Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1359
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Not Lois Lane level. She didn't feature in any of the TV shows until the 1990s (aside from one episode of the '60s series where she was Captain Stacy's niece).
    Right then I concur with that. However the same would go for other Spider Man love interests during that period. In any case, within the Spider Man mythos, Mary Jane had carved out a solid place and legacy. Mary Jane has been and is more popular than Gwen or Black Cat have ever been during their entire history.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Right then I concur with that. However the same would go for other Spider Man love interests during that period.
    I never said otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That does assume that marriage/relationship-only fans are a big enough faction in the buying customers demographic to influence sales. While I'm not sure how to prove or disprove that, there is always the possibility that they're not.

(I have seen the same arguments from the Star Wars Legends movement, which is a group I'm pretty sure overestimates their size and influence. It's an easy mistake to make, esp. with the web tending to form echo chambers, the fact that the only people we hear from are just the most vocal, etc. So, it is worth considering that the anti-OMD crowd may be falling into the same trap.)
    Neither the pro-marriage, nor the anti-marriage fans can "prove" they are the majority opinion or position...my point is and always has been that this divided fanbase is not healthy for the hobby nor Marvel itself.For one "side" to keep insinuating and assuming that there position is the majority opinion just because their side holds the present Amazing status quo and that pro-marriage fans should just "get over it" and move on is rather presumptuous. And to also believe that your preferred status quo will always stay the same and never change after 10 years is also arrogant and ignores the fact that the marriage was with us for 20 years and was changed very quickly...the same can happen again at any time with Peter's "single" BND man-child status.If Marvel was truly concerned about the state of the current Amazing title and increasing that titles sales, along with bringing back disgruntled fans they would seek and institute a middle ground that would appease both the pro and anti-marriage fans with Legacy...whether this happens or not remains to be seen.
    In my posts I have never stated or maintained that the pro-marriage fans are the majority...I have always pushed for seeing the fanbase healed of a 10 year division.
    And yes...I agree Weblurker that both sides fall into this "trap"....while overlooking the easy solution that Marvel/Slott could give to all of us {i.e. bringing Peter and MJ back together again without a marriage and resolving the deal made with OMD}.
    Last edited by Timmyb52; 06-05-2017 at 08:04 PM.

BANNED

All I am curious about Legacy is if currently deceased characters like Hulk and Adult Jean Grey will be back to life truly, not in some one shot or temporarily but truly brought back and placed into their respective books as comic book characters again. As for Spider Man, it will reinforce the Peter Miles relationship and further establish Miles though what's in store for Peter is what worries me.

19:25 mark is my absolute favorite part of the video. Its all I want, and good stories with it.

Legacy will have Mephisto bring back Jean Grey,Bruce Banner and make everyone forget Steve Rogers was ever a Hydra/Nazi agent {lol}. Just having a little bit of fun at OMD's expense.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    {i.e. bringing Peter and MJ back together again without a marriage and resolving the deal made with OMD}.
    Screw that. OMD's specific purpose was to undo the marriage. Retconning OMD needs to restore the marriage because that is the sole purpose of what that story was made to do. Bringing them back together and undoing the deal with the devil but not bringing back the marriage is essentially a worthless pointless gesture. If the marriage isn't restored than Mephisto still has it and Peter and MJ still lost. That is unacceptable.

