Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Superman with Goku's powers

How would the comics be if the writers dropped supermans original powers and decided to give him Goku's powers from DBZ. Like ripping off DBZ to make the character more popular.

Would the fan reaction be positive or negative for the change.

Incredible Member

How would that be any different other than losing some powers like super hearing and heat vision and gaining the ability to throw energy blasts?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    How would that be any different other than losing some powers like super hearing and heat vision and gaining the ability to throw energy blasts?
    Agreed- you switch out heat vision for energy blasts and besides that he's fundamentally the same. I don't think it's a change worth even considering for more than about eight seconds, much less actually doing it.

EDIT: Maybe he could use the Kinto'un / Nimbus to fly instead of just soaring around on his own all the time.

Come to think of it I'm more interested in seeing what Goku's powers look like in a world where being a martial artist isn't enough to let you defy the laws of physics. I know that Goku's considered to have long surpassed the point of what most humans will ever accomplish, but I can't see Batman being less skilled than that, and it'd just be a rip-off to allow Bruce Wayne to fly and throw energy balls like Krillin. It'd defeat what people like about him! So instead we'd have to reduce Goku's power to a more physical basis to transplant him into the DCU. Of course I realize that's kind of the opposite of what you meant...
    Last edited by Adekis; 03-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    How would the comics be if the writers dropped supermans original powers and decided to give him Goku's powers from DBZ. Like ripping off DBZ to make the character more popular.

To be blunt, I foresee an attempt at the bold to fail miserably.

BANNED

Instead of a super saiyan, Superman would become a Super Kryptonian with blue hair.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post

Why on Earth would they want to do that?

And what the f#@& is a "Guku"?!?

I'm sure a hell of a lot more people know who "Superman" is than have heard of what's-its-face.

Astonishing Member

For the time that DBZ played on one of our national broadcast channels in South Africa, DBZ was the most popular show I could think of that instantly attracted children and grown up at the same time. People dropped appointments so at 16:30 they could watch a fifteenth minute cartoon with the longest recap and preview of the next episode. It was crazy. It can't compare with the overall appeal of Superman as a universal superhero but when you consider that the last time people saw Superman here at the time, was during the Lois and Clark TV show (not exactly overwhelming) or the Christopher Reeve Superman (it is a very old movie) because comics weren't a thing in SA then. I'd argue and say for a while Goku was bigger than Superman and if DBZ continued to air, he'd still be a bigger draw than Superman, tragically.

For me, I love them both, they work in their own little corner and no need to interchange them. Goku is a form of Superman and Superman is a form of Goku so there's really no need to see the one in the other's skin at all when they are technically the same.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 03-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.

So Superman should ripoff his ripoff?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I'm sure a hell of a lot more people know who "Superman" is than have heard of what's-its-face.
    You'd be surprised. Dragon Ball Z was the most popular anime show of the last generation, it was an international phenomenon that became so successful that to this day they continue to milk the franchise with new videogames and a new series, and I'm pretty sure if you asked most people below 30 who'd prefer between Superman and Goku, most would tell you the later. Sure, it still can't compare to the multi-generational iconicity of Superman, but I'm willing to bet DBZ is even more massive among people that age than Superman.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Goku is a form of Superman and Superman is a form of Goku so there's really no need to see the one in the other's skin at all when they are technically the same.
    Not quite though. Did you watch the English dub of the anime? In the original manga, Toriyama may have ripped off Superman's origin, but after that their motivations and character differ a lot. Superman is motivated by helping people, and Goku is mainly motivated by fighting stronger people than him and testing his limits, saving Earth as a byproduct of that. You could say he ends up being a hero by circumstance. I'm aware that the English dub made him more superhero-like.

Astonishing Member

I watched the English dubbed version where Goku was very heroic. He did spend the about two thirds of each season building up his strength then the big fight would happen in the last third.

The only thing Superman writers could learn from Dragon ball writers is how to always account for and properly display superspeed in combat.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

If you're not being facetious, I think you're missing something pretty big.

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/01/3...cs-ambassador/

The 42 volumes of Dragon Ball sold 150 million copies in its original run, by the way. Worldwide through different editions it currently sits at 240 million.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

As someone who grew up with both Superman and Goku, it would suck to see the two switch Powers, you would be nerfing both characters to a degree, Supes shouldn't have to train for 50 issues/episodes to beat a foe, and Goku shouldn't have to depend on a yellow sun for his powers. I know that Goku was partially inspired by Superman, but the two are each their own character and much different beasts.

Also I hate when people ask who would win in a fight, honestly if they ever did fight it would probably end in a tie that caused the multiverse to implode-in on itself XD.

Though I admit I would, out of bias be rooting for Superman.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Negative not because of Goku but because fans don't like change. Although it would an interesting alternate universe where Superman knows martial arts and uses solar energy in his energy attacks, because Superman absorbs solar energy, but only cares about training and fighting strong opponents.