Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Cool to see all this stuff in the works....I have been busy doing some "for hire" stuff...did some interior title pages/TOC pages for a guy on an American Flagg bind...also doing some covers which I'm wrapping up now.

My All Star Superman and One Million combo bind kept me busy....I created over 60 "bonus" pages for that bind....also doing art on cover plus a dust jacket on that one. Using Heroes Rebound this time around.

Hoping to mail that off today and get the ball rolling...

Still waiting to get dimensions back from Houchen on my four volume Avengers (roger stern era) set....looking forward to closing that one out and gettingn the books back!

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Cool to see all this stuff in the works....I have been busy doing some "for hire" stuff...did some interior title pages/TOC pages for a guy on an American Flagg bind...also doing some covers which I'm wrapping up now.

My All Star Superman and One Million combo bind kept me busy....I created over 60 "bonus" pages for that bind....also doing art on cover plus a dust jacket on that one. Using Heroes Rebound this time around.

Hoping to mail that off today and get the ball rolling...

Still waiting to get dimensions back from Houchen on my four volume Avengers (roger stern era) set....looking forward to closing that one out and gettingn the books back!
    When you say bonus pages you talking variant covers and sketches?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I did Knightfall in 3 volumes and...no gutter loss that I noticed, no problems. Why four for you? I'm mildly curious.

So I did Sword of Az thru Veng of Bane II (which is past Troika even) in 3 volumes. I simply took the existing new edition paperbacks and simply supplemented them with stuff.
    How were yours broken up? I basically did the same, but I used the pre-Knightfall issues and Vengeance of Bane/Sword of Azrael as a prelude book.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechon View Post
    How were yours broken up? I basically did the same, but I used the pre-Knightfall issues and Vengeance of Bane/Sword of Azrael as a prelude book.
    Ours were I'm sure mostly the same, but I just put Sword/Vengeance/Prelude into my Vol 1 and it worked just fine. Same width as the rest. Vol 2..Knightquest Crusade and Search. Vol 3...KEnd to Veng of Bane II. The widths (all 3 of my vols) were like super identical (which I thought was cool).

I don't know, for me...a separate volume for Sword/Vengeance/Prelude is a waste. Not long enough. I used the old Sword softcover (4 issues) and the floppies for the Prelude issues (like 11 of them) and Veng was already in that new edition Vol 1 paperback...so it all didn't take up much space.

Again, our preferences just may differ (you may prefer thinner more separated volumes). I'm just alerting you to the fact that it may not be the thickness problem you suspect (?) it could be (if that's the motivation behind the separate prelude vol).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    When you say bonus pages you talking variant covers and sketches?
    WEll I should say that a few of those pages are of course the Title page/TOC.

But I'm talking articles, interviews, and yes some art, etc.....

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:11 PM.

I'd probably keep your fonts more consistent. You got about four different ones going on there, I'd try and limit it to two. Maybe have the creator names match the volume numbering or something.

And I'd try playing with the placement of the main image on volume two. Cropping off the bottom to have the creator names set on black looks a bit awkward, imo. I'd try either having them set on top of the image itself or try adding gradient/falloff to the black strip to gradually blend into the image or something.

Minor issues though, they both look good.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Cool, thank you. I'll try to figure out how to fade the bottom and find a better font that works for the omnibus & creators.
    or just put a black or faded black outline around the text. What software are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    I'm using GIMP. As best as I can anyway.
    no idea about that I mostly use photoshop but in that you can apply effects to layers like contours and such. try to look up youtube tutorials for gimp if you are not sure how to do that, surely there is a setting for it.

One thing that worked out well for me collecting Snyder/Capullo was that I included all of Batman Eternal, which basically took up all of my Vol 2 (along with Endgame). I mixed 2 Snyder issues (Batman 28 & 34...34 actually happens for 28, oddly) into Eternal, because I think collecting Snyder means more than simply Capullo-drawn issues.

Eternal (with Joker as Arkham EE Eric Border) being so long helped make Endgame feel farther apart (timewise) from Death of the Family, which is how it should be (Eternal's events caused Endgame's opening circumstances). Like about a year of time passed.

I don't love Eternal, but it at least helped in that sense. What I did of course is very optional and I'm sure many won't like it as an idea.

So I saw the benefits of including Eternal as:
    -more of Lincoln March's story, his second go at Batman
    -properly show what led to Endgame's setting (Gotham in rough shape, Eric Border is Joker, Bluebird, etc)
    -give the reader a real sense of the in-story time lapse
    -Batman 34 and 28 make more sense actually included within Eternal and they are both Snyder issues, part of his run

(Also I excluded Z.Year, because I just don't like it...another idea I'm sure no one but me will do in binding the run...you might say, well doesn't ZY help separate DOTF from Endgame? No, because it isn't set in the present....DOTF and Endgame practically are seemingly consecutive arcs since ZY is the past with 28 and 24 and very short vague dividers informing you by weak implication of the huge time gap between DOTF and Endgame)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-09-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:12 PM.

I don't really have any notable advice, no pics. I squeezed Black Mirror, Gates of Gotham, New 52 Tec #1 (where Joker loses his face, Snyder's credited idea), and Snyder/Cap thru this Clayface story into Vol 1 (well, and I added Tomasi's return of Damian arc, but nobody should do that unless they are a clone of me).

Vol 2 was Eternal with Batman #34 and #28 mixed in and then Endgame.

Vol 3 will be bound soon Superheavy thru some of All Star.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:10 PM.