Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Can you post more info about their prices? I don't want die stamps, just the standard spine printed and head and tail bands. I am also Canadian and I was getting my binding done at Houchen (who are great, I cannot say enough good things) but the damned Customs fees were murder.

I'll post up some of the stuff I've had done but in general, I get trades bound as DFAB and comics as Smythe sewn, unless they are old comics in which case I cut them up and use DFAB. I find older newsprint is a bit fragile for Smythe.

I've made some bad mistakes with binding. For example, the first thing I ever had bound was the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil run, which I owned in trades. I dropped them at a local bindery that had never done comics before and assumed they would remove the covers. But they didn't: they bound the trades covers and all, making for a less than optimal reading experience. That was a big lesson - you need to prep everything and make no assumptions.
    They charge $27 per book unless you get 10 or more done in a batch, then it's $25. Included in the price is head and tail bands, a ribbon marker, ten lines of type on the spine (beyond that it's $1 per line) and two free stamps on the spine. Also, there is no upcharge for smythe sewing. If your comic can be sewn thats what they'll do. Otherwise it's DFAB. If you get a book with all of those features it is more than half the cost of getting bound at Houchen.

They told me die stamps cost $40-100 bucks to get made. Other downsides are the limited cover stock (23 colors for buckram but only four for imitation leather), three fonts and only white, gold and black stamping.

I once passed up a gorgeous set of leather bound Cerebus volumes that I've been kicking myself for ever since. Black leather and gold lettering really brought dignity to those phonebook editions.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post

Hollingworth and Moss
    are based in the UK and are the popular choice for Europeans.
    Ah. I would like to bind the first 40 issues of Deathstroke the Terminator, do you know how much that will cost if I would have them binded in one hardcover with a fake leather cover
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

I like the idea of binding, but don't know if I'll ever do it. I have a few runs I would like to bind, but not sure I like the typical die stamped faux leather look. I've heard the picture cover ones tend to crack when you open them, and besides, someone has to design the cover for those. I am not all that great with Photoshop.

007 girl.

Personally, I would not have my books binded up....but I've come across old ones, especially Archies that looked nicely done. The books inside were original copies which is a plus....but I still have some remorse for them... being unstapled and then stitched together like that.
    Last edited by ultimate jezebel; 05-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Ah. I would like to bind the first 40 issues of Deathstroke the Terminator, do you know how much that will cost if I would have them binded in one hardcover with a fake leather cover
    I have absolutely no idea. Ask them.

Is there a specific company/website you guys prefer? or is it just personal preference/price point/personalization

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Is there a specific company/website you guys prefer? or is it just personal preference/price point/personalization
    Herring and Robinson are very popular and I think have the best reputation.

Herring and Robinson are very popular and I think have the best reputation.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Amazing Member

Got any pics of the Daredevil books? Thats a series thats ideal for binding.
    Sorry I didn't have time to snap any of the weekend, but here is the link to the ebay auction with lots of nice pics. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-1-...vip=true&rt=nc

Thats a great looking set of books.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I have soooooo many comics to bind, but the whole process still intimidates me and two years after announcing my intent to do so I haven't sent any in for binding.

My current internal argument is whether I want to get wrapped art covers (which requires me to do a lot of photoshop prep work before I even ship my box), or simply go for a standard buckram look on all of my collections and print DJs myself at some later point when I have tons of leisure time.

Also: Never sure what the max number of issues I should try to squeeze into a non-oversewn book should be.

Thoughts? I have a junker run of Savage She-Hulk ready to send in as an experiment, followed by about 3000 other comics
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I have soooooo many comics to bind, but the whole process still intimidates me and two years after announcing my intent to do so I haven't sent any in for binding.

My current internal argument is whether I want to get wrapped art covers (which requires me to do a lot of photoshop prep work before I even ship my box), or simply go for a standard buckram look on all of my collections and print DJs myself at some later point when I have tons of leisure time.

Also: Never sure what the max number of issues I should try to squeeze into a non-oversewn book should be.

Thoughts? I have a junker run of Savage She-Hulk ready to send in as an experiment, followed by about 3000 other comics
    Go for a standard buckram book and keep it that way, looks better and dust jackets just get in the way (IMO).

Fantastic Member

I had been mulling the idea of binding some runs for a while and just this weekend decided to do it. I decided I want to do art on cover, like Image or Dark Horse has been doing their hardcovers. I have Brian K. Vaughan's Swamp Thing Run ready to go and am only a couple issues short on Veitch and Millar's runs as well. So I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out how to make a cover. Problem is, I dont have Photoshop or anything like that. Anyone know of a program I could get, or even an app, that is free? Or is there another way to do it? I think pretty much all I need to do is cut and paste images together, but it would be nice to be able to tint images a certain color or to be able to overlay images. Like say putting a black and white image over a green background and still have the background show through. Does anyone know of any resources for doing this kind of thing?

Gimp is free software and does pretty much anything Photoshop does.

Alternatively, get free and legal Photoshop right here.
    Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 05-06-2014 at 08:33 AM.