who was EVERYWHERE at the time) and it still got the axe.
    I think mike carey's X-men legacy was better than spurriers run but hey that's just me i felt as a run from beginning to end it was more satisfying and it worked in transitioning rogue as leader of the X-men legacy team to joining and forming the uncanny avengers.