Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lois Lane #1

Default Lois Lane #1

SPOILERS ALLOWED ... ONLY FOR THE 1ST ISSUE)

It finally arrives in stores today.

LOIS LANE #1
    Written by Greg Rucka
    Art and Main Cover by Mike Perkins
    Variant Cover by Jenny Frison
    Part 1 of a 12-part maxi-series
    $3.99

I'll be picking this up as soon as I can. Meanwhile, those who have already read it, feel free to comment on everything from this first issue.

Spoilers for the 1st issue (not beyond) are welcome here.

Super-excited for this!

Astonishing Member

I don't have much in the way of spoilers yet, but while I registered the other characters used when I read the solicitation text and was like "Oh right Rucka gonna pick up his toys and play with them again" it didn't really click with me until I actually read the issue just how appropriate using Vic Sage and Renee Montoya in a Lois Lane book actually is. Like ... she's the most dangerous journalist on the planet. The Question, or Questions, are probably her most natural allies in the whole DCU pantheon. I'm curious to see how Renee actually juggles being a GCPD detective with part-time international conspiracy hunting and multiversal continuity conundrums.

Good on Rucka getting political. It wasn't subtle but I do think he underplayed the zeitgeist or "right out of the papers" aspect of it enough to fit the fictional universe and be a reflection on real life culture without diving too deep into a specific real world allegory. A bit of Golden Age "champion of the people" stuff to that aspect of things. And Lois being Lois. I think he used the Donner-era tropes well, too - the grammar errors and such. And it showed Perry in a good light, too, being competent and exacting and editorial.

And I love me a good conspiracy.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

I’ve been waiting for a Lois book for so long that it almost feels hard to review it because I am still kind of shock it’s really here. I felt like I had to keep pinching myself to remind myself this book is real. And what a book it is....I am overwhelmed in the best possible way.

I like that the book is not wasting time reminding us that being the kind of journalist that Lois is ::is:: a dangerous job with or without Superman in the picture. The facts are that journalists across the world can and do vanish and are killed doing their jobs. This book is not going to hide that nor should it. That may make people uncomfortable but so be it. These things need to be said and we need Lois to confront them.

I was initially hesitant about the art style in previews but it worked so much better for me in execution throughout the issue and I am so happy to say I enjoyed the art so much more than I expected to.

Clark’s arrival to the book was pitch perfect —-first the glimpse of his infamous glasses as she undressed and then the reveal of him in the shower. It’s clear right away what his role is here——-supportive spouse, romantic partner—-the role SHE often plays for him in so many stories he now assumes.

The honest portrayal of their intimacy and sensuality with each other a stark contrast to the grit found elsewhere in the book and immediate reminder that Lois is complex. She’s hard and soft. Gritty and angry and job focused but also sexual and vulnerable. In other words, she’s a whole person—with all the complexities that entails. She’s not a “strong female character” cipher that so many male creators (well intentioned) turn women into. She’s strong, yes, but there are other sides to her. And I can’t wait to see them all.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 07-03-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

I did particularly love seeing Clark instead of Superman in this. I feel like if you're to have a successful (long term) Lois Lane book that's the dynamic that we need to focus on. Superman can do his thing in his books if the tights are a must. Of the two, it is Clark that we need to see interacting with her in her book. It allows his character to be present but very much in the background.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a solid beginning overall. I was initially expecting Rucka to follow Bendis' Event Leviathan but instead focuses on a plot-thread that Bendis himself didn't explore much, the kiss between Lois and Superman being public. This allows for a good development of the relationship between Lois and Clark and helps the story being grounded which I believe works better for Rucka's skills.

A few nitpicks like Rucka's typical use of buzzwords but they don't really affect the read and the realistic artstyle was perfect for the tone of the story. Good start.

I liked this a lot, strong start.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

To to bottom fantastic first issue.

I'm just so genuinely happy that this books is even real, and I'm even more happy that this book reads the way it does. It's also really, really nice to see hardcore fans of the character so satisfied by this book. What a genuine win.

I really appreciated Lois as a character in this book. This book hit ever beat that I wanted and needed out of her. Her relationship with Perry here and an earlier issue of Action Comics puts things into a context that I was hoping for, but wasn't sure if it was the case till now. The dynamic with Clark is perfect, and I love that they go Clark first and Superman more as a public figure. And the art was so damn beautiful and appropriately atmospheric. All in all, fantastic stuff.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Well, this was about as subtle as a brick. On the other hand, doing a comic about a muckraker in this day and age leaves very little room for subtlety, or for fiction.

But I like how Lois is portrayed, how Rucka handles her dynamic with Clark Kent, and the way he set up the plot was interesting. It fell into some tired stereotypes (like the hard-drinking reporter), but nothing too bad.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

Well, I really liked it, although I felt the last scene was a little oddly placed since Lois's presence in the press briefing wasn't exactly set up. Perry reiterated that Lois isn't technically working for the planet. So what was she doing there? It just felt disconnected to everything else. As expected, Rucka has a great handle on Lois and her relationships with Clark and Perry. The Question as Deep Throat is sort of perfect too. The only thing that really didn't work for me was the page referencing Lois's secret about why she left Jon and Jor-El. It just tied back to a story that made no damn sense and just made everyone involved look bad and I don't want that infecting this book. Overall, it was a good start to the run, but I just wish it was a little tighter structurally.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Astonishing Member

Really nice start as expected of Greg Rucka.

Loved this issue! Lois is the hero we need right now.

Fudge. My. Luck.

Not one, but TWO of my LCS completely sold out of all editions of Lois Lane #1!

Woe be the casual fan without a pull box!

Scrolled right past all the comments, so still not spoiled. I'll try other outlets. Maybe online purchase?

Glad there appears to be genuine interest, tho.

This was great! Reminded me of Gotham Central which is exactly what I wanted. The politics were what I expected and I was fine with it. Really excited to have Renee Question back in continuity, I’m quite happy to have both Vic and her back in action. Can’t wait for the next issue!
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Fudge. My. Luck.

Not one, but TWO of my LCS completely sold out of all editions of Lois Lane #1!

Woe be the casual fan without a pull box!

Scrolled right past all the comments, so still not spoiled. I'll try other outlets. Maybe online purchase?

Glad there appears to be genuine interest, tho.
    Man I’ll be over the moon if this sells well.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

And it came out just after my LCS closed. Didn't get a chance to pick this up today. Which means I probably won't. Sounds like if you missed it the first day, you're screwed.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

People can complain about heavy handedness or whatever but Superman himself is pretty much an example of what happens when you let someone pick away characteristics until nothing is left. Modern Superman spends more time thinking about farming, his son, or marriage then he spends on trying to make the world a better place which is the exact goddamn thing he was created to do. So at some point you've got to put the important bits of the character first and foremost lest you end up like the one time "Champion of the Oppressed" who some how became the "Naive Farmboy"
    Last edited by The World; 07-04-2019 at 02:24 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory