BANNED

Default Walking Dead/Spawn crossover

If a crossover with Walking Dead and Spawn were to happen. What would everyone think about the two comics crossing over.

Can the writers make the story work?.

A good writer could make any story work. But it wouldn't be easy in this case, as there really is no natural way to crossover, as their world's are vastly different. TWD is set in the "real world", while Spawn is set in a fantasy/superhero comic-book world. I guess you could do some story where Spawn is somehow transported to the world of TWD and encounters the main characters and maybe helps them get out of some kind of trouble (like wipes out a bunch of attacking zombies) before being zapped back to his own world.

Or do some separate out-of-continuity mash-up. Take the classic Al Simmons origin story, where he's a soldier who is betrayed and killed in action, he goes to Hell and sells his soul to Malebogia in exchange to be sent back to Earth so Al can see his wife Wanda ago. But when Al returns in the form of Spawn, he discovered that 10 years have passed and during that time his wife moved on and married a sheriff named Rick Grimes and had a son with him named Carl. And, oh yeah, now most of humanity has been turned into zombies.

BANNED

if vampirella can crossover with aliens no reason why spawn cannot crossover with walking dead.

Quote Originally Posted by iblogalot View Post
    Or do some separate out-of-continuity mash-up.
    This is only way I could see it working - two vastly different universes, would have to be quite the situation to link them together
    mycomix.online is a user generated database
    Catalogue your comic book collection quickly and easily
    Submit comic books to the database and help grow the catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if vampirella can crossover with aliens no reason why spawn cannot crossover with walking dead.
    That was a dumb book, but making use of Vampi's immortality to live that long was believable.

As for the OP's question. No, it wouldn't work. Now if the Punisher would get time-phased to TWD universe that could work quite well.

It could work, but the results would be a lot different depending on which universe you wanted to set it in.

Set in TWD universe you wouldn't get Spawn but you would get bad ass special forces operator Al Simmons (looking for his wife Wanda?) which could be fun.

Or, since Rick and Shane exist in the "Image Superhero Universe" there's no reason why a zombie outbreak couldn't suddenly happen there too.
    Spawn (along with Savage Dragon, Witchblade etc) would have to fight to save the world from the undead.

Either way it could work with the right creative teams IMO.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by iblogalot View Post
    A good writer could make any story work.
    That's not true. Great writers have stories that don't work and they go unpublished, until their estate does a cash grab after they're dead or incapacitated. A good writer knows what works and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by prismablue View Post
    That's not true. Great writers have stories that don't work and they go unpublished, until their estate does a cash grab after they're dead or incapacitated. A good writer knows what works and what doesn't.
    Yes, I agree, but I think you took what I was saying wrong, and I can see how you would. I'll attempt to rephrase and clarify. I don't mean if you're a good writer you can make ANY story work (and therefor if you can't make a particular story work, then you're not a good writer). I'm saying any story can be made to work with the right writer (I should say almost any story, just to avoid absolutes). It's like the saying there are no bad characters, just bad writers. We've all seen examples of lame characters who have been built up by certain writers over the years. It may not always be easy (indeed some character only seem to work with certain writers, look at all the attempts to revive Doom Patrol, since Grant Morrison left), some characters and stories may be harder to make work then others, but for the most part it can be done. I'm sure someone out there could write a totally awesome Matter-Eater Lad story, y'know?

So that's what mean, with this question. On the face of it, no, a Spawn/Walking Dead crossover doesn't seem like it would work. It's not a natural pairing. But I'm not saying it absolutely couldn't be done well, it just depends on the writer. Heck, someone made an Archie/Punisher crossover work, so anything's possible.

Nobody thought a Punisher/Archie crossover would work and it turned out to be great.