Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mxy Calls New52 Superman Red, and SuperDad Blue

Action Comics (2011-2016), 3rd collection:

Action Comics 775:

Okay, he doesn't *quite* call New52 Superman Red there directly, but...
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Well, it could just be a reference to what a bunch of people used to call Superman, Big Blue. At least, I'm pretty sure people have called him that in the past.

he doesn't necessarily call N52 Supes "Red" in those scans, though that doesn't mean you aren't on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Well, it could just be a reference to what a bunch of people used to call Superman, Big Blue. At least, I'm pretty sure people have called him that in the past.

yeah...was about to say the same thing..Superman is often call big blue boy scout

Fantastic Member

The panel from this week is intriguing.

But the older one is from Morrison's run and there is absolutely no way that killing off New 52 Superman was in the plans back then. And he definitely wasn't being called red –*at all. And, moreover, it was Vyndktvx who was playing that game, not Mxyzptlk.

As to the newer one, "Blue" is the main color of Superman's uniform. "Big Blue," "Big Blue Boy Scout" and other variants are common nicknames for Superman.

If Morrison were still the writer on a six-year run, then I might believe that he'd planted the clue way back then. But he isn't.

Didn't Superwoman #8 basically confirm the red/blue thing? I read that issue, though the whole ghost thing is confusing.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

We're obviously dealing with red and blue Superman stuff here, it's right on the cover, but Mxy saying blue might have been a coincidence. Under the same Jurgens' pen, he called Wally "Red."

Incredible Member

Yeah, this isn't 1:1... But boy would I love if this theory worked out this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post

I'm not aware of anyone else referring to Superman as "Big Blue Cheese".
    And was that "Captain Thunder" from Superman #276 back in 1974 (a character based on the Original Captain Marvel, a.k.a. "The Big Red Cheese"?)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yes, "big blue cheese" was just that one issue, but "big blue" was definitely a nickname tossed around.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Didn't Superwoman #8 basically confirm the red/blue thing? I read that issue, though the whole ghost thing is confusing.
    I need to reread Superwoman #8. I don't remember reading anything about red/blue.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

You know, Nuperman becoming "whole" again with Superdad could be interpreted as him getting back what he "lost" with Vyn's attack on him. He'd be a diverging timeline that's finally being set right.

Because, if we're being technical, Nuperman's life isn't the New 52 life he was supposed to have. The one he was supposed to have was actually supposed to be a lot closer to Pre-52 from the looks of his visions while fighting Comet, and Mrs. N's words. He would've had basically the pre-52 life but with a few updates to the aesthetics.

It's almost like the universe found a "loophole" and is giving Nuperman the life he should've had as the man he should've been.

Anyways, that's how I'm gonna read it. Anyone is welcome to disagree.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm not aware of anyone else referring to Superman as "Big Blue Cheese".
    And was that "Captain Thunder" from Superman #276 back in 1974 (a character based on the Original Captain Marvel, a.k.a. "The Big Red Cheese"?)
    The point is, people have referred to Superman as "Big Blue" or "Blue" before. Not a stretch that Mxy would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You know, Nuperman becoming "whole" again with Superdad could be interpreted as him getting back what he "lost" with Vyn's attack on him. He'd be a diverging timeline that's finally being set right.

Because, if we're being technical, Nuperman's life isn't the New 52 life he was supposed to have. The one he was supposed to have was actually supposed to be a lot closer to Pre-52 from the looks of his visions while fighting Comet, and Mrs. N's words. He would've had basically the pre-52 life but with a few updates to the aesthetics.

It's almost like the universe found a "loophole" and is giving Nuperman the life he should've had as the man he should've been.

Anyways, that's how I'm gonna read it. Anyone is welcome to disagree.
    You'll get no disagreements from me...I've actually come to the same conclusion myself. Nuperman's life was derailed by Vyn and technically by Harvest because in the future Harvest and Jon Lane Kent are from, Lois and Clark got married and had Jon,who was kidnapped by Harvest,who came to the present, and created a mess on top of what Vyn created. Nuperman's timeline is basically a ruined one similar to The Flash tv shows...it turned out the way it did because of villains. The Ultimate Superman is the final triumph of good over evil.

Hmm... Does anyone else miss the more cutesy Elvish-Alien design from Morrison's run? This "old man in a Jetsons cosplay" isn't nearly as "fun" as the pointy-eared charmer in an orange suit.

I mean I guess this doesn't really have much to do with the rest of the thread, but that Mxy and his relative affection for his "favorite trick" Superman seems a lot more chill than the weirdly villainous looking one facing down Clark above. If Mxy was really evil, he'd just be Vyndktvx! Not that I know that the more post-Crisis lookin' Mxy is "evil", but he sure doesn't seem to be the fairly harmless prankster implied in the earlier days of the New 52.
    Last edited by Adekis; 03-10-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."