Page 51 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    So final piece of advice, is there anything I should fix with my Jeph Loep omni cover before I send the books off?
    I'm still finishing my two Snyder/Capullo covers, so this is the first one I've completed.

ok so I'm not a graphic designer but here are my 2cents:
    on the front cover all the creator names should be the same size. Also Sale and Lee's name seems squashed, I think the distance between the letters should be increased.
    The top image on the spine need some contrast so the black will blend in with the spine's black. Not sure if it's just the resolution of this image you posted but the edges of the letters don't look that sharp. Don't know if there is any such option in gimp but in photoshop you can set the letters to "crisp" which will make them look sharper.
    I think there is too much text to fit on the back cover and it looks crowded and squashed, hard to read. Also I would change the blue text to red (same red and yellow as on the frontcover).

Here is something I'm not sure about: you have one type of font on the front but a different on the spine and the back. Maybe it should be the same all over or the same on the spine and the front at least?
    I'm interested what others say, I only dabble in graphic design a bit I',m more of an illustrator but it's a skillset I wish I learned.

BTW I like the direction of this cover.

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:10 PM.

I'm having a little problem with "Eisner-award winning creators" cause it cuts off Jim Lee)

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd post some of the recent/semi-recent binds I've designed. I'm settled here in Japan, so have time to take on a few design jobs from time to time, so feel free to message me if you need any covers or contents pages designed.

First up, the classic Checkmate series in two volumes:

Here's the cover to one volume of a three volume Justice League set, as well as the spines:

And here's a couple Mark Millar-related volumes. One collecting some of his Marvel work, another of his Swamp Thing run:

I can just cut that bit I guess, it was a carry over from when it was just Loeb / Sale. Is there a better phrasing that doesn't dismiss Lee?
    nothing comes to mind, sorry.Always prefeared as much textless as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    And here's a couple Mark Millar-related volumes. One collecting some of his Marvel work, another of his Swamp Thing run:

Hey that swamp thing one looks familiar

I can definitely use the same font on the front for consistency and I wasn't sure about the blue myself. The fuzzy text is from compressing the image to post here. (it was over 25mb before).

It's also a good shout to blend any black backgrounds and edges. I think the text reads easily at a high resolution and size, but I'll trim it a bit.

The names being different sizes was more to designate Loeb as the main creator, he's the only one to contribute to all 4 stories. But I'll definitely look into tidying the names when I change the font.

I appreciate all the feedback
    Be careful with that text you have running along the edge of the front cover...make sure you're not too close to the edge/bleed area.

I like the direction of the cover. I think the red font color in the creator names doesn't stand out from the background enough...maybe put a stroke around it to make pop a bit? I'd make the creator names all the same size, as well...keep it nice and uniform. On the spine - not a fan of the comma between creator names....(little things like that can make a difference). I'd just put maybe a little dot or something between each name and just say Batman and then below that have Loeb * Sale * Lee (or use first names if you want, still).

Another way to go is pull the names down below...so have Batman Omnibus running vertically, then below that have the names run horizontal and stack them like:

Jeph Loeb
    Tim Sale
    Jim Lee

(center them, probably)

These are totally just things you COULD change...I am digging the look...but I have another buddy who designs some stuff and he and I bounce ideas back and forth like this all the time, and it really helps get the creative juices going sometimes.

It's been awhile, so I thought I'd post some of the recent/semi-recent binds I've designed. I'm settled here in Japan, so have time to take on a few design jobs from time to time, so feel free to message me if you need any covers or contents pages designed.

Nice...digging these a lot! Good to see you're back to designing some stuff.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Dick Grayson! It's been too long! It hasn't been the same without you! Great use of the bullet logo man! And a classic series in general! Welcome back!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 04:08 PM.