BANNED

Screw that. OMD's specific purpose was to undo the marriage. Retconning OMD needs to restore the marriage because that is the sole purpose of what that story was made to do. Bringing them back together and undoing the deal with the devil but not bringing back the marriage is essentially a worthless pointless gesture. If the marriage isn't restored than Mephisto still has it and Peter and MJ still lost. That is unacceptable.
    You are forgetting that since OMD happened many things have changed as a result since that time both in Peter's life and MJ's. For instance...they both got involved in other relationships and pursued other lifestyles. Peter and MJ can not magically just have the marriage reinstituted over night, as was done with OMD taking away the marriage. OMD also changed in subtle ways how Peter and MJ feel about one another...they still have feelings for one another and may even love one another to a certain degree still but they are not in the same place as they were before the events of OMD. I'm not one who believes we should undo 10 years of BND continuity or Slott's run just to bring back the marriage as if OMD never happened. Peter and MJ's choice to accept Mephisto's deal had consequences and has affected their characters and how they see one another now in the present continuity whether they realize that or not {I still believe MJ knows about OMD and had her own selfish reasons for pushing Peter into accepting it other than saving Aunt May}Although the issues caused by OMD as it relates to the relationship between Peter and MJ are not major they are still significant enough to give Marvel/Slott plenty of drama to work with between the characters before they could ever get to a point of considering again whether to recommit to a marriage any time soon.I want the marriage back also...but we should be realistic enough about our own bias and preferences to seek a middle ground that can make the majority of the fanbase happy and renew interest in the Spidey titles...while at the same time healing the divided fanbase and removing the stench of OMD off of Marvel.
    I would also like to add that if OMD is resolved it is up to Peter and MJ in story to decide whether they wish to recognize the marriage or not. Yes, once OMD is resolved it will also mean the marriage is back in canon,however, it does not mean that others will remember them having been married or that Peter and MJ will wish to pursue it at that time.Although Peter and MJ win back their original memories and the marriage it is still up to them whether or not to take it up from where they left off...and remember they have changed since then and so has their relationship.
    Marvel can handle this in many ways and have a ton of options on the table creatively that would allow Marvel and the fans {both pro and anti marriage} to have their cake and eat it too for the time being. It isn't a perfect solution by any means...but it is a workable solution for the present moment in time.And who knows what the future may hold down the line in regards to Peter and MJ...they could at one point decide to get remarried.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    You are forgetting that since OMD happened many things have changed as a result since that time both in Peter's life and MJ's. For instance...they both got involved in other relationships and pursued other lifestyles. Peter and MJ can not magically just have the marriage reinstituted over night, as was done with OMD taking away the marriage. OMD also changed in subtle ways how Peter and MJ feel about one another...they still have feelings for one another and may even love one another to a certain degree still but they are not in the same place as they were before the events of OMD. I'm not one who believes we should undo 10 years of BND continuity or Slott's run just to bring back the marriage as if OMD never happened. Peter and MJ's choice to accept Mephisto's deal had consequences and has affected their characters and how they see one another now in the present continuity whether they realize that or not {I still believe MJ knows about OMD and had her own selfish reasons for pushing Peter into accepting it other than saving Aunt May}Although the issues caused by OMD as it relates to the relationship between Peter and MJ are not major they are still significant enough to give Marvel/Slott plenty of drama to work with between the characters before they could ever get to a point of considering again whether to recommit to a marriage any time soon.I want the marriage back also...but we should be realistic enough about our own bias and preferences to seek a middle ground that can make the majority of the fanbase happy and renew interest in the Spidey titles...while at the same time healing the divided fanbase and removing the stench of OMD off of Marvel.
    I would also like to add that if OMD is resolved it is up to Peter and MJ in story to decide whether they wish to recognize the marriage or not. Yes, once OMD is resolved it will also mean the marriage is back in canon,however, it does not mean that others will remember them having been married or that Peter and MJ will wish to pursue it at that time.Although Peter and MJ win back their original memories and the marriage it is still up to them whether or not to take it up from where they left off...and remember they have changed since then and so has their relationship.
    Marvel can handle this in many ways and have a ton of options on the table creatively that would allow Marvel and the fans {both pro and anti marriage} to have their cake and eat it too for the time being. It isn't a perfect solution by any means...but it is a workable solution for the present moment in time.And who knows what the future may hold down the line in regards to Peter and MJ...they could at one point decide to get remarried.
    OMD crapped upon 20 years of history and character development. In four single issues they did this. As quickly as they took it away is as quickly I want it back. Eye for an eye. The developments after OMD are a result of Mephisto's spell. These "relationships" Peter and MJ got involved in after the unholy separation are a flash, a blink of an eye that matters little if at all. Peter and MJ's feelings changed towards each other because of the spell that's keeping them apart. Those are not their true feelings. The last ten years of continuity will have happened all the same but as though Peter and MJ never made the deal with the devil.

