Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default Amazing Spider-Man #28 Discussion [SPOILER WARNING]

Just read this comic and I'll have to say it is one of the absolute WORST comics I have read in recent memory - not only did it somehow manage to completely ruin the hype from ASM 27, but it also succeeded in having more plot holes than actual plot substance. Not only were two major aspects of the story (Sable's duel and Mockingbird disabling the missile) resolved off-panel, but Dan Slott completely forgot that Peter has had a gas mask in his suit since ASM Vol. 2 and also that the Spider-Armor is EMP-proof as shown in ASM Vol, 4 #4. Not to mention how stupid it is for Osborn to even have been able to hurt the depowered Peter, who has been trained by Captain America and Shang-Chi. IMO, this was probably up there with one of Slott's worst written comics, due to the extremely rushed conclusion and plot holes larger than the actual story. It was obviously clear that this storyline was manufactured just to make SHIELD cut ties with Parker Industries to put P.I. in a more vulnerable place before Secret Empire, rather than have any actual value on its own.

Honestly, if it wasn't for dat Immonen art, I'd probably use this as toilet paper.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 06-07-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    It was obviously clear that this storyline was manufactured just to make SHIELD cut ties with Parker Industries to put P.I. in a more vulnerable place before Secret Empire, rather than have any actual value on its own.
    Considering that is exactly what this site wants, then hoorah. The faster we get that pathetic Parker back, the faster this site might actually stop its whining and belly aching.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Considering that is exactly what this site wants, then hoorah. The faster we get that pathetic Parker back, the faster this site might actually stop its whining and belly aching.
    Yeah, to be honest, the whole "Fall of PI" storyline that seems to be coming up looks to be extremely contrived and cliche. Everything that has happened to PI has happened to Stark Industries before, and yet it never permanently suffers such consequences. I'm still not sure why, even if PI does collapse, Peter wouldn't just build a new company with the same principles - he clearly was able to do it once (between ASM Vol. 3 and ASM Vol. 4) and his ideology didn't hurt the company back then, so why is it suddenly making the company collapse? Not to mention that when your company is so big that "Parkerscoping" is a commonly used verb, it would take years to get it to bankruptcy - but Slott is making it happen in days/weeks.

The worst part is, as little sense as that makes, that is probably the least shitty part of this issue. Ugh.

I loved it. I would've gone into a little bit detail, but I'm gonna just leave it at that for now.

Mighty Member

I wonder if the uncle ben foundation is what keeps PI from completely dying. Besides, Slott said during the last comicon that PI will pose a threat to Hydra.

Spectacular Member

I had the exact opposite reaction to this issue, I found it great, and much better than the previous issues of Osborn Identity. Good action, great characterization for everyone, especially Spider-man, and a triumphant victory. The tech plot holes did not bother me since the story was about each hero overcoming their adversary through a victory of character rather than of technology (Saber was willing to suffer for her people while the Baroness would not, Peter never gives up while Osborn runs and hides at the first major setback).

It is also interesting that the seeds for Spider-man abandoning his new high tech gear were planted, as they proved more of a liability than a help in this story, and Parker Industries continues to slide towards disaster thanks to Peter's actions as Spider-man. I can see Peter loosing Parker Industries and abandoning all his high tech gear by the end of the Secret Empire arc.

Mighty Member

Yeah, to be honest, the whole "Fall of PI" storyline that seems to be coming up looks to be extremely contrived and cliche. Everything that has happened to PI has happened to Stark Industries before, and yet it never permanently suffers such consequences. I'm still not sure why, even if PI does collapse, Peter wouldn't just build a new company with the same principles - he clearly was able to do it once (between ASM Vol. 3 and ASM Vol. 4) and his ideology didn't hurt the company back then, so why is it suddenly making the company collapse? Not to mention that when your company is so big that "Parkerscoping" is a commonly used verb, it would take years to get it to bankruptcy - but Slott is making it happen in days/weeks.

The worst part is, as little sense as that makes, that is probably the least shitty part of this issue. Ugh.
    PI, like Peter could be more resilient than it appears. For all we know, PI could be one of the keys to save the world from Hydra.

Spectacular Member

I figure it will be less that Parker Industries will go bankrupt, but more that Peter will be forced out of the company and it will either change its name to further separate from him, or be bought by another major corp like Alchemax, which would be such a kick in the teeth for Peter since that is pretty much Osborn's company now.

Plus, I think Peter will not rebuild Parker Industries not because he cannot, but because he does not want too. I have gotten the impression that Peter has hated running the company the whole time, but only did it because he felt it was his responsibility. If he is kicked out of the company then it will no longer be his responsibility.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    I had the exact opposite reaction to this issue, I found it great, and much better than the previous issues of Osborn Identity. Good action, great characterization for everyone, especially Spider-man, and a triumphant victory. The tech plot holes did not bother me since the story was about each hero overcoming their adversary through a victory of character rather than of technology (Saber was willing to suffer for her people while the Baroness would not, Peter never gives up while Osborn runs and hides at the first major setback).

It is also interesting that the seeds for Spider-man abandoning his new high tech gear were planted, as they proved more of a liability than a help in this story, and Parker Industries continues to slide towards disaster thanks to Peter's actions as Spider-man. I can see Peter loosing Parker Industries and abandoning all his high tech gear by the end of the Secret Empire arc.
    Either that or PI survives and Peter steps down as CEO and focuses on helping others by running the Ben Parker foundation. The way it showed up at the end seemed to lessen Peter's gloom about the setback with SHIELD(Fury was too harsh).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Either that or PI survives and Peter steps down as CEO and focuses on helping others by running the Ben Parker foundation.
    I feel like it's a little too obvious that Harry is going to end up becoming CEO of PI. Aunt May already voiced her frustrated a few issues back about how she wishes things would calm down and Peter did as well. We've seen Peter leave Harry in charge. Then either Otto ruins it for Harry or Harry sells to Liz for "the benefit of the family."

Mighty Member

I was thinking that Anna Maria would be running PI. She seems more competent tha Peter and Harry put together.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Parker's geology is off! You can't compare quartz and granite directly; the first is a mineral (SiO2) with a Moh's scale hardness of 7, the second is a plutonic felsic rock that is composed in part of quartz and does not have a Moh's scale of hardness value (which is only for minerals).
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The action was good, due to the amazing art. However, the characterization was way off. Where to begin?

First - SHIELD cut ties with PI for saving an entire country. 100% hypocritical, 100% nonsensical. Considering Stark Industries is down, are they going to just stop buying weapons? Oh yeah, and how many times have they done things like invade and overthrow countries? Because I remember it being on a pretty regular basis. Not to mention the fact that they decided to just ignore the situation in Symkaria until Mockingbird begged for their help.

Second - Peter gets serious to bring Osborn down? So does he use his nerve-hacking technology to disable Osborn, his omni-harmonic mesh stealth tech to surprise Osborn, or even just blast down the castle with his shoulder mounted laser cannons? No, he decides to jump in head-first like a complete idiot and runs into trap after trap. Doesn't seem much like Peter to me - in fact, I probably wouldn't even expect that level of idiocy from the Rhino. And then, of course, Peter just leaving Sable and Mockingbird to do the more important jobs while he fruitlessly chases after Osborn, when he could have just got his soldiers to surround the castle while he disabled the missile and then KOed the Countess in little time. It certainly doesn't seem much like Peter to prioritize his own vendettas over the safety of millions of people who live there, does it?

Also, are you seriously saying that you don't mind this story being so incredibly contrived (it would have been over by the second page with properly written characters and no plot holes) because it fits your agenda (for Peter to lose PI and stop upgrading his tech)? Because I just know you would have ripped this story apart had it ended differently. he whole thing of his high-tech gear being a liability, is, like I said before, 100% a plot hole, and Parker Industries' fate is almost as contrived.

I have gotten the impression that Peter has hated running the company the whole time, but only did it because he felt it was his responsibility. If he is kicked out of the company then it will no longer be his responsibility.
    This is another instance of mischaracterization that has lasted this entire volume. Peter would never shirk his responsibility to the millions of people he has helped around the world through Parker Industries, and just giving up like what you are saying is the exact opposite of what he did this issue against Osborn (which you praised). If he didn't bother to rebuild, then he is effectively condemning all the people who rely on the Uncle Ben Foundation (because another businessman would not spend so much on it) as well as all the factory workers who he pays so generously (see ASM #1) and even the world which is relying on the green technology innovations he has created (see SM/DP #17) and the more powerful Spider-Man who can protect it more effectively.

Also, Peter can't be kicked out since he is majority shareholder, IIRC. I may be wrong though - I'll have to look at that again.

So, Peter not rebuilding makes absolutely no sense. But then again, I think this issue proves that Slott doesn't care much about logic when it gets in the way of the contrived story he wants to tell.

Mighty Member

The action was good, due to the amazing art. However, the characterization was way off. Where to begin?

First - SHIELD cut ties with PI for saving an entire country. 100% hypocritical, 100% nonsensical. Considering Stark Industries is down, are they going to just stop buying weapons? Oh yeah, and how many times have they done things like invade and overthrow countries? Because I remember it being on a pretty regular basis. Not to mention the fact that they decided to just ignore the situation in Symkaria until Mockingbird begged for their help.

Second - Peter gets serious to bring Osborn down? So does he use his nerve-hacking technology to disable Osborn, his omni-harmonic mesh stealth tech to surprise Osborn, or even just blast down the castle with his shoulder mounted laser cannons? No, he decides to jump in head-first like a complete idiot and runs into trap after trap. Doesn't seem much like Peter to me - in fact, I probably wouldn't even expect that level of idiocy from the Rhino. And then, of course, Peter just leaving Sable and Mockingbird to do the more important jobs while he fruitlessly chases after Osborn, when he could have just got his soldiers to surround the castle while he disabled the missile and then KOed the Countess in little time. It certainly doesn't seem much like Peter to prioritize his own vendettas over the safety of millions of people who live there, does it?

Also, are you seriously saying that you don't mind this story being so incredibly contrived (it would have been over by the second page with properly written characters and no plot holes) because it fits your agenda (for Peter to lose PI and stop upgrading his tech)? Because I just know you would have ripped this story apart had it ended differently. he whole thing of his high-tech gear being a liability, is, like I said before, 100% a plot hole, and Parker Industries' fate is almost as contrived.
    The same SHIELD that will be under HYDRA control during Secret Empire thanks to Steve Rogers. I suspect PI will play a major role in defeating HYDRA.