Page 6 of 91 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    At this point I think sins past will be retconned long before one more day is but even sins past is still in continuity in many ways it's far worse than one more day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Yes One more day will be invalidated at some undetermined point in time. Unless someone from the future points out to me it wont, it holds a chance of being removed from continuity.
    If Ben Reilly can become a bad guy, if decades of story can be changed without explanation, if magic had some small role in Spider-man's origins, and Norman Osborn could've had sex with Gwen Stacy, anything is possible, and by extension anything is possible in comics.

Sins Past and OMD are two sides of a coin to me, they are both very stupid ideas that make a cluster#$^# of continuity. Ben coming back insane is more of an expectation given all the **** of being killed and brought back repeatedly could do to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Part of it is how successful the alternate universe of RYV is so far. I mean, if you make multiple successful revenues, Marvel reasons they can tell different stories for multiple streams. I don't hate RYV, but it is my observation that they set that up to defer the status kind of like DC back in the older days had those alternate universe "imaginary tales".

it's been said that its hard to judge an au title because it is severely handicapped by readers who just can't do anything non 616 (which i personally find a bit silly. especially since the point of the number 616 is that "our marvel" isn't the prime universe or that a prime universe doesn't exist)...have any au titles ever sold consistently well?

anyway, telling different stories in multiple streams is a good direction, if the market can support it.
    troo fan or death

have any au titles ever sold consistently well?
    The Ultimate Universe hung in there ... probably a lot longer than it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The Ultimate Universe hung in there ... probably a lot longer than it should have.
    ha. how did i miss that one? so it can be done.
    troo fan or death

It's been a while since I've posted here but this thread brought my interest enough to say something.

If it's true that Spider-Man is doomed to never have his marriage to MJ restored, then it's a little wierd to think that we are past his greatest possible relationship status quo ever in core continuity and we can never get that back.

I can't think of a way to have a future relationship meet or exceed what that relationship was given the fact that he can no longer tie the knot with anyone. So it's kind of awkward and disappointing that Marvel are willing to settle for second place romances from here on out....

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted here but this thread brought my interest enough to say something.

If it's true that Spider-Man is doomed to never have his marriage to MJ restored, then it's a little wierd to think that we are past his greatest possible relationship status quo ever in core continuity and we can never get that back.

I can't think of a way to have a future relationship meet or exceed what that relationship was given the fact that he can no longer tie the knot with anyone. So it's kind of awkward and disappointing that Marvel are willing to settle for second place romances from here on out....
    The flipside of that argument is that we'll never have to watch his relationship stagnate as badly as it did during the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    it's been said that its hard to judge an au title because it is severely handicapped by readers who just can't do anything non 616 (which i personally find a bit silly. especially since the point of the number 616 is that "our marvel" isn't the prime universe or that a prime universe doesn't exist)...have any au titles ever sold consistently well?

anyway, telling different stories in multiple streams is a good direction, if the market can support it.
    I personally have enjoyed a lot of non-canon works, especially for the unorthodox plots or outlandish stories they have in them. I never understood the idea of going pure canon. I alwa But Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Girl are two cases where they were out of continuity but did pretty well for a time. The fact that Spider-Girl began as a "What If?" and lasted more than ten years makes a case that alternate universe materials can sometimes do fairly well to justify running on for a while.

Mighty Member

Quite telling how Slott is not the one doing the latest back to basics storyline.

Mighty Member

Curious on how defensive Slott was on omd.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Curious on how defensive Slott was on omd.
    The answer can be found on pages 2-5 of this thread.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 03-11-2017 at 09:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post

Ok, really here with this? Who are these love interests you speak of?

The only other significant one is Gwen who is in the ground. Felicia has been twisted into some funhouse mirror version of the character.

If you're going to make a claim like this, please back it up with examples.
    You really think that MJ has been the only love interest of value in the entire Spider-Man cannon?

And to clarify, my statement was that the various women that Peter has dated over the years have added to the richness of the book. That would include Gwen and Felicia, regardless of their current status quos. You can't imagine Spider-Man without Gwen as a part of that history (for someone "in the ground", Gwen still maintains quite a presence in the world of Spider-Man). To a lesser extent Felicia was a key player for many years as a love interest and whether you like her current status quo or not, the fact is she's still a vital part of the tapestry of the book - so the part she's played in Peter's life as a love interest and otherwise is extremely significant right to this day.

Then of course you'd have to talk about Betty Brant, not just Peter's first love but a supporting cast member who remains one of Peter's oldest and dearest friends.

Then there's the girlfriends that were less iconic but yet still have their fanbases. I've always been a Deb Whitman guy myself and I'm sure Marcy Kane had her admirers - as does Carlie Cooper. And while Anna Maria may not have been Peter's girlfriend specifically, she would not been a part of Peter's life had Peter been married when Otto took over Peter's body. Having "Peter" be available allowed him to date Anna. And post-SSM, Anna Maria has developed into an even more important member of Peter's inner circle and, as she's assisted Peter in his Spidey activities and braved her own share of danger, become a hero in her own right.

So a variety of women - all of whom wouldn't have played the same role they did had Peter not been single when he met them - have all enriched Peter's life over the years.

And I'll always say that he really missed the boat in not dating Gloria Grant.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-11-2017 at 09:53 PM.

I still think that after Spider-Verse, and especially with Spider-Gwen, that something being an AU title shouldn't matter. While it doesn't take place in the main 616 canon, it still exists in the multiverse, and with a simple dimensional travel watch (which are all over the place now), you can go anywhere. There is a very possible chance a Renew Your Vows crossover could happen, it's just the real question of when.

I guess it isn't really about the stories not mattering with how people react, but moreso that these characters aren't exactly the "main characters" that people have been following most. Although with something like RYV, it'ss till closer to the original than other versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Believe all you want.
    It's far more likely that you'd see a line-wide reboot that reset Spider-Man to high school years (and on model with the creators' original intent) then the marriage being restored. And THAT is never going to happen either.
    I'm sure that the creators original intent was for the character to grow and evolve since Peter was only in high school for the first 28 issues.

I'm sure that the creators original intent was for the character to grow and evolve since Peter was only in high school for the first 28 issues.
    I'm sure the creators intent was more along the lines of "Let's tell some stories for a couple of years before superheroes lose popularity and he's forgotten."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PowersThatBe View Post
    DC is also going to be starting to release digital copies of their comics within the physical ones purchased, and with nicer quality paper and at times, a cheaper price tag, DC will continue to grow a readership. Marvel needs to do something they need something big like removing OMD. It doesn't need to be that specifically, but it needs to be big as big as undoing a blunder like that. The past 10 years of sales of Spider-Man comics show a mixed charts that are never stable, showing that the way they handled removing the marriage has cost them.
    After New52, plenty of armchair pundits were quick to make all kinds of assertions about what Marvel HAD to do to compete with DC and how, for their own good, Marvel really needed to follow DC's example before the roof caved in on them.

Turns out that was all a lot of premature thinking. The New52 eventually fell apart and Rebirth was the Hail Mary pass to get them out of it. All the while, Marvel continued to thrive just following their own instincts.

Guess how things are going to go this time around? About the same.

And for the record, Spider-Man is one of the most stable titles out there and has remained as such for years. Undoing the marriage hasn't cost them at all.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.