Page 32 of 86 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Hey Grayson, one more question. Do you have a master list of maps for your binds? I post here sometimes because they used to have maps:
    http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...m#.WHAn_xsrJPb

For some reason though, their maps section went down and they've never put it back up. If you don't have a master list, do you know of any other sites that do?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    So if I'm using floppies and want to get them Smyth sewn, I can't take the ads and back covers out first before shipping them off?
    Correct, with smyth sewn books you can't have single pages, so you can't remove back covers and the only way you can remove double-sided ads is if it's two ads (so four comic pages with the fold in the middle) that are all ads.

I strongly recommend reading the FAQ at the masterworks binding forum: http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...Q#.WHAs9rYrK-o

There's a section on the different types of binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Hey Grayson, one more question. Do you have a master list of maps for your binds? I post here sometimes because they used to have maps:
    http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...m#.WHAn_xsrJPb

For some reason though, their maps section went down and they've never put it back up. If you don't have a master list, do you know of any other sites that do?
    No, I've posted some at comicbindingpro.com and some in my thread on the masterworks forum (KirkK is my username there) but I haven't posted all my maps. But I recommend searching that forum as well as the Binding Vault forum there, plus comicbinding.com has some as well. CanaryFarmer, a poster at the masterworks forum, also has a number of maps in GoogleDocs here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...R6ckc1dEk0T3c#

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Correct, with smyth sewn books you can't have single pages, so you can't remove back covers and the only way you can remove double-sided ads is if it's two ads (so four comic pages with the fold in the middle) that are all ads.

I strongly recommend reading the FAQ at the masterworks binding forum: http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...Q#.WHAs9rYrK-o

There's a section on the different types of binding.

No, I've posted some at comicbindingpro.com and some in my thread on the masterworks forum (KirkK is my username there) but I haven't posted all my maps. But I recommend searching that forum as well as the Binding Vault forum there, plus comicbinding.com has some as well. CanaryFarmer, a poster at the masterworks forum, also has a number of maps in GoogleDocs here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/f...R6ckc1dEk0T3c#
    Thanks Grayson! Much appreciated!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Curious if anyone has a Morrison Batman roadmap. I'll share the couple I'm considering when I can sit down at a computer. But would like to see what others have done. This will be my first bind and I want to get it right since it's such a sprawling story. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Curious if anyone has a Morrison Batman roadmap. I'll share the couple I'm considering when I can sit down at a computer. But would like to see what others have done. This will be my first bind and I want to get it right since it's such a sprawling story. Thanks!
    Here's the order I like best:

52 #30
    52 #47
    Batman #655-658
    Batman #663-669
    *Resurrection of Ra's (could include the whole thing, or just the Morrison issues, Batman #670-671)
    Batman #672-675
    DCU #0 (just the Batman/Joker pages; included at beginning of RIP TPB too)
    Batman #676-681
    Final Crisis (new TPB since it includes pages done for the Absolute plus the Last Rites issues)

Batman & Robin #1-9
    Batman #700
    B&R #10
    Return of Bruce Wayne #1
    B&R #11
    ROBW #2
    B&R #12
    ROBW #3
    Batman #701-702
    B&R #13
    ROBW #4
    B&R #14
    ROBW #5
    B&R #15
    ROBW #6
    B&R #16
    Batman: The Return #1

Then all the Batman Inc material. The Batman & Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Time & The Batman stuff is Chris Burnham's preferred order, and it works well.

52 #30
    52 #47
    Batman #655-658
    Batman #663-669
    *Resurrection of Ra's (could include the whole thing, or just the Morrison issues, Batman #670-671)
    Batman #672-675
    Batman #676-681
    Final Crisis (new TPB since it includes pages done for the Absolute plus the Last Rites issues)

Batman & Robin #1-9
    Batman #700
    B&R #10
    Return of Bruce Wayne #1
    B&R #11
    ROBW #2
    B&R #12
    ROBW #3
    Batman #701-702
    B&R #13
    ROBW #4
    B&R #14
    ROBW #5
    B&R #15
    ROBW #6
    B&R #16

Then all the Batman Inc material. The Batman & Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Time & The Batman stuff is Chris Burnham's preferred order, and it works well.
    Looks like what I have I think. I think I like the Burnham order...was worried the switching between titles would hurt the flow. I think I'll read them in that order and see how it flows.

Just want to make sure I get it right! Pulling some extras together to include as well. Hoping to have it sent off by end of month at latest. After that I'll do my Hitman bind...
    Last edited by bobellis75; 01-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.

52 #30
    52 #47
    Batman #655-658
    Batman #663-669
    Batman #672-675
    Batman #676-681

Batman & Robin #1-9
    Batman #700
    B&R #10
    Return of Bruce Wayne #1
    B&R #11
    ROBW #2
    B&R #12
    ROBW #3
    Batman #701-702
    B&R #13
    ROBW #4
    B&R #14
    ROBW #5
    B&R #15
    ROBW #6
    B&R #16

Then all the Batman Inc material. The Batman & Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Time & The Bartman stuff is Chris Burnham's preferred order, and it works well.
    Also do you include the entire 52 issues up front or certain pages? I'm including the Gaiman whatever happened to the caped crusader as well. I have also considered removing the resurrection of Ra's issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Also do you include the entire 52 issues up front or certain pages? I'm including the Gaiman whatever happened to the caped crusader as well. I have also considered removing the resurrection of Ra's issues.
    #30 is mostly Batman with a little Renee/Batwoman stuff in the middle and Nightwing/Batwoman at the end; it's the Batman Thogal ritual stuff that's important
    #47 it's the first two pages and the last two pages only

Speaking of 52, if you wanted, you could keep the end of #30 with Nightwing and Batwoman meeting and include the first few pages from #33 where the two of them exchange gifts, as it does get briefly referenced during the Batman & Robin arc with Batwoman (specifically #8.)

I don't have the floppies with me to recall what non-Batman materials shares pages with the Batman stuff, so can't say what you can remove (unless you're smyth sewing, then I doubt much can be removed from #30, but #47 you might be able to remove all the middle content without having to tear anything.)

But if you have the time, I always recommend reading your proposed order to make sure it works and you like it, of course. With binding you can do things any way you want, so while there may be a "correct" reading order, it's your own personal bind, you can do whatever you like. And certainly when it comes to Batman there are lots of options and no one definitive right way to do anything. Lots of folks like to include Whatever Happened... others throw in Battle for the Cowl. If I did it, I would stick strictly to Morrison's material only. That's part of the fun

#30 is mostly Batman with a little Renee/Batwoman stuff in the middle and Nightwing/Batwoman at the end; it's the Batman Thogal ritual stuff that's important
    #47 it's the first two pages and the last two pages only

Speaking of 52, if you wanted, you could keep the end of #30 with Nightwing and Batwoman meeting and include the first few pages from #33 where the two of them exchange gifts, as it does get briefly referenced during the Batman & Robin arc with Batwoman (specifically #8.)

I don't have the floppies with me to recall what non-Batman materials shares pages with the Batman stuff, so can't say what you can remove (unless you're smyth sewing, then I doubt much can be removed from #30, but #47 you might be able to remove all the middle content without having to tear anything.)

But if you have the time, I always recommend reading your proposed order to make sure it works and you like it, of course. With binding you can do things any way you want, so while there may be a "correct" reading order, it's your own personal bind, you can do whatever you like. And certainly when it comes to Batman there are lots of options and no one definitive right way to do anything. Lots of folks like to include Whatever Happened... others throw in Battle for the Cowl. If I did it, I would stick strictly to Morrison's material only. That's part of the fun
    Some of the stuff where it's certain pages I need is just use scans. Have them printed and trimmed to correct size. So it wouldn't be an issue of taking books apart.

But anyway I'll have them bound DFAB.

I already have high resolution versions of the relevant pages from DCU #0 for example.

Regarding Batman again. Meant to ask...does anyone else have a misprinted #700 with the first few pages included twice, back to back?

Edit: was able to track down a correctly printed version at a local shop. Problem solved.
    Last edited by bobellis75; 01-07-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Here's a question or discussion...what do most of you guys do for covers and what do you prefer? I was pretty set on doing a graphic cover but kinda digging the simple cloth covers. Just simple and classy.

Thoughts? What do you guys like?

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

That's a great question for discussion. It's cool to see people's different preferences when it comes to binding and what they do for covers. I'm like you in that I prefer simple buckram covers because of the fact they're classy as you said and look great on a bookshelf. If you can get die stamps for logos on those covers to personalize them or just to make them look like the real comic company hardcovers (or at least they the ways they used to make them at this point) then even better. But there ''s nothing wrong with no die stamps either. In fact my next binds are most probably not going to have die stamps as I'm going to be trying a local bindery that doesn't make them.

As for art on cover if you're technologically inclined and can put in the time and effort to do so, those are great as well. Funny thing , I used to hate those things because I used to think they came off looking like kids books but I have really started to love them because of the masterful talent of Dick Grayson as he's shown in these forums and elsewhere. If I could do them like that I would. But to each their own. All that really matters at the end is you finding what you like for your binds. Heck if you can or open to it, you should try as many different styles as you want. For me it's all about getting my comics out of the long boxes or out of softcover form and into hardcover format and on a shelf.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Amazing Member

I've done a number of binds and I always do the buckram cover. I like the old school library look to them. Its like going to the bottom floor and finding all the old World Book Encyclopedias or something like that. Plus they are all uniform and cheaper.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I've done a number of binds and I always do the buckram cover. I like the old school library look to them. Its like going to the bottom floor and finding all the old World Book Encyclopedias or something like that. Plus they are all uniform and cheaper.
    You nailed it - that's EXACTLY what they make me think of!

Also, with the art-on-cover, it's just too high-pressure for me with no room for error. Even if you get your artwork completely perfect, you don't get to press check the colors or approve the alignment. Having worked in professional print settings, there's no way I'd do that remotely. Thus, I'll just do dust jackets on my own at some point.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Funny, the reason you guys like buckram is the reason I always disliked it - they like a bunch of old encyclopedias, which I find boring But that's why binding is cool, you do whatever you like best.

I did want to point out though, that it's actually the same price or cheaper to do art on cover versus cloth covers if you're doing the covers yourself. And definitely cheaper when compared to doing cloth covers and adding die stamps and more panel lines etc. But I understand not everyone can do covers themselves, obviously. You can certainly do uniform layouts with graphic covers too, and it's not like a bindery can't screw up stamping text on a cover (though there are less variables involved certainly!) But I've found if a cover turns out really screwed up, it's not a problem for it to be replaced if the error is on the bindery's side, and it's not as if replacing the cover affects the bound material in any way. Heck, I've actually redone some of my earlier binds' covers now that I'm better at Photoshop. Not a big deal.

Or as Krisis said, you can do the best of both worlds and get cloth covers and add dust jackets.