Peter and MJ's choice to make the deal with the devil, hell to even consider it is an out of character move that is completely uncharacteristic of either one of them that should never have happened at all. That wasn't them. For all intents and purposes I believe Mephisto manipulated them in their moment of weakness and desperation to agree to such a heinous act. As OMD is destroyed, all their animosity and insecurity towards each other after the devil deal would dissappear and the people they were before, their true selves would emerge again and them recommitting to the marriage is not an issue because they will be back together and MARRIED. Pal, if OMD is resolved, Peter and MJ WILL get back together and they WILL recognize the marriage because that was the whole point of OMD, that is what they sold to Mephisto and it is exactly that what they will get back. They won't get all that back just to reflect if its a good idea, they will choose to be together again because that's what they chose when they married in the first place.

BANNED

Thought I'd share this in here. I doubt it'll sway anyone's opinions at Marvel if they're that gung-ho about lockstep proceedings, but it's worth it for discussion here

It appears even Batman wants to get hitched now...to Catwoman.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06...solved-months/

As many can tell, Bruce and Selina is regarded in just as divisive circles as Peter and MJ, if not more so. There have been takes on the characters which suggest Selina would easily tire of the domestic life, and indeed, the Silver Age Catwoman, despite being happily married and a mother, wound up dead because she went back to her old life.

..Still, DC could stand to make some pretty big buzz with a Bat-wedding regardless of the outcome

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    All you're point proves is that people complain about things on the internet.

People still complain about Highlander 2. People complain constantly that the X-men haven't been good since the 90s and that Batman hasn't been good since the 70s or 80s. Most Star Wars discussions eventually mention how the Prequels ruined everything. You're not special. More annoying maybe, but not special and certainly not accomplishing anything.

The argument works both ways. Why don't you adjust to the current status quo? In fact, the argument work better this way because the status quo is NOT going to change to the way you want it to be anyway.

(Every single time I go to type quo, I always write qou and have to go back to change it. I don't know why those three letters give me so many problems.)
    To add to that, why not try something else? WHo knows if Spider-Man isn't someone's piece of cake right now, perhaps Star Wars, or Avengers, or Green Arrow, or even totally outside of comics, there's a boatload of superhero stuff on TV with Netflix Marvel and CW DC.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Thought I'd share this in here. I doubt it'll sway anyone's opinions at Marvel if they're that gung-ho about lockstep proceedings, but it's worth it for discussion here

As many can tell, Bruce and Selina is regarded in just as divisive circles as Peter and MJ, if not more so. There have been takes on the characters which suggest Selina would easily tire of the domestic life, and indeed, the Silver Age Catwoman, despite being happily married and a mother, wound up dead because she went back to her old life.

..Still, DC could stand to make some pretty big buzz with a Bat-wedding regardless of the outcome
    That's DC and that's Batman, not Spider-Man, apples to oranges. Wow, gotta love the smell of "Spider-Man needs to copycat everyone else at DC Comics" in the morning.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    That's DC and that's Batman, not Spider-Man, apples to oranges. Wow, gotta love the smell of "Spider-Man needs to copycat everyone else at DC Comics" in the morning.
    Felicia Hardy Queenpin and Renew Your Vows are totally their expresso then

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    It's also pretty early in that story.

To be fair, there would be potential in a series about those characters making a marriage work.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

It happened before via PRE-COIE Batman and Catwoman of Earth-2.

BANNED

Is there anyway to get rid of the deal and redeem Peter and MJ in the eyes of various fans without having the marriage reinstalled ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Is there anyway to get rid of the deal and redeem Peter and MJ in the eyes of various fans without having the marriage reinstalled ?
    What would be the point of that?

Peter and MJ still lose. OMD's sole purpose was to undo the marriage. That was the reason for everything. If they don't recover that then it was all for nothing, a worthless and pointless gesture. Say Peter and MJ learn of OMD and the deal they made, they confront Mephisto and defeat him but they DON'T get their marriage back which is what they sold to Mephisto in the first place. Nothing happened at all. If they don't recover the marriage, than the deal they made is still active, they still made a fricking deal with the devil.

Case in point, if the marriage is not recovered, you know, the entire reason of OMD, then nothing is achieved and it was all a pointless gesture. How can they get rid of the deal that took their marriage away, but not have their marriage reinstated upon its elimination? Their future daughter's fate was determined by it. Plus, if they did eliminate the deal and received all of their memories and feelings from when they were married and in their minds they still are, they would seek to officially restore it and continue it.
    Last edited by UnknownEntity; 06-06-2017 at 07:49 PM.