Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283848586 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1289

@JoeGuy

Hi mate, did you get these done by Spink & Thackray? I've just sent some marvel books myself to get done by them. How did you do the content pages? Did they print them for you? I didn't even think of that.

How do they size up on the shelf against other official marvel omnis?

Thanks

Hi, I did yes. They hadn't joined Spink & Thackray yet so it was still Hollingworth & Moss at the time.

Honestly, I'm not very advanced with this stuff, I just used a free photo editor called "GIMP" and kept it simple. I set the pages to be the same size the comic + the bleed over margins were. Then just made a page that looked nice, had the info, but was easy for a novice to do.

They do print extra pages for you on request yes and I'm sure they'll tell you the dimensions you need. If you encounter any trouble I'm sure I could put an example file on Google Drive or something.

I have a cheap adjustable shelf and they fit just fine alongside the non oversized books like an epic collection. If you sent in oversized books though they should turn out very similar to regular omni's.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-09-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Hi, I did yes. They hadn't joined Spink & Thackray yet so it was still Hollingworth & Moss at the time.

Honestly, I'm not very advanced with this stuff, I just used a free photo editor called "GIMP" and kept it simple. I set the pages to be the same size the comic + the bleed over margins were. Then just made a page that looked nice, had the info, but was easy for a novice to do.

They do print extra pages for you on request yes and I'm sure they'll tell you the dimensions you need. If you encounter any trouble I'm sure I could put an example file on Google Drive or something.

I have a cheap adjustable shelf and they fit just fine alongside the non oversized books like an epic collection. If you sent in oversized books though they should turn out very similar to regular omni's.
    @JoeGuy,

Thanks I'll give them a call and see about getting a contents page put on. I'd love to see your gimp file you used to make the covers and contents page. It would certainly be a great starting point for me to make my own

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrownHeroz View Post
    Thanks I'll give them a call and see about getting a contents page put on. I'd love to see your gimp file you used to make the covers and contents page. It would certainly be a great starting point for me to make my own
    Sure. I put an example of a contents page, a front cover, back cover and spine cover on Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ue?usp=sharing

Sure. I put an example of a contents page, a front cover, back cover and spine cover on Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ue?usp=sharing
    @JoeGuy

Thank you so much. Did they combine the spines and front and back covers then? Or did you stitch these together yourself for one big PDF? I spoke to them this morning and will look at making a contents page myself

Quote Originally Posted by HomeGrownHeroz View Post
    Thank you so much. Did they combine the spines and front and back covers then? Or did you stitch these together yourself for one big PDF? I spoke to them this morning and will look at making a contents page myself
    I had to stitch them together yes, each cover is different as each spine is a different size. But it is very easy to creat one blank page that's the total size of all 3 pieces, then just drag the png's of the separate pages in and export it as one pdf.

I hope the content page turns out well.

I had to stitch them together yes, each cover is different as each spine is a different size. But it is very easy to creat one blank page that's the total size of all 3 pieces, then just drag the png's of the separate pages in and export it as one pdf.

I hope the content page turns out well.
    Thanks very much. I look forwards to getting it done and back

All-New Member

I designed a custom dust jacket for my Sleepwalker omni and it arrived today. Once again, Houchen did a fantastic job with the printing. Hopefully comic cons will re-open one day and I can add a Bob Budiansky sketch.

My next bind will be Marvel’s Robocop!

75CC97F3-FB09-4C13-9B32-41A3AC3CBC5E.jpg
    44CC96B4-42B2-4A6B-BF44-8EB2DB12EE3A.jpg
    7AEC59D1-6716-4C1F-9079-5E8D8B91FF54.jpg
    Last edited by thechon; 03-02-2021 at 07:10 AM.

That looks really legit, very cool thechon.

All-New Member

Hey all,

Some lovely examples in here, great inspiration. I'm new to custom binding, but looking to use Spink & Thackray (I'm in the UK) to bind some of my DC Rebirth runs into collected editions (Superman, Nightwing, Batman, Green Arrow & Deathstroke). I know there's a Superman omni coming out for it, but it doesn't collect some of the New 52 crossover (Superman & Lois) bits that I would like it to include.

I'm a graphic & web designer by trade, so will be designing my own covers/dust jackets as i'm very OCD about how they look together (I hate it when Marvel/DC change their spines mid run!).

My first question is about peoples process on what they do for cover artwork/character logos etc. For example if I wanted the Nightwing logotype that is used on the covers, is there a resource online to grab these in high resolution, or do you have to manually scan them in and crop them out? Some of the logos like DC official logo is available in vector format which is great. Also for covers/variants that people use for the cover of the bind, are these available somewhere or do you scan in the image from the physical copies before you send them off to be bound?

Second question is about binderies process, if you're doing a dust jacket or a full graphic cover do they bind it and then tell you the dimensions so you can position elements perfectly? Or do you have to do it before hand and make a design that can scale or doesn't matter if the widths change slightly?

Cheers for any help!

Hi Laker9,

I usually have to search for the artwork or logos I want and sometimes separate them from the background.

If you want variants, it might be best to look for the highest quality 'virgin covers' of that variant. Which is artwork only.

When it comes to dimensions, they will give you those. Make sure to get the dimensions with and without bleedover, so you know the space to work with before adding the bleedover artwork.

If you are that specific, you might want to ask for the hinge width so your cover is spaced with that gap in mind.

This is encouraging me on my two intended projects; bind my Negation run and make some nice dust jackets for my Knightfall omnibus, since DC messed those up so impressively.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    This is encouraging me on my two intended projects; bind my Negation run and make some nice dust jackets for my Knightfall omnibus, since DC messed those up so impressively.
    I just designed some dust jackets for my Knightfall omnis and had them printed by Houchen Bindery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thechon View Post
    I just designed some dust jackets for my Knightfall omnis and had them printed by Houchen Bindery.
    How do they look on the shelf? That's what I hated so much about the originals
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    How do they look on the shelf? That's what I hated so much about the originals
    Here you go. I designed them to where a small piece of the graphics overlapped the volume next to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images