Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1198
  1. #1141
    All-New Member Voodoo King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Southern US
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    Value is ultimately determined by the buyer. Now, would I bind a copy of Action Comics #1, or even something like a first appearance of Deadpool? No, of course it'd be worth less having been sewn through or glued etc. rather than a slabbed & graded copy in good shape.

    BUT most comics published after a certain point aren't worth much to begin with, and binding them makes them more desirable to many. When I got rid of most of my collection, I can say without a doubt, I sold the vast majority of my binds for significantly more than I'd have gotten trying to sell the issues as a lot. So take from that what you will.
    Thanks....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    What value?
    Was what I was asking...Dick Grayson cleared it up for me though...I can see how binding would make sense now.

  2. #1142
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    I was asking for advice and feedback on and off throughout last year on some custom binds.
    I finally got them back today. The custom binds were done by Hollingworth & Moss in Leeds, UK.

    There are a total of 8 books, so the posts and pictures would need to take up a whole page honestly.
    I'm going to post them over 3 days, starting today, to avoid the first ones getting buried.

    So, I get to start with the 2 Superman books today, which I easily asked the most advice about.
    They were done with a mix of trades & single issues. As many ads / back covers were removed as possible.

    These are the front covers.




    These are the spines.




    And these are the back covers.



    They are monsters. These books are mapped chronologically, from Byrne's Man of Steel up to Action Comics 1000.
    There was no way to fit all that in two books, so it had to be key storylines, moments, milestones etc.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-23-2020 at 04:02 AM.

  3. #1143
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    To make the story flow and work, I took some advice and added explainer pages or recaps.

    So, for example you can see the Golden Age, Bronze Age & Silver Age got recap pages, while
    some series were too important, like Death and Return or Infinite Crisis, so those pages tell you when to take a break and read them.




    The events that were more specific to Superman got pages like this.




    While big DC Events got more elaborate pages like this.

    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-23-2020 at 04:03 AM.

  4. #1144
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Volume 1 starts out with a mix of Secret Origins and Man of Steel.
    They work great together if you remove one page from Man of Steel #2.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.



    Storylines like Eradication, Death & Return, Our Worlds at War, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, New Krypton
    etc. couldn't fit and got recaps or suggestions at the right moment to read them.

    For things such as Lois and Clark marrying, I tried to condense it, without missing the big stuff.
    So, Lois finding out his secret identity in AC #662, his proposal in Sup' #53, Lois' quest to come to terms with marrying Superman in Sup' #118 and the Wedding Album issue etc are in there.

    Otherwise it was about capturing his major moments. His relationship with Batman, his exposure to Kryptonite,
    his decision to kill Kryptonians in Exile, his major villains and their best arcs, losing his powers and the reintroduction of Kara to continuity etc.


    Volume 2 follows in the events of Flashpoint, so we have some New 52 stories.
    It's mostly just recaps and Men of Tomorrow, until we get to Convergence and the birth of Jon Kent.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.



    Stuff like Flashpoint, H'el on Earth, Rebirth and Dark Nights Metal etc. couldn't fit and got recaps or suggestions at the right moment to read them.

    After Convergence, you follow the Clark family (OG Superman) and the 'death' of New 52 Superman.
    There's a solid chunk of Rebirth stories, the continuity fixes with Reborn and we end with AC #1000.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-23-2020 at 04:04 AM.

  5. #1145
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    I get to post 4 more books today. These were the most straightforward of the 8 books.

    The first 2 are for Batman.

    These are the front covers.




    These are the spines + an example of the Table of Contents Pages.




    And these are the back covers.




    They aren't as ridiculously huge as the Superman books. They collect all the non-DC, publisher
    crossovers between Batman and other characters, in 15-year chunks.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-23-2020 at 02:55 AM.

  6. #1146
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    The following 2 are for Hellboy.

    These are the front covers.




    These are the spines + an example of the Credits Pages.




    And these are the back covers.




    The release of the paperback omni's really made the mapping easy.
    I just concentrated on making the books look as accurate and legitimate as possible.
    Last edited by JoeGuy; 02-23-2020 at 02:56 AM.

