Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

We were just mentioning this in another thread here. I need to get my first 7-8 issues of Byrne's Alpha Flight done, and the rest of AF vol 1 done.
    I am going to read through this thread because I have no clue how to go about it.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    We were just mentioning this in another thread here. I need to get my first 7-8 issues of Byrne's Alpha Flight done, and the rest of AF vol 1 done.
    I am going to read through this thread because I have no clue how to go about it.
    It took me an agonizing two years to finally feel like I was organized enough to pull the trigger, and while I haven't actually learned all that much so far I'm happy to provide any advice I can . I'll be sending out my second batch next weekend after the holiday rush at the post office has ended.

It is 1000% more satisfying to page through the issues of a series in a handy, light-weight bound format than pull them out of bags and boards one at a time - and, I have to say, the old, faded, non-glossy pages don't even bother me too much. For a treasured run I'd probably want the upgrade to a collected edition, but I think for something more ancillary I'd be just as happy to bind it myself to get it in the order I want to read it in.
    Last edited by krisis; 12-17-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    It took me an agonizing two years to finally feel like I was organized enough to pull the trigger, and while I haven't actually learned all that much so far I'm happy to provide any advice I can . I'll be sending out my second batch next weekend after the holiday rush at the post office has ended.

I have to say, it is 1000% more satisfying to page through the issues of a series in a handy, light-weight bound format than pull them out of bags and boards one at a time - and, I have to say, the old, faded, non-glossy pages don't even bother me too much. For a treasured run I'd probably want the upgrade to a collected edition, but I think for something more ancillary I'd be just as happy to bind it myself to get it in the order I want to read it in.
    Thank you, Krisis!
    I just have to look and get an idea for what I want, and learn what the different things are.

I really love that Sub-Mariner binding you had done.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

This is fantastic idea! I'm so happy I notice this thread!! I hate the clutter my beloved floppies create. Even when they're all neatly organized in a box, I feel like they're a terrible mess. If I get it done, I'll post a picture.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Finally, I have my first two bound books - and I am already addicted! They are both from Herring & Robinson, and took about 8wks total from send to receipt.

The two projects were The Savage She-Hulk #1-25 handsewn and The Saga of the Sub-Mariner #1-12 (+ Prince Namor, Sub-Mariner #1-4, to expand the last few pages of Saga to the full story) oversewn. These were both junker runs I had for cheap but also really wanted to see collected, so they seemed like good experiments.

[click through for larger photos]

Looking good!

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of binding in Canada. It seems like it will be a very expensive process no matter what I do.
    Miller was right.

Good call on Suicide Squad. Did you do multiple books for that title, or did you do an early part of the run? And which issues did you put in?

I'm planning to do a hardcover collection of the Pfeifer/Alvarez run on Catwoman. It'll be the issues/sections I like, around 23-25 issues. I might add Heart of Hush (Dini), as well as the two Catwoman-based conclusion issues in Batman & Detective Comics (which weren't included in the HoH trade, hence the reason I'll want to put this in), if I can fit 30 issues into one book.

Question:
    I'm thinking of having my 'Wolverine Epic Collection: Madripoor Nights' bound into a HC and I was thinking of binding the missing 4 issue Wolverine special by Claremont/Miller with the Epic Collection. Does anyone know of a release of the Claremont/Miller issues that would fit with the Epic Collection size wise? I've been looking around and dimensions for both books have been the same on some sites and then just a little off on others so I was wondering if anybody had the epic collection and a collection of the 4 issue special both and could compare them?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by World1 View Post
    Question:
    I'm thinking of having my 'Wolverine Epic Collection: Madripoor Nights' bound into a HC and I was thinking of binding the missing 4 issue Wolverine special by Claremont/Miller with the Epic Collection. Does anyone know of a release of the Claremont/Miller issues that would fit with the Epic Collection size wise? I've been looking around and dimensions for both books have been the same on some sites and then just a little off on others so I was wondering if anybody had the epic collection and a collection of the 4 issue special both and could compare them?
    I think you want ISBN 978-0785137245, which should be standard TPB size to match your Epic, but I'm not 100% sure they're exact.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

FYI to everyone: Herring and Robinson and Houchen Bindery have both increased their prices. Also, H&R is no longer producing custom die stamps.

Question:
    The trade will be the same size. There may be a minor difference due to trimming at the printer but the bindery will trim the book flush anyway and those issues have more than enough margin to cover it.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    FYI to everyone: Herring and Robinson and Houchen Bindery have both increased their prices. Also, H&R is no longer producing custom die stamps.

The trade will be the same size. There may be a minor difference due to trimming at the printer but the bindery will trim the book flush anyway and those issues have more than enough margin to cover it.
    The trade mentioned above?

The trade mentioned above?
    Any trade. They're all the same size.
    Miller was right.

That she hulk....I really want to do that.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    What are the price increases? I went on the Houchen website and I don't know if the prices listed have changed, but the site still states the prices as being, "effective July 1, 2012."

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    What are the price increases? I went on the Houchen website and I don't know if the prices listed have changed, but the site still states the prices as being, "effective July 1, 2012."

Miller was right.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Great motivation to get books out this weekend!