Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's a joke. The only people that are going to get upset about it are the people that were already upset anyway. Nobody else cares. You need to develop a sense of humor and stop assuming that just because you don't like thousands or fans are going to break down Marvel'
    s doors and burn the creators at the stake.
    It's a "joke" that has been repeated 3 or 4 times now in Spiderman/Deadpool,in Daredevil,and now with two OMD reference variants? That isn't a "joke" at all...and I think many of those who are Pro-OMD and Anti-MJ are starting to get a little worried, so you tell yourselves it's all a "joke" while ignoring the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    It's a "joke" that has been repeated 3 or 4 times now in Spiderman/Deadpool,in Daredevil,and now with two OMD reference variants? That isn't a "joke" at all...and I think many of those who are Pro-OMD and Anti-MJ are starting to get a little worried, so you tell yourselves it's all a "joke" while ignoring the writing on the wall.
    But what about the repeated insistence of Marvel's part that OMD is here to stay (for now, at the very least)? It could very well just be jokes, or them addressing it in some way, but choosing to leave things as they are when all is said and done.

BANNED

I dont think it is going to happen, but I am curious when you expect it to do so.

If the writing is on the wall, is it with the next relaunch of titles that is likely coming up after Secret Empire you are expecting it to happen?

When is the deadline you expect this happening?

And when/if it doesn´t happen then how long will you keep on claiming these are signs for it to happen in "the near future"?

Right, because Joe Kelly never writes humor in his books...

Is there any particular reason you're taking anything that happens in Spider-Man/Deadpool that seriously? I mean, even if a reversal was on the horizon why would they be dropping signs in that book and not the main Spider-Man title? Or is it your contention that Dan Slott is holding ASM hostage against his bosses, refusing to "write on the wall"?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-21-2017 at 12:41 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

I recall reading a while ago that Axel Alonzo made mention about not wanting to 'interrupt' stories that Slott was telling in ASM, so it's less about holding the book hostage and more having looser creative reign.

Also, keep in mind Slott has already dropped a OMD reference in his Silver Surfer book when he had Peter punch out a version of Mephisto and noted to himself that it "felt really good".
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-21-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Okay...but again, does it make sense that "signs" that something as life-altering for Peter as undoing OMD would appear anywhere except ASM, arguably the title that would be the most affected by such a reversal? (And that's ignoring the multiple times the writer of that very book has flat-out said it's not happening.) That sounds like the kind of thing that would be an exception to Axel's supposed hands-off policy you've mentioned.

And why would I keep that issue of Silver Surfer in mind? I haven't read it, but by your description that sounds like a simple meta-wink to the audience.

Also, and if someone's already brought up this point I apologize, if OMD was on the cusp of being reversed why would they publish an ongoing Renew Your Vows book? So we can have an alt-universe married Peter & MJ and a regular universe married Peter & MJ?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-21-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Bor and Conn,
    Since BND started have we as fans seen so much open call backs to OMD? If Marvel is committed to never addressing OMD then why do so now? And why bring up it up at the same time as Marvel is pushing MJ's character again? I think Joe Kelly is setting up the OMD resolution storyline and will make it his first arc as Slott's replacement on Amazing since Slott's contract is coming up for renewal here pretty soon.And yes...I think it will start with the Make Mine Marvel Initiative and the promise of a return to basics for all their characters. Spectacular was solicited as a return to basics but appears to have been changed to a Marvel Team-Up type book until the Make Mine Initiative begins. The fall of Parker Industries along with Miles removal from New York{which will happen in the Bendis Spidermen 2 title}, along with the Spiderman One Shot Master Plan story {which I believe will have MJ in it} will help set the stage for all of this.Now...I admit, I could be wrong and I will be the first to admit that, and if I am than that is just something I will have to accept. However, I will never give up the hope that OMD will one day be undone and resolved.
    And I would like to ask you in return...what if what I say does happen? Will you bemoan that Peter is no longer single and free to be with any woman he wants?
    In conclusion Marvel is not just making immature childish "jokes" here...they do have something major planned for Peter and MJ in the comics coming up and it does appear that OMD and the whole Mephisto thing will be addressed in some manner. I also find it odd how Deadpool/Wade is aware of this deal Peter has made with Mephisto in the past from the current issue of Deadpool and tells me that sooner or later he will say something to Peter about it.
    As for Slott...he has to go with what Editorial and the higher ups wants...plus, his tenure on Amazing has been close to 10 years now and I don't think Marvel wants to have another major launch with Slott again being on the title and will be replaced by Joe Kelly or someone else.
    Slott cannot stay on Amazing forever...it is high time he steps down and allows a new voice with new blood to takeover.Plus, it appears that Slott is wrapping up all of his major story plots and is putting all "the toys" back in the box so to speak.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Okay...but again, does it make sense that "signs" that something as life-altering for Peter as undoing OMD would appear anywhere except ASM, arguably the title that would be the most affected by such a reversal? (And that's ignoring the multiple times the writer of that very book has flat-out said it's not happening.) That sounds like the kind of thing that would be an exception to Axel's supposed hands-off policy you've mentioned.

And why would I keep that issue of Silver Surfer in mind? I haven't read it, but by your description that sounds like a simple meta-wink to the audience.

Also, and if someone's already brought up this point I apologize, if OMD was on the cusp of being reversed why would they publish an ongoing Renew Your Vows book? So we can have an alt-universe married Peter & MJ and a regular universe married Peter & MJ?
    As I mentioned...this is all set-up which will lead to its full resolution in Amazing under a new writer. As for RYV's it was hinted at by Slott that the 616 universe and the RYV's universe can merge and have interaction with one another just as Miles and Spider-Gwen show.Now...Marvel can have a resolution to OMD happen in some unexpected and unique ways that could result in some surprising twists that may or may not lead to Peter and MJ ending up remarried again. Marvel can find a way to give both Pro-Marriage and Anti-Marriage fans what they want at the same time which would result in a win-win for Marvel and the fans {both old and new} as a whole.

BANNED

In all openness I would like to address some thoughts on the current state of the fanbase of Spiderman and Amazing.
    Ever since OMD the fanbase has been divided....this is not good long term for Marvel,nor for the brand of Spiderman and Amazing,nor for the fans themselves.
    The Make Mine Marvel Initiative gives Marvel the chance to address some of the errors of the past and to heal old wounds with some of the older and newer fans.
    I want to see this "division" among the fanbase repaired with a resolution to OMD as best as it can be and which will leave the majority of fans something they all can live with and that will restore fans faith in Marvel and in the Spiderman brand as a whole.
    In turn this reunification of the fanbase will lead to even higher numbers for all Spiderman titles, along with restoring Marvel's popularity in both sales and readership across the board. Marvel really has a golden opportunity here to do just that. Now...not all fans are going to be happy but at least it would be a start at a process of healing and addressing the fans needs and wants as best as possible for all parties involved.This is what I would like to see more than anything because after 10 years of division and misunderstanding among the fanbase and Marvel it has gone on long enough.
    Thanks all for reading and considering these words.
    Last edited by Timmyb52; 04-21-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Bor and Conn,
    Since BND started have we as fans seen so much open call backs to OMD? If Marvel is committed to never addressing OMD then why do so now? And why bring up it up at the same time as Marvel is pushing MJ's character again? I think Joe Kelly is setting up the OMD resolution storyline and will make it his first arc as Slott's replacement on Amazing since Slott's contract is coming up for renewal here pretty soon.And yes...I think it will start with the Make Mine Marvel Initiative and the promise of a return to basics for all their characters. Spectacular was solicited as a return to basics but appears to have been changed to a Marvel Team-Up type book until the Make Mine Initiative begins. The fall of Parker Industries along with Miles removal from New York{which will happen in the Bendis Spidermen 2 title}, along with the Spiderman One Shot Master Plan story {which I believe will have MJ in it} will help set the stage for all of this.Now...I admit, I could be wrong and I will be the first to admit that, and if I am than that is just something I will have to accept. However, I will never give up the hope that OMD will one day be undone and resolved.
    I could see a couple of alternative spins. They could be doing an OMD followup but not reinstate the marriage (wasn't the idea that that it would a trilogy, with OMD and OMiT being the first two parts?). The Deadpool stuff could be the author playing around with the leftover pieces with no repercussions outside of that series. Also, Marvel could claim that they are taking things back to normal without reinstating the marriage; their opinion seems to be that Spider-Man being single (without a set love interest too?) is what "normal" Spider-Man looks like (I'd argue that taking into account the prevalence of the Spider-Man/Mary Jane relationship across the franchise as a whole, that OMD ASM is pretty far from "normal," but that's me.)

On top of that, there's the RYV series. I've gathered that Marvel's general stance seems to be perceived as: "If you want Spider-Man married, read that and be grateful that we deigned to throw you that bone." Whether or not that's the attitude, why would they want to undo OMD when they have that?

And I would like to ask you in return...what if what I say does happen? Will you bemoan that Peter is no longer single and free to be with any woman he wants?
    I get the sense that most pro-OMD people don't care that much about his love life than the anti-OMD ones.

In conclusion Marvel is not just making immature childish "jokes" here...they do have something major planned for Peter and MJ in the comics coming up and it does appear that OMD and the whole Mephisto thing will be addressed in some manner. I also find it odd how Deadpool/Wade is aware of this deal Peter has made with Mephisto in the past from the current issue of Deadpool and tells me that sooner or later he will say something to Peter about it.
    What if it's all just something that says: "OMD is here to stay, it'll never come back, and this's why it was a good idea in the first place"? (As far as Deadpool goes, wouldn't that just be 4th wall stuff?)

As for Slott...he has to go with what Editorial and the higher ups wants...
    Weren't the ones forcing OMD on the ASM comics ostensibly the higher ups, one's who have been pretty consistent so far that things need to stay the same? I've also gotten the impression that Slott and his bosses agree about OMD, as well.

plus, his tenure on Amazing has been close to 10 years now and I don't think Marvel wants to have another major launch with Slott again being on the title and will be replaced by Joe Kelly or someone else.
    Slott cannot stay on Amazing forever...it is high time he steps down and allows a new voice with new blood to takeover.Plus, it appears that Slott is wrapping up all of his major story plots and is putting all "the toys" back in the box so to speak.
    Whether or not it's time for Slott to leave or not is a matter of subjective opinion, but, so far as we know, his bosses have nothing but loved having him being the author. I'm not getting the sense that he's going any time soon (wouldn't be a big deal if he was; advertised as the finale of the greatest Spider-Man run and all that?). For all we know, the relaunch could be Slott staying and doing yet another era with a different central gimmick.

As I mentioned...this is all set-up which will lead to its full resolution in Amazing under a new writer.
    That's quite an assumption, since I'm not sure if Slott's leaving in the first place, nor am I sure that Marvel would allow the marriage to come back as a relaunch.

As for RYV's it was hinted at by Slott that the 616 universe and the RYV's universe can merge and have interaction with one another just as Miles and Spider-Gwen show.
    Sure, series do it all the time. No need for a major change.

Now...Marvel can have a resolution to OMD happen in some unexpected and unique ways that could result in some surprising twists that may or may not lead to Peter and MJ ending up remarried again.
    Why would the want to do that? What they want is a single Spider-Man, they have that already. (Now, I will concede that I could seem them doing OMD part 3 or something, but I'm not sure they have anything to gain by monkeying around with the original.)

Marvel can find a way to give both Pro-Marriage and Anti-Marriage fans what they want at the same time which would result in a win-win for Marvel and the fans {both old and new} as a whole.
    I think they see RYV as that compromise. Besides, I think between giving the fans what they want and sticking to their agenda, Marvel will do the latter. They've been doing it for ten years and seem happy with where it's gotten them.

BANNED

WebLurker,
    you could be right on all points, and all I can say with any certainty IMO is that Marvel would not be addressing these OMD callbacks for no reason, and it seems we are getting more and more of them as of late. My main question is if Marvel does not even want the marriage and OMD ever to be addressed or to come up...then why are they doing it over and over again so much lately, making sure we all notice it? It is hard to say what Marvel has exactly planned when it comes to all of this...but it is obvious that they do have something planned in regards to it. All we can do at this point is speculate and wait to see what happens with the Make Mine Marvel Initiative along with these OMD call backs and references.And like I said...there is ways for Marvel to address OMD while at the same time not bringing back the marriage. For example...let's say that 616 Peter and MJ find out about OMD but decide to just stay friends,boyfriend/girlfriend and agree that the whole "marriage" thing is just a little to uncomfortable for them at this moment in time.There are many routes a creative writer can go down and choose from in addressing all this that can leave the "marriage" off the table. And Yes...Quesada did say he had a third part in mind in addressing OMD and that could be some of what we are seeing now...or it could be something entirely different and not based on Quesadas stuff at all.Hard to say...I guess we will all have to just wait and see.

BANNED

WebLurker,
    you could be right on all points, and all I can say with any certainty IMO is that Marvel would not be addressing these OMD callbacks for no reason, and it seems we are getting more and more of them as of late. My main question is if Marvel does not even want the marriage and OMD ever to be addressed or to come up...then why are they doing it over and over again so much lately, making sure we all notice it? It is hard to say what Marvel has exactly planned when it comes to all of this...but it is obvious that they do have something planned in regards to it. All we can do at this point is speculate and wait to see what happens with the Make Mine Marvel Initiative along with these OMD call backs and references.And like I said...there is ways for Marvel to address OMD while at the same time not bringing back the marriage. For example...let's say that 616 Peter and MJ find out about OMD but decide to just stay friends,boyfriend/girlfriend and agree that the whole "marriage" thing is just a little to uncomfortable for them at this moment in time.There are many routes a creative writer can go down and choose from in addressing all this that can leave the "marriage" off the table. And Yes...Quesada did say he had a third part in mind in addressing OMD and that could be some of what we are seeing now...or it could be something entirely different and not based on Quesadas stuff at all.Hard to say...I guess we will all have to just wait and see.
    I am going to echo Conn Seanery and ask you if you have actually read Joe Kellys writing before since jokes and references like that is completely in line with that and Deadpools general homour. Again: why would it make sense to bring back the marrige when we already have a book that has that as its main feature? The way you are grasping for straws here and making a whole lot of assumptions is really mind bugling.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Deadpool? The guy who compared X-Men and Charles Xavier to the Heaven's Gate Cult in the movie? It was likely going to give Peter and Wade the shaft. That is Deadpool for ya!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I am going to echo Conn Seanery and ask you if you have actually read Joe Kellys writing before since jokes and references like that is completely in line with that and Deadpools general homour. Again: why would it make sense to bring back the marrige when we already have a book that has that as its main feature?
    As it's been pointed out several times in this thread, Spider-Man/Deadpool has not been the only book with callbacks to OMD lately. Daredevil and Silver Surfer had them too.

Why people ignore this is truly mind-boggling. Almost as if it's willful negligence of the facts because they want to tune out any remote possibility of the territory being covered again.

"Don't mention the war" in comic book form.

The outcome of a mainline OMD resolution may not result in the marriage returning (from the words of people with a reputation for misdirection), but I don't think spotting a concerted promotional effort to remind people of it is a case of "straw grasping".
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-22-2017 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    As it's been pointed out several times in this thread, Spider-Man/Deadpool has not been the only book with callbacks to OMD lately. Daredevil and Silver Surfer had them too.
    Cant comment on the Daredevil since I havent read it, but Silver Surfer is by the writer himself and its function there as more like a joke then any other thing. For 10 years now certain fans have tried to use every little reference as a FACT that the marrige was going to return. When omit happened they said that was a sign, when RYW was announced last year they used that to point to as FACT that the marrige was returning, and the list keeps going on. There have been so many moments over the years where it could have happened and it did not. I am not saying it could not happen this time, but those who argue that there are more references to it now are kidding themselves. Yeah a story dealing with it could happen, but the marrige being brought back is not the same thing as a story dealing with it.
    Last edited by Bor; 04-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.