Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Default Man-Thing #1 (of 5) by R.L. Stein

A brief "State of Man-Thing" for those not following along with Ted Sallis regularly.

This mini-series picks up with the Man-Thing character development from a few years back in the original Thunderbolts title where he went back to the beginning of creation and in doing so regained his mind and ability to speak. If you read Howling Commandoes of SHIELD or seen Manny elsewhere since about '10 other writers ignored this for some reason. Now when that first happened he "spoke" telepathically to you and you heard him in "your" voice. So if your internal psyche monologue sounded Victorian, you heard that. If it was suave ladies man, you heard that style of language in your head. Here it seems Stein has moved it along and Man-Thing is actually speaking, just with a mouth you can't see. With that backstory out of the way.

Man-Thing is working as an up and coming actor by a production team trying to make a superhero production. We find that the test footage isn't playing well with the screeners. Apparently Man-Thing scares them about as much as the bad guy of the production. Man-Thing lets the producer know he can just call him Ted. He leaves the set and is trying to think of what to do next. Thinking about how he ended up this way....queue the multi page flashback of how Ted Sallis became Man-Thing(catch first timers up who might be trying Teddy out). The issue ends with Man-Thing tied up fighting either a doppleganger of his current self or an out of time version of his original self. That will be touched upon next issue...clarification.

I really enjoyed the art. The pacing was decent. I think the setup for all that is to come was not wholly in the issue. I think playing to the writers strengths he's insisting you come back for chapter 2 for more clarity.

As a Man-Thing fan I'm glad to see a high profile creator taking a freelance turn on Ted Sallis. However, at first blush it's not what I was expecting or wanting but am willing to see where it goes.

Grade: B
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 03-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Wow. Sounds weird. But I'm planning on reading it later today actually. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint... I don't even know what I was expecting. Certainly not a bizarre Goosebumps book, which is evidently what we got.

That being said, I'm definitely a fan of Stein and I feel strongly that this mini-series will leave me satisfied when all is said and done. If R.L. Stein does one thing right it's ENTERTAIN!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

Loving it so far . My guess the "Other" Manny is either the one that is working for SHIELD or the one that is working for Shiklah.

BANNED

The back up story was terrible. Would rather have art work or pin ups of man thing

I hope we see what Elaine is up to other than the flashback we got Issue one.

I'll be curious if RL ignores ‪JMDeMatteis series. ‬

BANNED

I'm curious about this. Might wait till trade, though.

Captain Greg, that was a very good assessment. I didn't enjoy the art as much as you, but overall I am at the same place as you. I think it could look really good after next issue or turn into a disappointment by #3.