Page 23 of 86 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JussD50 View Post
    I am so loving this thread. I am feeling very inspired. Probably going to bind New Universe and CrossGen books.
    I have a couple questions though:
    1) Does anyone remove single page ads? Often there are two singles that could be glued back to back to make a better reading experience. Does anyone do this? if so what glue do you recommend?
    2) Is the "Signature" the crease in the middle of the book?
    3) If I want to remove all the ads from the back of a book but still want to sew it, do I cut just above the crease "keeping the signature" or will that create a weird bunch of niblits at the end of each book?
    1) There's not really a good way to do it. The binding process requires a lot of pressure on the pages, so any glue would get forced all over the place. You could scan and reprint pages if it's only a couple, but with most Marvel books (no matter how old or new they are) it's so many pages that that doesn't end up being very cost effective either.
    2) Yep
    3) You can't have any single pages if you plan to have it smyth or handsewn. Even if you leave part of a page, that's not enough. If you want it oversewn you're okay to remove back covers/non-story pages just like you would if you had the book bound DFAB.
    Last edited by Dick Grayson; 07-13-2016 at 08:03 PM.

I am so loving this thread. I am feeling very inspired. Probably going to bind New Universe and CrossGen books.
    I have a couple questions though:
    1) Does anyone remove single page ads? Often there are two singles that could be glued back to back to make a better reading experience. Does anyone do this? if so what glue do you recommend?
    2) Is the "Signature" the crease in the middle of the book?
    3) If I want to remove all the ads from the back of a book but still want to sew it, do I cut just above the crease "keeping the signature" or will that create a weird bunch of niblits at the end of each book?
    Also, here are some New Universe books I did for someone, and a Crossgen one as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    My latest, curtesy of Hollingworth & Moss;

American Century and Ten Grand binds.

Attachment 37323
    Attachment 37324
    Gorgeous, Dark-Flux!

All-New Member

Thanks, guys. Grayson, those books, like all of yours, look amazing.
    I'd love to use that cover when I get around to pulling the trigger on my DP7 bind.
    So those were sewn? I figure that's the only way to get them to open flat like that.
    Also, were you able to get the whole series into one book? Just saw the back cover. Looks like you did. That's terrific news.
    Thanks

Thanks, guys. Grayson, those books, like all of yours, look amazing.
    I'd love to use that cover when I get around to pulling the trigger on my DP7 bind.
    So those were sewn? I figure that's the only way to get them to open flat like that.
    Also, were you able to get the whole series into one book? Just saw the back cover. Looks like you did. That's terrific news.
    Thanks
    Thanks! Feel free to PM me here or email me at comicbindingpro@gmail.com when you need that cover. And those were smyth sewn and the complete series. DFAB books also lay pretty flat, though not quite as flat as smyth. Oversewn, not so much

Classic Disney comics. First book is 80s under dell, gold key, Whitman, Disney comics.

Second book is 80s up books with Disney comics, Gladstone, marvel and idw.

Book 1

IMG_20160804_194727008.jpg

IMG_20160804_194759137.jpg

IMG_20160804_194743837.jpg

Amazing Member

Those bound Duck books look good!

And this thread pushed me to get my first set bound too. Got Shade the Changing Man.

IMG_20160730_132107.jpg

IMG_20160730_130810.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
    Those bound Duck books look good!

And this thread pushed me to get my first set bound too. Got Shade the Changing Man.

IMG_20160730_132107.jpg

IMG_20160730_130810.jpg
    Nice. Wish we'd get some vertigo hcs.

Im looking in making a custom absolute DMZ. I plan to buy the series in tpb, scan them into my computer, print out each issue in absolute size and then have them bound. Wondering if this sounds like a good idea and if any of you guys have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecHolland View Post
    Im looking in making a custom absolute DMZ. I plan to buy the series in tpb, scan them into my computer, print out each issue in absolute size and then have them bound. Wondering if this sounds like a good idea and if any of you guys have tried it.
    Unless you own or have free access to a laser printer, the printing cost would be pretty high (a FedEx Kinkos charges about $1.25 per double-sided 8.5X11 page, not sure the price for a larger page, but it's higher. Multiple that times the number of pages and you get the idea.) You could try a service like blurb.com but since you're using copyrighted material I'm not sure if you'd have much luck there.

Plus there's just the time/effort involved in scanning and resizing so many pages, plus if the art is full bleed you're going to have trouble getting good full page scans depending on the gutter loss of the TPBs. You could pull each page from the binding and scan that way to avoid gutter loss, but man, that is an awfully time-intensive process