Page 6 of 86 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Rich711

Hey, I took 2 years off of binding comics while going back to school now that I am done with school I am looking back into the hobby. I don't see many on EBay are people not doing anymore or is there somewhere else people are selling them. After hauling my collection of 50+ from West Coast to East Coast and back again, I wasnt to downsize my collection before making more. Most of my binds have autographs and original artwork, is there a place other than Ebay that Comic Binders are now using?

Incredible Member

Resurrecting this thread as my first two custom binds were just delivered by the courier.

I sent two books off to Riley Dunn & Wilson as a test as this was the first time I'd gotten anything custom bound. I sent off Futures End #0-24 and Justice League United #0-10 + Annual #1 (Annual #1 bound in correct order between issues 5 and 6).

I am so very pleased with the results.

They covers themselves are pretty plains, Justice League United in blue and Futures End in black. Plain fronts and simple lettering on the spine, in time I'll get some custom dustjackets made for them so I didn't need anything too fancy.

Last edited by drd; 06-22-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Incredible Member

almost zero gutter loss.

I am very, very happy with these, this is definitely how I am going to deal with my longbox storage problems going forwards. Now to sort out the funds and pick up a couple of missing crossover issues to get some more runs bound!
    Last edited by drd; 06-22-2015 at 03:22 AM.

I've posted some pics of my books in the DC Collected Editions thread, I didn't even realize there was a dedicated binding thread!

So I actually much prefer the art on cover route (nothing against the buckram/leather covers though!) and have been binding my books for a few years now and have built up quite a collection:

There's some official stuff in that pic, but the vast majority are binds. I've really gotten into having an interlocking spine image, like with the Superman and Supergirl binds pictured in the above. Here's a better look at the Supergirl spines:

I got lucky and bound Suicide Squad just before all the TV/movie announcements caused the back issues to skyrocket thanks to speculators; I found the whole run in .75 bins for the most part:

I've also started binding books for others. I do cover/table of contents design, prep work, and work with the bindery. That way folks who either don't have time or just don't have the graphic design skills, and/or don't want to worry about messing up their books trying to prep them, can just send me the books and leave it to me. My favorite designs for others so far was a Bronze age Batman set I did for a member of this board actually:

Of if folks just want some art designed, I can do that. So if that's something anyone here would be interested in, feel free to check out my site (or if you just want to see more pics!) www.comicbindingpro.com or PM me (END OF ADVERTISEMENT!)

But yeah, binding is the best. I much prefer a pretty shelf and easy to access hardcovers to longboxes and dealing with bags and boards. There is no contest.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Thanks for resurrecting this thread drd! Great Books! And Mr Grayson I have always enjoyed seeing your work at the other board. Love that most of your collection s made of uncollected or hard to find DC comics from a period that I love and still cherish today. Keep up the beautiful work!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Great thread resurrection. Yea, Mr Dick Grayson does wonderful work and has great communication skills. He did that Bronze Age Batman bind for me and Knightfall and Moench/Jones and has done an amazing job. Worth every penny.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I'm glad this has been resurrected, as I have SO MANY BOOKS waiting to go out - and I'm not even doing custom covers, since I have a large format printer at my disposal and can do dust jackets later. It just takes me forever to feel like I have the books pruned appropriately and in the right order. Sometimes by the time I get it right there's an official collection of the material!

One question I've always had: What weight, brightness, and gloss of paper do you use for your TOCs so they hold color well and don't stick out too much?
    Last edited by krisis; 07-07-2015 at 06:59 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    One question I've always had: What weight, brightness, and gloss of paper do you use for your TOCs so they hold color well and don't stick out too much?
    I go to Kinkos and use their standard color laser paper, which I believe is 24lbs. I also use this when I have prestige format books and don't want to include the cardstock covers (the thickness makes the covers really stick out), so I just scan and print them.

And thanks for the compliments guys I just sent off a massive batch (16 books!!!) yesterday, will post pics once I receive them. It'll have the Dixon Nightwing run in three volumes, four volumes containing Mike Grell's Green Arrow, some more Teen Titans, Ostrander's Wasteland and his Spectre run (two volumes), various other odds and ends.

Some of the other binding experts may have more accurate answer for you Krisis but I believe 24lb paper is the best when it comes to modern glossy paper. I don't know what to do for the old newprint though. Then again , I haven't done TOC;s for my previous binds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    I go to Kinkos and use their standard color laser paper, which I believe is 24lbs. I also use this when I have prestige format books and don't want to include the cardstock covers (the thickness makes the covers really stick out), so I just scan and print them.

And thanks for the compliments guys I just sent off a massive batch (16 books!!!) yesterday, will post pics once I receive them. It'll have the Dixon Nightwing run in three volumes, four volumes containing Mike Grell's Green Arrow, some more Teen Titans, Ostrander's Wasteland and his Spectre run (two volumes), various other odds and ends.
    Ah there ya go Krisis, an experts answer!

@ Dick Grayson: looking forward to seeing pics of your binds...those are some classic runs!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

That is amazing, Dick Grayson! Great work!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    I've posted some pics of my books in the DC Collected Editions thread, I didn't even realize there was a dedicated binding thread!

So I actually much prefer the art on cover route (nothing against the buckram/leather covers though!) and have been binding my books for a few years now and have built up quite a collection:

You wouldn't happen to have more pics of your Wonder Woman vol.'s 3-4 would you?

I just pulled out some duplicate copies of my Messner-Loebs' run and was thinking of taking my first step into the binding world...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    You wouldn't happen to have more pics of your Wonder Woman vol.'s 3-4 would you?

I just pulled out some duplicate copies of my Messner-Loebs' run and was thinking of taking my first step into the binding world...
    I'd really just love whatever mapping of Wonder Woman you have! I managed to collect from Pre-Crisis #220 through pre-FlashPoint in floppies, but mapping in her various crossovers has been a beast.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I'd really just love whatever mapping of Wonder Woman you have! I managed to collect from Pre-Crisis #220 through pre-FlashPoint in floppies, but mapping in her various crossovers has been a beast.
    I haven't even tried that yet (nor would I, now that I think about it).

The reason I thought Messner-Loebs run would make for a nice binding project is that it's almost completely self-contained; the exception being the 1992 annual that was part of the Eclipso: The Darkness Within crossover. But the crossover threads are tangential; most of the story relates to what was happening in the monthly.

Wonder Woman Vol. 2 doesn't really get messy though until the last couple years. She's featured in most major crossovers/events, but via her appearances in various Justice League books. Rucka's run (#195-226) is amazing, but often pulled into/effected by what's happening in the wider DCU.

This is all my experience of course, YMMV.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES