Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

I think at the end of the day, all we can say that both iterations (married, single) have been proven to work long-term, offer good storytelling opportunities, have shaped the character as we know him today, and have their own mix of drawbacks, compromises, or other things that can't be done with it. Beyond that, it's a pick your poison, since different people will think that one set of pros is worth the accompanying cons, or that the drawbacks outweigh the good points.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    I think there could be a run or a storyline that resolves OMD. Or one that gives Spidey a win over Mephisto. But the end result of that story would still NOT be the reinstatement of the marriage. That's never happening for many, many, many ironclad, set-in-stone reasons.
    While I understand that the marriage may never be brought back, I'd really like to see a storyline where Peter gains redemption for what I feels as the worst decision he has ever made - dealing with Mephisto. Even just one where Spidey suits up in some sort of crazy armor or Parker Particles or something and beats the **** out of Mephisto would really go a long way in helping Spidey recover from that.

Secondly, I do hope that we will see Peter continue to grow personally as well. While I think Parker Industries has been the best step forward for Peter since he graduated from high school, I'm not a fan of how his emotional self seems to have regressed. I'd really like to see him in a proper relationship again (where it actually gets some screen time in the book - sorry, but Lian/Lien doesn't count). Since OMD, I've thought a relationship with Captain Marvel would be really cool - for the clear chemistry they showed before they were inexplicably broken apart, as well as the unique idea of Peter possible being the damsel in distress rather than the overplayed trope of him having to save his love interests. The one you are developing with Mockingbird seems like it could be interesting as well, though it has been kinda glossed over.

Actually, that's a general issue I've found in ASM. I think it's been great (though Peter's tech seems to have regressed since he was inventing omni-harmonic meshes and developing techniques to control/manipulate Parker Particles in Horizon Labs, which is unfortunate since I've always been a fan of Peter inventing stuff) but it's really lacking the human element. A renewed focus upon Peter's relationships with his supporting cast, employees, and possibly a significant other - while slowing the pace of all the back to back action - could really rejuvenate the book, IMHO.

It would also be great to see Peter actually working again - a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company doesn't just get to play hero all day long, and he can't ditch every single meeting he has. While the board meetings should be kept to the minimum (since they are kinda boring), it would be great to see Peter working on the tech for SHIELD that he invents, new consumer products, or at least Spider-Man gear/weaponry. That would also go along with giving Peter Parker more of the spotlight in his own book, rather than it all being about Spider-Man. While the book's main focus always has been Spidey, I think a lot of fans care equally about Peter's life, and giving him more screen time interacting with the people in his life and inventing the next big things would really be one of the best things the book could offer.

EDIT: I've been seeing a lot of rumours recently that Parker Industries is going to collapse for a "back to basics" approach with Peter wasting his time/talent once again. I really hope that isn't the case, because the double whammy of Marvel not letting Peter progress in a logical way either personally or professionally would really cause me (and many others, I believe) to lose all faith in Marvel's handling of any of their characters.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 03-13-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Soooo next Spidey event is gonna be a 12 issue Spider-Wedding extravaganza, right?
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    Soooo next Spidey event is gonna be a 12 issue Spider-Wedding extravaganza, right?
    Y'know, that might be the first drawn-out event I might actually, wholeheartedly, look forward too .

Fantastic Member

Default Question

Saw Dan's response about OMD.

Thought it was honest and fair, even if it wasn't what I'd like to hear

Despite is being unpopular - everyone is lock step because it archives a desired goal; so while the mechanism that brought it about may be imperfect - the end result is desired... So it stays.

Thank you for the insight...

How about with a story like Sins Past?

Something big and ambitious that missed the mark, in many people's minds ...

Was wondering if higher ups felt the same way as with OMD, if what was actually achieved was what was desired and if a story like that - where a sizable portion of the fanbase, including some staff, have expressed a desire for an eventual retcon as time passes...

Is there OMD type opposition, or is it just a lower priority that doesn't get written about anymore out of expediency ... Or does it just serve a purpose in the book that may not be obvious ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    While I understand that the marriage may never be brought back, I'd really like to see a storyline where Peter gains redemption for what I feels as the worst decision he has ever made - dealing with Mephisto. Even just one where Spidey suits up in some sort of crazy armor or Parker Particles or something and beats the **** out of Mephisto would really go a long way in helping Spidey recover from that.

Secondly, I do hope that we will see Peter continue to grow personally as well. While I think Parker Industries has been the best step forward for Peter since he graduated from high school, I'm not a fan of how his emotional self seems to have regressed. I'd really like to see him in a proper relationship again (where it actually gets some screen time in the book - sorry, but Lian/Lien doesn't count). Since OMD, I've thought a relationship with Captain Marvel would be really cool - for the clear chemistry they showed before they were inexplicably broken apart, as well as the unique idea of Peter possible being the damsel in distress rather than the overplayed trope of him having to save his love interests. The one you are developing with Mockingbird seems like it could be interesting as well, though it has been kinda glossed over.

Actually, that's a general issue I've found in ASM. I think it's been great (though Peter's tech seems to have regressed since he was inventing omni-harmonic meshes and developing techniques to control/manipulate Parker Particles in Horizon Labs, which is unfortunate since I've always been a fan of Peter inventing stuff) but it's really lacking the human element. A renewed focus upon Peter's relationships with his supporting cast, employees, and possibly a significant other - while slowing the pace of all the back to back action - could really rejuvenate the book, IMHO.

It would also be great to see Peter actually working again - a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company doesn't just get to play hero all day long, and he can't ditch every single meeting he has. While the board meetings should be kept to the minimum (since they are kinda boring), it would be great to see Peter working on the tech for SHIELD that he invents, new consumer products, or at least Spider-Man gear/weaponry. That would also go along with giving Peter Parker more of the spotlight in his own book, rather than it all being about Spider-Man. While the book's main focus always has been Spidey, I think a lot of fans care equally about Peter's life, and giving him more screen time interacting with the people in his life and inventing the next big things would really be one of the best things the book could offer.

EDIT: I've been seeing a lot of rumours recently that Parker Industries is going to collapse for a "back to basics" approach with Peter wasting his time/talent once again. I really hope that isn't the case, because the double whammy of Marvel not letting Peter progress in a logical way either personally or professionally would really cause me (and many others, I believe) to lose all faith in Marvel's handling of any of their characters.
    Eh, Peter will just make a deal with the devil again. That's right kids, Marvel's flagship character is allowed to make deals with the devil, but not allowed to be married, and they will again come up with an....."allegedly good reason" for why it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    The Powers That Be look after the franchise in ways they feel are best in the long term.
    So how was having Peter making a deal with the devil and erasing 20 years of canon in the best long term interest of the series?

OMD is without a doubt one of the most harmful things that a comic book company can publish cause it shows the people behind the scenes.
    Why should readers care about any future stories when they can be erased with a shitty deal with the devil just as easily as a long running 20 year popular romance?

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    So how was having Peter making a deal with the devil and erasing 20 years of canon in the best long term interest of the series?

OMD is without a doubt one of the most harmful things that a comic book company can publish cause it shows the people behind the scenes.
    Why should readers care about any future stories when they can be erased with a shitty deal with the devil just as easily as a long running 20 year popular romance?
    Why should you read anything? This is hardly the first time you've seen "behind the scenes"? What about countless stories when (fill in the blank) came back after obviously being killed? Or how we found out that such-and-such character was secretly involved in a story that they weren't even in? How about Peter Parker not being the REAL Peter Parker .. oops. Wait. No he is.

No

♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

no matter who says what some fans will always clamour for a reversal omd.

I hope not. Remember rule No.7

"Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings, we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices." (Terry Goodkind)
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by eSoldier View Post
    I hope not. Remember rule No.7

"Life is the future, not the past. The past can teach us, through experience, how to accomplish things in the future, comfort us with cherished memories, and provide the foundation of what has already been accomplished. But only the future holds life. To live in the past is to embrace what is dead. To live life to its fullest, each day must be created anew. As rational, thinking beings, we must use our intellect, not a blind devotion to what has come before, to make rational choices." (Terry Goodkind)
    The whole point of OMD was to go back to the past though.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    The whole point of OMD was to go back to the past though.
    This is true, I much prefer a single PP, but I didn't like how they did it. It seem cheap, convoluted and contrived, but what is done is done.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post

Obviously most readers have continued to "care about any future stories", post-OMD, as Spidey has remained one of Marvel's consistent top-sellers. If OMD was so harmful it sure hasn't shown it in Spidey's sales or popularity and we're far enough past OMD to know by now whether it really caused any damage. It hasn't.

Some fans continue to be very, very hung up on OMD and the marriage. And it's their right to obsess over whatever they want. But the bottom line is that most other fans moved past it long ago. And for younger fans, who've never followed a married Spidey in current continuity, it's a non-issue altogether.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eSoldier View Post
    This is true, I much prefer a single PP, but I didn't like how they did it. It seem cheap, convoluted and contrived, but what is done is done.
    We know the how, we know the why, the purpose of this thread is whether or not what is done can or cannot be undone.

Those in a position to know something say it can't/won't be undone, but also say some manner of resolution is still an option, which is better than nothing.