Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I have soooooo many comics to bind, but the whole process still intimidates me and two years after announcing my intent to do so I haven't sent any in for binding.

My current internal argument is whether I want to get wrapped art covers (which requires me to do a lot of photoshop prep work before I even ship my box), or simply go for a standard buckram look on all of my collections and print DJs myself at some later point when I have tons of leisure time.

Also: Never sure what the max number of issues I should try to squeeze into a non-oversewn book should be.

Thoughts? I have a junker run of Savage She-Hulk ready to send in as an experiment, followed by about 3000 other comics
    I agree with Mr. Hermit. Regarding art covers, I just go with simple buckram and I am conservative with colours and lettering. I find there is a timeless appeal to plain hardcovers with just some lettering on the spine, like your collection carries a similar intellectual weight as a library of 19th century classics.

If you are in the US, Houchen is really good and makes the whole process painless. Go to their site and read the instructions they have there for comic binding.

As for number of issues per volume, it depends on whether you cut them up to remove ads and back covers or you get the entire issue bound (Smythe binding). If the former, you can get 25-30 pretty easily but I recommend closer to 20. I have the first 36 issues of New Teen Titans bound up in two volumes of 18 issues each and they are perfect for reading. Just use some good judgement - stack your issues after prepping them, factor in the thickness of the covers and go from there. It's really just personal preference.

Notes on prep: for DFAB, which is what I imagine you'll mostly use for old comics, remove the staples, cut out what ads you can and remove the back covers. Use a boxcutter razor knife. Then stack everything between two pieces of cardboard (backing boards of the type used when you bag comics are perfect). Secure everything with rubber bands to make a firm block of paper. Then affix the bindery's form to it with tape. This is the form that specifies colours, text, etc. You lay out what you want directly on the form.

For Smythe binding, just remove the staples and put the books together into a block as above.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Also: Never sure what the max number of issues I should try to squeeze into a non-oversewn book should be.
    The bindery will let you know, it's usually listed on their website if they specialize in comics. It's not a whole lot, custom bound comics tend to not be omnibus sized. I think around 15 issues is the most you'd want to do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    Sorry I didn't have time to snap any of the weekend, but here is the link to the ebay auction with lots of nice pics. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAREDEVIL-1-...vip=true&rt=nc
    Is there any reason the series goes from 119 to 500?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Is there any reason the series goes from 119 to 500?
    They went back to the original numbering when the 500th issue came out. They had previously restarted the number at #1 when Kevin Smith wrote his short run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Gimp is free software and does pretty much anything Photoshop does.

Alternatively, get free and legal Photoshop right here.
    Awesome, thanks for the help!

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I stumbled upon this thread on MMW that I thought was interesting. It seems like a good hybrid between boxing and binding. I wanted to get your guys opinion on something like this. It's just out of curiosity since I don't actually own any singles of my own to bind.
    Last edited by danmar85; 05-12-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Sorry if this is about off-topic, but I stumbled upon this thread on MMW that I thought it was interesting. It seems like a good hybrid between boxing and binding. I wanted to get your guys opinion on something like this. It's just out of curiosity since I don't actually own any singles of my own to bind.
    That looks like a pretty good middleground.

I'm not sure if I would ever do this to my comics, but those books look really nice.

Amazing Member

I just mailed off a batch to herring and robinson this morning.

Human Target
    Incredible Hulk Bruce Jones run
    Suicide Squad (1987)

Now the waiting begins.

Does anyone have any cool recommendations for series to bind? I'd like to do some Batman stuff but it seems like too much of that is crossover heavy and would be difficult to track down all the issues at a decent price.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I just mailed off a batch to herring and robinson this morning.

Human Target
    Incredible Hulk Bruce Jones run
    Suicide Squad (1987)

Now the waiting begins.

Does anyone have any cool recommendations for series to bind? I'd like to do some Batman stuff but it seems like too much of that is crossover heavy and would be difficult to track down all the issues at a decent price.
    Deathstroke by Wolfman!!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I stumbled upon this thread on MMW that I thought was interesting. It seems like a good hybrid between boxing and binding. I wanted to get your guys opinion on something like this. It's just out of curiosity since I don't actually own any singles of my own to bind.
    I think if you had books that you did not want to bind due to worth, this would be a good way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    Those are cool. I have debated getting some made for a while.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Just sent my first order to herring and Robinson. I'm getting The Spectre by Doug Moench done in two volumes.

Loren

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    Just sent my first order to herring and Robinson. I'm getting The Spectre by Doug Moench done in two volumes.
    I had the Ostander/Mandrake run bound by them just a few months ago. They didn't already have a Spectre die-stamp, so I did the Photoshop work needed to have one made:

Those look great. I'll post pics when I get mine in. It should be in the next two weeks.