  7. #1147
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,229

    Default

    @JoeGuy, very cool books! Great job.

  8. #1148
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Really nice!

  9. #1149
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    @Raffi @noethjason

    Thanks

    The final 2 books I had custom bound were Spider-Man books.
    Which are actually my first Marvel custom binds.

    These are the front covers.




    These are the spines.




    And these are the back covers.


  10. #1150
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    The Superior Spider-Man volume was definitely the more straightforward of the 2.
    It starts out as you'd expect and follows chronologically until the end of the 2018 series.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.




    The only difficult part was fitting in the team-up titles, which absolutely break the flow and make no sense if you just map it by release.
    So, I had to smooth out the mapping slightly to time the team-up stories to just before or after certain events.


    The Spider-Verse story was a bit more complicated if I'm being honest.
    The story spans all of Spider-verse, The Clone Conspiracy and Spider-geddon.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.




    Fitting all the tie-ins, event issues etc. took some smoothing over and it wasn't possible to just break up trade-paperbacks and map it out.
    Many times, the final pages were on the back of a different issue's cover page, which also wasn't the next issue chronologically.
    So, I had to create nearly 30 double-sided custom pages for orphaned pages or covers.

  11. #1151
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    The Superior Spider-Man volume was definitely the more straightforward of the 2.
    It starts out as you'd expect and follows chronologically until the end of the 2018 series.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.




    The only difficult part was fitting in the team-up titles, which absolutely break the flow and make no sense if you just map it by release.
    So, I had to smooth out the mapping slightly to time the team-up stories to just before or after certain events.


    The Spider-Verse story was a bit more complicated if I'm being honest.
    The story spans all of Spider-verse, The Clone Conspiracy and Spider-geddon.

    You can see the Credits and Table of Contents here for the books mapping.




    Fitting all the tie-ins, event issues etc. took some smoothing over and it wasn't possible to just break up trade-paperbacks and map it out.
    Many times, the final pages were on the back of a different issue's cover page, which also wasn't the next issue chronologically.
    So, I had to create nearly 30 double-sided custom pages for orphaned pages or covers.
    An amazing project. It is clear to me that it is a passion project. If may I ask. How much did you pay for one book? I checked the website you mentioned about, but I would be grateful for approx. cost of one book.

  12. #1152
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrus7 View Post
    An amazing project. It is clear to me that it is a passion project. If may I ask. How much did you pay for one book? I checked the website you mentioned about, but I would be grateful for approx. cost of one book.
    Sure. I basically pick everything except a dust jacket, so graphic cover, ribbon, head/tail bands, at least 4 content pages, end pages etc. Which works out at just about 30/€35

    The only thing that swings the price is shipping. If you only get 1 book done that's possibly ~12 each way. But it's still 12 if you send 3 books. So my attitude is to get at least 3 done at a time to offset the shipping.

    I got way more than 4 content pages on average and shipped 8 books, so realistically it was closer to 42/€50 with shipping both ways.

  13. #1153
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Sure. I basically pick everything except a dust jacket, so graphic cover, ribbon, head/tail bands, at least 4 content pages, end pages etc. Which works out at just about 30/35

    The only thing that swings the price is shipping. If you only get 1 book done that's possibly ~12 each way. But it's still 12 if you send 3 books. So my attitude is to get at least 3 done at a time to offset the shipping.

    I got way more than 4 content pages on average and shipped 8 books, so realistically it was closer to 42/50 with shipping both ways.
    Thank you. The pricing is very reasonable. Which type of binding did you choose? Thank you in advance

  14. #1154
    Incredible Member JoeGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    614

    Default

    I tried both glued and oversewn. The ones in the picture are oversewn.

    I like the oversewn better, the pages lay flatter and the spine looks nice with the curve.

  15. #1155
    Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Gotham City, Earth 666
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Congrats Joe ...those turned out real nice! First time seeing art on cover books from Hollingsworth and moss...hope you get a chance to re - read them soon!
    And then there were none...


    Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

    The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •