Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not choices when women are kept out of the higher paying jobs and routinely passed over for promotion.
    The study clearly states it isn't by choice that women pay less.
    I am very sure you will discount any societal prejudice that results in women making less.
    They probably want to make less, like the poor don't want healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Not choices when women are kept out of the higher paying jobs and routinely passed over for promotion.
    The study clearly states it isn't by choice that women pay less.
    I am very sure you will discount any societal prejudice that results in women making less.
    They probably want to make less, like the poor don't want healthcare.
    No one keeps women out of high-paying fields. As a group, they are less likely to CHOOSE to go into those fields because as a group, they have different priorities than men do. They CHOOSE to work less hours than men do, on average, for similar reasons, which affects earnings and promotion.

All this wage gap nonsense does is trick young women into thinking the world is against them.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    No one keeps women out of high-paying fields. As a group, they are less likely to CHOOSE to go into those fields because as a group, they have different priorities than men do. They CHOOSE to work less hours than men do, on average, for similar reasons, which affects earnings and promotion.

All this wage gap nonsense does is trick young women into thinking the world is against them.
    If that helps you sleep better

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...ces-women-make

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jillia...b_4725356.html
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-12-2017 at 04:16 PM.

When an article is titled "Stop Debating", it's a little hard to take seriously.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    From that bastion of the patriarchy, Georgetown University:
    I hate to do this to someone while they're banned, but... on what planet is 55%, etc, "dominating"?

And since no one on this planet looks at the wage gap as an issue where you compare two entirely unrelated professions to each other and expect them to have the same pay or arrangements, what does this breakdown even bring to the table at all? Other than distraction?
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 03-13-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

If people are doing the same quality of work in the same amount of time then the people deserve the same compensation. Regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I hate to do this to someone while they're banned, but... on what planet is 55%, etc, "dominating"?
    The average is 76.85%

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    And since no one on this planet looks at the wage gap as an issue where you compare two entirely unrelated professions to each other and expect them to have the same pay or arrangements, what does this breakdown even bring to the table at all? Other than distraction?
    I kind of agree with you about this. The only real answer I can give you is, it makes me question if male dominated professions get paid more because they are male dominated occupations, or are males more likely to choose the industry that makes them more money as opposed to making them happier?
    Last edited by Jackmando7; 03-15-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: I can't spel

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I always assumed that if work experience and training are equal, then men and women would make the same amount in level conditions; but men would gradually pull ahead on a yearly scale because they don't have to deal with things like pregnancy or maternity leave.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    If people are doing the same quality of work in the same amount of time then the people deserve the same compensation. Regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation.

The average is 76.85%

I kind of agree with you about this. The only real answer I can give you is, it makes me question if male dominated professions get paid more because they are male dominated occupations, or are males more likely to choose the industry that makes them more money as opposed to making them happier?
    There are a few complex factors.

Women are more likely to seek out jobs that allow them to take time off (in terms of working fewer hours, or taking months/ years off.)

Men are more likely to go for jobs where that kind of thing is discouraged. Engineers would have deal with new technology when returning after several years away. Lawyers would have a serious learning curve due to new regulations.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There is equal and then there is commensurate. I believe in equal pay for commensurate work. Not equal pay for equal work because, lets face it, people in the same position practically never all do equal amounts of work. Some are workaholics. Some are slower so it takes more time. Some are weaker (yes, both men and women) so they don't get the heavy lifting tasks.

Its all good as long as the boss is a good boss and evens out the work in a commensurate way.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There are a few complex factors.

Women are more likely to seek out jobs that allow them to take time off (in terms of working fewer hours, or taking months/ years off.)

Men are more likely to go for jobs where that kind of thing is discouraged. Engineers would have deal with new technology when returning after several years away. Lawyers would have a serious learning curve due to new regulations.
    This might be a little silly, but what you said kind of reminded me of that famous quote. Something like, People have two things to spend, time and money. Most people would rather spend their money than their time.

When I decided to go back to school was the salaries of the jobs I could possibly have before I looked at if it was something I could see myself doing. But, I'm in my 30's, I support myself, my parents are dead. My 18 year old self may have viewed things a quite bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I always assumed that if work experience and training are equal, then men and women would make the same amount in level conditions; but men would gradually pull ahead on a yearly scale because they don't have to deal with things like pregnancy or maternity leave.
    Do you think there a difference in salaries between a woman who had children, and a women that didn't? Is it fair if there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    There is equal and then there is commensurate. I believe in equal pay for commensurate work. Not equal pay for equal work because, lets face it, people in the same position practically never all do equal amounts of work. Some are workaholics. Some are slower so it takes more time. Some are weaker (yes, both men and women) so they don't get the heavy lifting tasks.

Its all good as long as the boss is a good boss and evens out the work in a commensurate way.
    How about in sports? I recently saw the USA women's hockey team is threatening to boycott the international tournament (which is being held in Michigan) because they want equality with the men's national team.

If they are talking about things like equipment, facilities, and travel I fully support them. If they are saying they want the same pay check, it makes me ask what pay should be based off of?

Do you think there a difference in salaries between a woman who had children, and a women that didn't? Is it fair if there is?
    If they're doing the same work at the same skill level, then why should there be a difference in pay?
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Sure it's fair. Some women are more career inclined and don't wish to be burdened with children. The result is that they pull ahead.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Sure it's fair. Some women are more career inclined and don't wish to be burdened with children. The result is that they pull ahead.
    You're automatically assuming someone who doesn't want kids is more career-minded and hardworking than someone who does want/have kids. Meanwhile, I've seen workplaces where staff run around like chicken with their heads cut off because the person who does most of the work went on a family vacation.

Some people just don't want kids and that personal choice doesn't automatically translate to better work ethic.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja