Page 76 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1289
    Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

NATE DEUG...omg wow! Those are sweet binds! Congrats! May I ask ? Did you sewn or Dfab on the DIY binds? I 've toyed with the idea for many years but haven't actually attempted it fornfear of destroying something I love. What did you use for the spine lettering? Brilliant results either way! Damn!!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

All-New Member

Hey Gotham Thrasher. I hand sewed the signatures to avoid any gutter loss. So all the adverts are still in there, though I really enjoy seeing them. (There was a weird Justice League/ Subway two-signature advert insert in the middle of Batman 712 that I removed because I easily could and because I don't want to see Supes, Bats, and Wonder Woman fighting alongside Jared the pedo.)

The spine lettering was just done by printing off an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of yellow cardstock at office depot. Then the book was quarter bound using the grey paper on the front and back. I suppose I could have printed off a full image cover and gone ahead and attached that to the book cover, but I like to have a dust jacket.

I chose Tony Daniel's run for the exact reason you say: I didn't want to destroy something I really care about. So this is really a test for some Grant Morrison runs I've been wanting to do. I built myself up to it by making sketchbooks first. Once I made a couple of those and was confident enough, I said, why not go ahead and do the thing if you're gonna do it?

If you want to do it yourself, there are a couple resources I used that I could share. This site, Action Figure Blues, is what inspired me to try it myself. This channel is what they link to, and it's where I learned all the techniques I needed.

I spent about $17 on a beginner's bookbinding kit on Amazon that got me the ribbon, needles, thread, bone folder, etc. Then I probably spent around $50 on various other things like glue, book boards, end papers, creating a vice out of two c-clamps and two wooden boards, and things like that. A lot of the cost is just setting yourself up. From there I'd say it cost about $12 in supplies used plus a few hours of my time.

I'm just starting out, but so far it's a really fun and rewarding hobby just to create a book. I think this will be just a thing I do now. I can see making personalized notebooks and sketchbooks for friends and family.

Also, here's my dust jacket design:
    Batman by Tony Daniel.jpg

No such service in Singapore Pte Ltd

All-New Member

I just bound Grant Morrison's Batman: Gothic. I'm pleased with the result here and the decision to hand letter the spine. But I cannot believe that I cased the book in upside down AGAIN! Which led to another quick repair job. It doesn't look horrible, but the end pages are a bit stiff as a result.

Pics:
    IMG_0898.jpgIMG_0899.jpgIMG_0900.jpg

All-New Member

aaand just finished a collection of Batman and Robin vol 2 #0-14 (excluding 9 since that's collected in my Court of Owls bind) + Annual #1. Really happy this time. No hiccups, everything came out as planned.

btk.jpgbtk3.jpgbtk5.jpg

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Oh man...dude your amazing...I think this is the start of something huge for you ...and thank you for those resources...I don't know 9f I'm quite talented enough to try it out but like a your idea of trying a few sketch books out o who knows...thank you again and I look forward to seeing what you do next!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-16-2020 at 03:58 AM.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Havnt done any binds in ages, but recently got five volumes of Witchblade, to match my Darkness volumes done previously. These collect up to issue 100.

And also did Murder Falcon by Daniel Warren Johnson. Like my Ten Grand and Zero binds before it, i designed it to look like some old, beat-up pulp novel you might find in an independent bookstore.

Anybody get anything bound lately? I love seen others customs.

Those are excellently done.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Binding them like that, does it destroy the value?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo King View Post
    Value is ultimately determined by the buyer. Now, would I bind a copy of Action Comics #1, or even something like a first appearance of Deadpool? No, of course it'd be worth less having been sewn through or glued etc. rather than a slabbed & graded copy in good shape.

BUT most comics published after a certain point aren't worth much to begin with, and binding them makes them more desirable to many. When I got rid of most of my collection, I can say without a doubt, I sold the vast majority of my binds for significantly more than I'd have gotten trying to sell the issues as a lot. So take from that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo King View Post
    What value?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Value is ultimately determined by the buyer. Now, would I bind a copy of Action Comics #1, or even something like a first appearance of Deadpool? No, of course it'd be worth less having been sewn through or glued etc. rather than a slabbed & graded copy in good shape.

BUT most comics published after a certain point aren't worth much to begin with, and binding them makes them more desirable to many. When I got rid of most of my collection, I can say without a doubt, I sold the vast majority of my binds for significantly more than I'd have gotten trying to sell the issues as a lot. So take from that what you will.
    Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    What value?
    Was what I was asking...Dick Grayson cleared it up for me though...I can see how binding would make sense now.