View Poll Results: Best Rebirth Superman Series?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Action Comics by Dan Jurgens

18 42.86%
  • Superman by Peter J Tomasi

24 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rebirth: Action Comics vs. Superman

Which one have you liked more, so far?
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don't think it's much o a discussion, Superman is the objectively better title. It actually delivers on the concept of superman having a family, heat felt moments...I can keep going.

BANNED

Tomasi and Gleason's 'Superman' is the best 'Superman' has been since Busiek's run on the book. I'm not as enthralled with it as most other people, but I do think it's ranged from good to great after the conclusion of the first arc.

'Action Comics' by Jurgens has been terrible, and maybe the worst the book has been since the latter half of the Nightwing/Flamebird story that was running in Action during the New Krypton saga.

So to me, it isn't even close. 'Superman' is clearly better.

I didn't like Action comic's first arc with Doomsday, but the title really picked it up with the SuperLex and Lois and fake-Clark date arcs. IDK, I like Superman for the more character driven family stuff, but I also liked the use of mystery and even a little suspense from action comics. Also Superman can get filler-y sometimes, like that issue that's all about Jon hallucinating in the woods. But besides that I've honestly never enjoyed the Superman line this much as it is currently.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 03-13-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'd have to go with Superman, BUT I also have been enjoying Action as just solid Superman action stories. The Lex-Superman team up story was a bit...clichéd and the dialogue had all the subtlety of a jackhammer, but it has gotten better. And I genuinely did enjoy the Doomsday arc. Plus, I do really like Segovia's art whenever he's on Action.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Superman's been typically solid after the first arc, intermittently great. Action has as far as I can tell been a regular contender for the actual worst book DC is putting out right now since the start of Reborn, and as consistently terrible as a main Superman book has been in general since...good lord, certainly sometime pre-New 52, maybe even pre-Infinite Crisis (didn't read New Krypton). It's nothing even remotely resembling a competition.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Superman's been typically solid after the first arc, intermittently great. Action has as far as I can tell been a regular contender for the actual worst book DC is putting out right now since the start of Reborn, and as consistently terrible as a main Superman book has been in general since...good lord, certainly sometime pre-New 52, maybe even pre-Infinite Crisis (didn't read New Krypton). It's nothing even remotely resembling a competition.
    Austen's run was 2004/2005. As bad as Jurgen's run has been, it isn't hit the lows of Austen's run.

BANNED

I don't get the hate for Jurgens, and I think people are blowing the cons of his run out of proportion to a rather ridiculous degree. I've seen some real filth in the criticisms thrown in his direction that just boarders on raw ageism too.

AC has gone from strength to strength in recent months. I loved "Path of Doom" even if most of it was fights, and The "Men of Steel" arc was fantastic, it really fleshed out the new stance on Clark and Lex's relationship presently, and it's always given Lois something more to do as she works out how to fit back into her working world and figure out the mysteries Myxy was offering as the other Clark.

I like Tomasi and Gleeson's Superman also, it's a lot livelier and does'nt suffer too much decompression, which is the big problem I have with AC.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-13-2017 at 02:34 AM.

BANNED

Superman, Action is ok. Better than New 52 sans Morrison and I think Revenge is going to be awesome. The book is improving, the Lex arc was miles better than the Doomsday arc. But even that Doomsdau arc was much better than New 52 Doomed.

I loved Superman, but AC isn't bad. I suggest you put an option for those who've loved both. Action comics is improving, Path of Doom, Men of Steel arcs were good. Future AC solicits looks great, the one with Superman revenge squad sounds cool. It must have a lot of action in it. Superman comics are really good. The only story I was bit disappointed on is Multiplicity. The idea was great, but they could've given it more than 3 issues.

Of the two, I like Superman more than Action. Though Action has been steadily improving and that last issue was just awesome. Superman delivers the great family moments and that really weird sci-fi adventure. So it wins out over the two for me. Though I enjoy them both. I think Action gets a little too much hate. The first arc of Action dragged a bit but it's been fun after that.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Of the two I have to say that Superman had the stronger start, but Action has pretty much caught up. In fact, for the last month I've preferred Action. It's kinda frustrating because they are both a little decompressed right now. I suspect it's still gonna take a bit for them to get into the groove of putting out a bi-weekly comic, but really the first and easiest step would be cutting down on the full page splashes. Overall I'm enjoying both and think the Reborn and Aftermath stories will paint a better picture.

Fantastic Member

I don't even have to look at the results. Superman will win this poll no matter what, because a certain set of posters hate Dan Jurgens.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't get the hate for Jurgens, and I think people are blowing the cons of his run out of proportion to a rather ridiculous degree. I've seen some real filth in the criticisms thrown in his direction that just boarders on raw ageism too.

AC has gone from strength to strength in recent months. I loved "Path of Doom" even if most of it was fights, and The "Men of Steel" arc was fantastic, it really fleshed out the new stance on Clark and Lex's relationship presently, and it's always given Lois something more to do as she works out how to fit back into her working world and figure out the mysteries Myxy was offering as the other Clark.

I like Tomasi and Gleeson's Superman also, it's a lot livelier and does'nt suffer too much decompression, which is the big problem I have with AC.
    Jurgens is older, has an older writing style, and is perceived to be one of the key figures in getting rid of Nuperman. These are unforgivable sins for some posters here. But it's gotten a little better - at least now, there can be AC discussion threads that don't have the first page filled with nothing but hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Of the two I have to say that Superman had the stronger start, but Action has pretty much caught up. In fact, for the last month I've preferred Action.
    Same. Early story arcs, I liked Superman better but Action has been growing on me.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Superman was the much better title to start with but I feel like they are a bit more even now, personally I started to enjoy Action more during the Men of Steel story and thought Superman had a slight dip with the Frankenstein story. I think I'd still give it to Superman for now, but happily enjoying both as is.