Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I like all the fictional cities and towns having specific locations on a map (I like population sizes, etc. too.). Kansas is as good as any, and it's what I'm used to, since it's been around since before I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I like all the fictional cities and towns having specific locations on a map (I like population sizes, etc. too.). Kansas is as good as any, and it's what I'm used to, since it's been around since before I was born.
    Well, Kansas did officially become a state back in 1861, so I'm assuming that was before you were born.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I like the idea more that Metropolis is in Kansas. Like on the show.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think Kansas is a good enough state as any for Smallville, and it's too established to just up and move it now. Getting down to the hard details, however, is a bit too much for me.

Superhero comics are fun, but trying too hard to make things realistic invites too many questions that, frankly, these universes cannot sustain. I'm all for complex, detailed narratives with nuanced characters, but don't stress too much on which highways lead into Metropolis, the results of the last twelve mayoral Gotham elections, birth rates in Opal, etc.

Keep it vague and future proof your cities. Don't distract the reader's brain to question plausibility.
    Last edited by Robanker; 07-15-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think Kansas is a good enough state as any for Smallville, and it's too established to just up and move it now. Getting down to the hard details, however, is a bit too much for me.

Superhero comics are fun, but trying too hard to make things realistic invites too many questions that, frankly, these universes cannot sustain. I'm all for complex, detailed narratives with nuanced characters, but don't stress too much on which highways lead into Metropolis, the results of the last twelve mayoral Gotham elections, birth rates in Opal, etc.

Keep it vague and future proof your cities. Don't distract the reader's brain to question plausibility.
    Now that you mention it, it's funny that aliens only started showing up after Superman first appeared.
    Assassinate Putin!

OP Question - Yes, I do.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that you mention it, it's funny that aliens only started showing up after Superman first appeared.
    Either that or they started making themselves known. He did kind of blaze that trail, which to be fair, is pretty easy when you look like Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Kansas is fine. Missouri would be as well. The "Smallville" TV show's conceit that it was some kind of exurbian enclave and Metropolis was nearby, was kind of a gut punch when it happened, but oh well.

I prefer Metropolis and Gotham on the east coast. The Snyder movies' conceit of a San Francisco/Oakland allegory was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Kansas is fine. Missouri would be as well. The "Smallville" TV show's conceit that it was some kind of exurbian enclave and Metropolis was nearby, was kind of a gut punch when it happened, but oh well.

I prefer Metropolis and Gotham on the east coast.
    Actually, while I prefer Gotham City on the East coast (but somewhere in the mid-Atlantic states, not below the Mason-Dixon line), I don't mind if they make Metropolis more like a Chicago, St. Louis, or Ohio-area equivalent.

Yeah, I prefer for Smallville to just be... somewhere. In fact I always kind of like the weird moments in the rare pre-Crisis story where I suddenly remember with a jolt that Smallville is supposed to be on the east coast, maybe in New England.

At the same time, I also like the idea from Snyder's Man of Steel that Clark is a Royals fan, so that's... er, those ideas are incompatible. Oh well! I don't particularly like the location in Kansas.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Just wanted to pop my head in this old thread of mine and say, five(!) years later:

My opinion on the subject hasn't changed, only doubled- down.

Hard pass on Kansas for Smallville's official home state.

Hard pass on Metropolis officially being in Delaware.

Hard pass on Neil Degrasse Tyson pinpointing the location of Krypton in our actual universe.

These are fake places that need only the loosest of real- life locales to work.

Nothing is gained from having Kansas (a state with zero actual affiliation with Superman's origin, unlike Cleveland's Ohio) officially be where Smallville is.

But something is definitely lost.

I've driven through Delaware several times now, and I would say the idea that the City of Tomorrow, the US's largest city, is located in Delaware might be more unrealistic than a flying man.

No offense to Delaware. It's a lovely state and shopping there is awesome.