Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I guess that's the other side of working on corporate comics. They have so many rules and regulations that the creative teams can't do. Like you can paint, but only with these specific colors our marketing department deems appropriate. Not too hard to see why independent work is so appealing to many of Marvel's former best writers(Gillen, Remender, Fraction, Brubaker)
    absolutely, that's why i personally love indie comics, movies and music so much. but i understand why people would still choose to work within large corporations despite the compromise on artistic direction; you get to play with the big toys, reach a larger audience and buy nicer dinners. if you can do both...why not?
    Last edited by boots; 03-12-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    absolutely, that's why i personally love indie comics, movies and music so much. but i understand why people would still choose to work within large corporations despite the compromise on artistic direction; you get to play with the big toys, reach a larger audience and buy nicer dinners. as long as you go in with eyes wide open. if you can do both...why not?
    I totally get why Bendis writes his independent comics AND works on stuff for Marvel.

BANNED

I remember an interview with Paul Scheer when he writing Spider-Man/Deadpool, and he had one joke that involved Peter drinking a beer. And some guy in a suit came down like "NEVER. Spider-Man can never be shown drinking alcohol"

Like they are sooooooo dead set on never making him seem like an adult character, its not even funny. You'd need an IRL OMD-level cosmic retcon for the entire reality Marvel is in right now to get the marriage back.

I remember an interview with Paul Scheer when he writing Spider-Man/Deadpool, and he had one joke that involved Peter drinking a beer. And some guy in a suit came down like "NEVER. Spider-Man can never be shown drinking alcohol"

Like they are sooooooo dead set on never making him seem like an adult character, its not even funny. You'd need an IRL OMD-level cosmic retcon for the entire reality Marvel is in right now to get the marriage back.
    I remember DC did the same thing when it came to Superman drinking a beer and it's fairly obvious that Superman has always been an adult character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember DC did the same thing when it came to Superman drinking a beer and it's fairly obvious that Superman has always been an adult character.
    Now that I do remember, and thought that was quite silly then, too. Like damn, Superman cant even enjoy a beer with his dad now?

You cant even say "but think of the kidssssss", cuz this story involves mass genocide, brutal violence, sex jokes(or atleast jokes at Kat Grant breasts' expense), but God forbid Superman hold a beer like a normal person.

Spider-Man sold his marriage to the Devil.

Frankly, I think Marvel's lucky Fox News never turned it into a headline. It's such a monumentally stupid idea that grumbling about it will never completely go away.

It's a self-inflicted wound and Marvel's just going to have to live with the limp.

Incredible Member

Drinking alcohol doesn't make you an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Spider-Man sold his marriage to the Devil.

Frankly, I think Marvel's lucky Fox News never turned it into a headline. It's such a monumentally stupid idea that grumbling about it will never completely go away.

It's a self-inflicted wound and Marvel's just going to have to live with the limp.

beer, cigarettes, radioactive sperm, the devil, political protests, marriage...i don't blame people for not knowing where the goal posts are for what marvel endorse for spidey. but that's superheroes in general when you focus in on their actions too much.

interesting that dan suggested OMD could be addressed at some point in the future (which doesn't mean it will be o' course). i wonder if any staffers want to do so and whether or not it would have a positive impact or just pick the scab.
    troo fan or death

radioactive sperm,
    That's more of an issue with comics being weirdly obsessive about things maybe people shouldn't be thinking about too much than the implications of a hero bargaining with the Devil. (Makes me think of Stan Lee's cameo on Mall Rats.)

Also gets less flak due to not being canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    That's more of an issue with comics being weirdly obsessive about things maybe people shouldn't be thinking about too much than the implications of a hero bargaining with the Devil. (Makes me think of Stan Lee's cameo on Mall Rats.)

Also gets less flak due to not being canon.

just to be clear, i'm not saying any of those things are equal (as you point out). more riffing about what the cans and can'ts are and wondering if there is a bible or rule book or its more or less fluid and case by case.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

ugh you had to bring that up. was the story Spiderman:reign where Pete gave mj cancer also the trial run for omd or just Marvel's homage to frank millers dark knight returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    And? So what, over 85% of CBR users overwhelmingly voted in a poll here that OMD should be undone.
    I'm not sure how that addresses what I said.

A writer of a character famous for never giving up in the face of adversity coming in to tell us little people to give up. That heavy bit of machinery can not be lifted. Aunt May is gonna die and there's nothing you or I or anyone can do about it.
    Peter wouldn't give up in the face of an unambiguously bad outcome (he dies, and Aunt May dies.)

The good in advocating for Spider-Man's marriage to be restored/ One More Day to be undone isn't as clear-cut. There are legitimate arguments on both sides of that issue.

We are dealing with real people spending their time a particular way, so if Slott understands that there is no chance that the marriage will be undone, it is beneficial for him to inform fans that efforts to get Marvel to change their mind are not a productive use of their time.

The people hearing Slott's message are also not in a position to make a tremendous difference either way. Whether fans give up now or not isn't going to have any impact on the ultimate decision.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

just to be clear, i'm not saying any of those things are equal (as you point out). more riffing about what the cans and can'ts are and wondering if there is a bible or rule book or its more or less fluid and case by case.
    Both, I guess.

I have to imagine someone saw the Devil deal being a problem. But Mephisto is to an extent just another villain in the Marvel Universe. What goes over as an ordinary villain plot in Ghost Rider can be seen as scandalous in Spider-Man.

The Devil is just dangerous territory in general. Even the Lucifer television show has people who are upset that it portrays the Devil as charming and handsome . . . even though that's pretty well in line with how he's described in Christian writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Spider-Man and Spider-Man's status as a character, brand, and franchise isn't just the purview of an editor, a group editor, a senior editor, or even the EIC. The fan-dream-scenario of someone who was Spider-Man-marriage-friendly secretly slaving away to rise up through the ranks that way and reinstate the marriage is a tad naive. Why?

Because there are VPs, Senior VPs, the CCO, the publisher, the president, the owner, Marvel Entertainment, Disney...

It's too simplistic to think that something like the spider-marriage-- which was initially rushed into happening-- and then was something the Powers That Be tried to undo (unsuccessfully) not that long after-- would EVER happen again (and that includes the act of reinstating it).

It just isn't happening. Even if you're not a fan-- or are even incredibly upset-- of how it happened, the fact that it did-- and it's stuck for a decade means that it's done. And it ain't EVER happening again.

Why are you crushing fans' dreams? Because it's been 10 years. It's NOT changing. EVER. I've seen members of the hardcore fringe argue about this for a decade-- and outside of the cathartic act of venting about it-- it is a completely pointless waste of energy. It's NEVER coming back.

Could MJ come back into the book? Yes. Could she be the main love interest again? Absolutely. Will they restore the marriage in the core continuity Spider-Man book? No.

The closest you're coming to that-- EVER-- is the Renew Your Vows continuity. So if you like that, please spend some of that energy and dedication supporting it.
    Thanks.

I'm trying to get a sense of what the chain of command is.

I'm trying to imagine the best case scenario for OMD haters. Someone who hates One More Day becomes Editor in Chief. Let's say this is a guy who was previously line editor on some really successful Defenders titles, so his views on Spider-Man aren't as well-known.

He wants the marriage back. The line editor disagrees. The new EIC pulls rank, although others are likely to be drawn into that conflict.

He would still have to persuade the VPs, the Senior VPs, the CCO, the publisher, the owner, Disney's top people, Marvel Entertainment's top people, etc. It can't be the situation that all will be on his side or indifferent enough to pass the buck.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

The Unicorn is the Beast of Possibility...

Hope and possibility are nothing but fleeting dreams glimpsed at from the doorstep of this nothingness, illusions that offer no comfort. They lead people astray and create meaningless conflict...One shouldn't place irrational hope on a light that fades away after its brief existence--
    BUT EVEN SO!
    --Gather up as much as you like. It will change nothing. Yes, nothing.....
    Last edited by Londo Bellian; 03-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.