Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Thread Drift: Will One More Day ever be reversed?

Funny how Slott claims no reversal of omd. Seems like he was protesting too much. Slott seems to deny one thing, then the opposite happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Funny how Slott claims no reversal of omd. Seems like he was protesting too much. Slott seems to deny one thing, then the opposite happens.
    I don't think Marvel will allowing OMD to be undone; they've invented way too much in convincing us it was a good idea to give up now. Besides the main architects of OMD are still in power.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think Marvel will allowing OMD to be undone; they've invented way too much in convincing us it was a good idea to give up now. Besides the main architects of OMD are still in power.
    I believe they will reverse it someday, though. It'll be a "bigly"-hyped story that reunites Peter and MJ finally, or at least addresses the 1000-pound gorilla in the room of OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I believe they will reverse it someday, though. It'll be a "bigly"-hyped story that reunites Peter and MJ finally, or at least addresses the 1000-pound gorilla in the room of OMD.
    I think it will happen eventually (I'm pretty sure that status quo is more popular and more ingrained in the franchise as a whole than the critics realize*). The thing is, I don't think it's going to happen until the readers who grew up with that version of Spider-Man (or comparable material, like the Ultimate comics) are the ones in charge of the franchise.

*Case in point: MJ is getting a Marvel Legends action figure this year. It's only available as part of a two-figure set with Spider-Man being the other one. They also chose to make the Spidey figure dressed in his Parker Industries costume. (Ask me if I hate that costume choice. Yes, I do.) Even if that has nothing to do with the future of the comics, I find it very telling that they're choosing to sell a Spider-Man/MJ figurine set, esp. given that the figurines in question are based on iterations of the characters that are as far apart as can be imagined.

Incredible Member

I believe they will reverse it someday, though.
    Believe all you want.
    It AIN'T happening.
    I've told people this for 9 years.
    Me pitching RYV and getting permission from the Powers That Be to do it-- and it selling well enough to merit an ongoing-- is as good as you're going to get (so please keep the sales for Gerry & Ryan's book up, up, UP!).
    Every single editorial team since the marriage worked hard to undo it.
    You will not see the marriage restored in the core continuity ever.
    It's far more likely that you'd see a line-wide reboot that reset Spider-Man to high school years (and on model with the creators' original intent) then the marriage being restored. And THAT is never going to happen either.
    Again, believe all you want. Put MJ and her wedding dress or showing off her wedding ring in EVERY message board avatar in the world. Still never happening. Ever. Ever. Ever.
    I'm sure I'll be here next year telling you the same thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think it will happen eventually (I'm pretty sure that status quo is more popular and more ingrained in the franchise as a whole than the critics realize*). The thing is, I don't think it's going to happen until the readers who grew up with that version of Spider-Man (or comparable material, like the Ultimate comics) are the ones in charge of the franchise.

*Case in point: MJ is getting a Marvel Legends action figure this year. It's only available as part of a two-figure set with Spider-Man being the other one. They also chose to make the Spidey figure dressed in his Parker Industries costume. (Ask me if I hate that costume choice. Yes, I do.) Even if that has nothing to do with the future of the comics, I find it very telling that they're choosing to sell a Spider-Man/MJ figurine set, esp. given that the figurines in question are based on iterations of the characters that are as far apart as can be imagined.
    Because no matter what they do (or how much they try to character assassinate Mary Jane or replace her), there's no way they'll get people to not want to see Peter and Mary Jane together in some fashion.

This will be even more true if Zendaya ends up portraying Mary Jane in Homecoming and they link her and Holland's Parker romantically.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Believe all you want.
    It AIN'T happening.
    I've told people this for 9 years.
    Me pitching RYV and getting permission from the Powers That Be to do it-- and it selling well enough to merit an ongoing-- is as good as you're going to get (so please keep the sales for Gerry & Ryan's book up, up, UP!).
    Every single editorial team since the marriage worked hard to undo it.
    You will not see the marriage restored in the core continuity ever.
    It's far more likely that you'd see a line-wide reboot that reset Spider-Man to high school years (and on model with the creators' original intent) then the marriage being restored. And THAT is never going to happen either.
    Again, believe all you want. Put MJ and her wedding dress or showing off her wedding ring in EVERY message board avatar in the world. Still never happening. Ever. Ever. Ever.
    I'm sure I'll be here next year telling you the same thing.
    Ok,

Except the current writers / editorial don't own the character, Marvel does. If Marvel eventually wants them reunited, it will happen.

And yeah, Conway and Stegman are killing it on RYV, that book is a blast!

Incredible Member

Ok,

Except the current writers / editorial don't own the character, Marvel does. If Marvel eventually wants them reunited, it will happen.
    Not happening. Over a quarter of a century has been spent by Marvel to undo it. The change from 2007 is the one where they put their collective foot down. It ain't happening. Sorry. Ever. It's not a question of "current writers" or "current editorial". Marvel wants it to stay undone. Could the CHARACTERS come back together in the core continuity in a relationship that's not a marriage? Sure. But the marriage is NEVER being officially restored.

And yeah, Conway and Stegman are killing it on RYV, that book is a blast!
    Agreed!

BANNED

Im the only one who finds ryv overrated? Its not best spidey story because its not about Peter Parker alone and mj and mj jr look lame in spider costumes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Dear Dan Slott,

I enjoy your comics a great deal - Spidey, She-Hulk, GLA - all really pleasing reads.

Keep up the good work!

-Pav, who appreciates friendly communication...
    Thank you.

BANNED

Not happening. Over a quarter of a century has been spent by Marvel to undo it. The change from 2007 is the one where they put their collective foot down. It ain't happening. Sorry. Ever. It's not a question of "current writers" or "current editorial". Marvel wants it to stay undone. Could the CHARACTERS come back together in the core continuity in a relationship that's not a marriage? Sure. But the marriage is NEVER being officially restored.
    Respectively, Dan, never say never.

I think we've gone over your track record for fibbing already in this very thread, and I very much believe that YOU believe to your core that Marvel would never OMD.

But times change, and Marvel staff come and go. There may very well be people in charge someday who DO want to see things reinstated and OMD undone.

There was a time when I bet there was an embargo on Ben Reilly as well, and lo and behold, he's back now as another "bad guy who thinks he's doing right" a'la Regent.

If it's a story Marvel thinks could be a good one, and effective for the time it is deployed, they will deploy it .

Incredible Member

There may very well be people in charge someday who DO want to see things reinstated and OMD undone.
    The marriage will never be reinstated in the core continuity.
    I'm on year 9 of breaking the news to a certain segment of which, judging by your avatar and endless posts, you're a part of.
    This is a lock.
    There are no "people in charge someday" that will bring about your dearest, fondest Spider-y wish.
    It AIN'T happening.
    I could spend hours breaking down for you all the magical dream scenarios you could have-- and crush them one by one.
    IT AIN'T HAPPENING EVER.

There was a time when I bet there was an embargo on Ben Reilly as well...
    The reason for the Ben Reilly embargo is an apples-and-oranges comparison.
    It was because multiple creative teams wanted to bring the character back-- multiple editorial teams wanted to bring the character back-- the powers that be wanted to bring the character back-- and it was all a question of timing of when the character would come back.

There is no circumstance at all like that for the marriage. There is a lockstep all the way up to infinity for why the marriage will never, ever, ever be reinstated in the core continuity. Ever. You may get What Ifs? or alternate realities or what have you. But in the core continuity this is a thing which will never, ever, ever happen. Infinity.

...and lo and behold, he's back now as another "bad guy who thinks he's doing right" a'la Regent.
    And Doctor Doom, and Magneto, and a zillion other bad guys. The bad guy who thinks he's doing right is-- surprisingly-- MOST bad guys, because most bad guys are the heroes of their own stories. You have very arbitrary reasons to consistently hate on my work.

If it's a story Marvel thinks could be a good one, and effective for the time it is deployed, they will deploy it .
    There is no time that will ever happen. Ever.

I'll be back to remind of this next year as well as you continue to charge at this windmill yet again.

It ain't happening.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 03-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.

I could spend hours breaking down for you all the magical dream scenarios you could have-- and crush them one by one.
    IT AIN'T HAPPENING EVER.

Best line ever. Can apply to so much. Totally stealing it - Thanks.

On a side note, Dan, any chance or talk that we might get a Spider-Man omnibus (or three) of your work? It would be nice to have some of your earlier work in that collected form.

BANNED

I'm on year 9 of breaking the news to a certain segment of which, judging by your avatar and endless posts, you're a part of.
    This is a lock.
    There are no "people in charge someday" that will bring about your dearest, fondest Spider-y wish.
    It AIN'T happening.
    IT AIN'T HAPPENING EVER.

It was because multiple creative teams wanted to bring the character back-- multiple editorial teams wanted to bring the character back-- the powers that be wanted to bring the character back-- and it was all a question of timing of when the character would come back.

There is no circumstance at all like that for the marriage. There is a lockstep all the way up to infinity for why the marriage will never, ever, ever be reinstated in the core continuity. Ever. You may get What Ifs? or alternate realities or what have you. But in the core continuity this is a thing which will never, ever, ever happen. Infinity.

And Doctor Doom, and Magneto, and a zillion other bad guys. The bad guy who thinks he's doing right is-- surprisingly-- MOST bad guys, because most bad guys are the heroes of their own stories. You have very arbitrary reasons to consistently hate on my work.

There is no time that will ever happen. Ever.

I'll be back to remind of this next year as well as you continue to charge at this windmill yet again.

It ain't happening.
    Right, and I know that's what you think you see in your crystal ball.

There was a time when many possibly thought that Norman Osborn would never be brought back (and why would he, when you had Harry GG and Stern's Hobgoblin?)

There was a time when many possibly thought that Spider-Man would not change costumes for any significant amount of time.

There was a time when many possibly thought that Gwen Stacy would never be brought back in any form outside of the Gwen clone after the first Clone Saga. Or that Spider-Man would ever fail to save his love interest.

There was a time when Queseda himself insisted that 616 Marvel and Ultimate would never meet or cross.

Many probably thought there would never be a time Aunt May would learn Peter is Spider-Man, or that it could work for the franchise.

Likewise, there may have been some that thought they would never actually kill off Aunt May. Or that she would be brought back.

Marvel wanted Peter gone and Ben to replace him. They backed off of that in time.

I know this is what you believe from your current vantage, but as much as you may think Marvel must be in lockstep about something, they are not a hive mind. There may very well be "multiple creative teams that want to bring the marriage back-- multiple editorial teams that want to bring the marriage back", and they may be sitting right in your midst.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 03-10-2017 at 01:02 PM.

This is a lock.
    It AIN'T happening.
    IT AIN'T HAPPENING EVER.

And Doctor Doom, and Magneto, and a zillion other bad guys. The bad guy who thinks he's doing right is-- surprisingly-- MOST bad guys, because most bad guys are the heroes of their own stories.
    Honestly I am happy with Peter being single and/or casually dating, it's nothing against Mary-Jane herself but in my opinion and through the eyes of a "wannabe author" it opens up a lot of creative potential to do with the character, whereas being married there are certain dramatic aspects, emotions and mentality that are expected (but not necessarily have to be) to be in check. I also liked how Ben was handled, others might complain that he was "ruined", but geez you revive a guy only to kill him a dozen or so times you can't expect him to be "all there" mentally, which is where I'm assuming the new persona came into play along with the sort of Clone Utopia. Hey at least Ben's back, and he's going to be a hero again in his new book (call him an antihero or villainous hero all you want but the cover depicting a costumed 'spider-man' webbing up crooks doesn't sound too villainous to me).
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion