View Poll Results: Favorite Gerry Conway villain?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hammerhead

4 20.00%
  • Jonas Harrow

0 0%
  • Man-Wolf

0 0%
  • Jackal

7 35.00%
  • Tarantula

0 0%
  • Green Goblin (Harry Osborn)

7 35.00%
  • Mindworm

1 5.00%
  • Grizzly

1 5.00%
  • Cyclone

0 0%
  • Man-Killer

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Default Favorite Gerry Conway villain - ASM

Everybody holds up Stan Lee's villains (co-created with various combinations of Ditko, Romita, and John Buscema) as the ne plus ultra of Spider-foes, but his successor (barring a couple issues of Roy Thomas) certainly made some long-lasting contributions to Spider-Man's rogues gallery, as well. So, starting from Conway's first run as Spider-scripter, from Amazing Spider-Man #111 to #149 (plus some issues of Marvel Team-Up), what's your favorite Gerry Conway villain?

Hammerhead - left dying in an alley, this two-bit hood gained a steel skull and an appreciation for old-timey villainy!

Jonas Harrow - this back-alley super-surgeon is the man behind villains like Hammerhead, Kangaroo, and...uh, Megawatt?

Man-Wolf - thanks to a magic space-rock, J. Jonah Jameson's astronaut son John became a lethal lycanthrope!

Jackal - lovelorn biology professor Miles Warren perfected human cloning in his basement, so he started dressing up like an animal and fighting Spider-Man!

Tarantula - Delvadian mercenary Anton Rodriquez deals death via his poison-tipped pointy shoes!

Green Goblin - Harry Osborn took up his fallen father's mantle to battle his own best friend!

Mindworm - William Turner's mutant nature made him a psychic parasite!

Grizzly - disgraced pro wrestler Max Markham turned to crime wearing a mechanical bearskin rug!

Cyclone - disgruntled NATO engineer Andre Gerard used his wind-manipulating technology to move up in the ranks of the Maggia!

Man-Killer - her body broken by a careless man, Katrina van Horn swore revenge on all males!

Other - any big Clifton Shallot fans?

(I'll split out his villains from his second Spider-Man stint into a second poll, so hold on, Knight and Fogg fans.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Everybody holds up Stan Lee's villains (co-created with various combinations of Ditko, Romita, and John Buscema) as the ne plus ultra of Spider-foes, but his successor (barring a couple issues of Roy Thomas) certainly made some long-lasting contributions to Spider-Man's rogues gallery, as well. So, starting from Conway's first run as Spider-scripter, from Amazing Spider-Man #111 to #149 (plus some issues of Marvel Team-Up), what's your favorite Gerry Conway villain?

Hammerhead - left dying in an alley, this two-bit hood gained a steel skull and an appreciation for old-timey villainy!

Jonas Harrow - this back-alley super-surgeon is the man behind villains like Hammerhead, Kangaroo, and...uh, Megawatt?

Man-Wolf - thanks to a magic space-rock, J. Jonah Jameson's astronaut son John became a lethal lycanthrope!

Jackal - lovelorn biology professor Miles Warren perfected human cloning in his basement, so he started dressing up like an animal and fighting Spider-Man!

Tarantula - Delvadian mercenary Anton Rodriquez deals death via his poison-tipped pointy shoes!

Green Goblin - Harry Osborn took up his fallen father's mantle to battle his own best friend!

Mindworm - William Turner's mutant nature made him a psychic parasite!

Grizzly - disgraced pro wrestler Max Markham turned to crime wearing a mechanical bearskin rug!

Cyclone - disgruntled NATO engineer Andre Gerard used his wind-manipulating technology to move up in the ranks of the Maggia!

Man-Killer - her body broken by a careless man, Katrina van Horn swore revenge on all males!

Other - any big Clifton Shallot fans?

(I'll split out his villains from his second Spider-Man stint into a second poll, so hold on, Knight and Fogg fans.)
    Shouldn't we include the Punisher? I know he's not technically a villain but still he is arguably Conway's greatest creation.

I've always had a soft-spot for Hammerhead, but Jackal's, for better or worse, definitely had a sizeable impact on the franchise the likes of which few other villains can top even if he's never broken into Spidey's A-list trinity (Goblin, Ock, Venom).

And Harry's saga as the Goblin is also a very iconic and major part of the mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Shouldn't we include the Punisher? I know he's not technically a villain but still he is arguably Conway's greatest creation.
    Yeah, I should have had a note there - while the Punisher started out as a Spider-Man villain, he wasn't really one for long, and he certainly isn't considered one anymore by the vast majority of comics readers. It'd be like putting Wolverine on a list of Hulk villains.

BANNED

I would go with hammerhead expect he just seemed like the rhino without the bulk and super strength. so it has to be jackal but I also love the man wolf but he also seemed too similar to Harry Osborn in some aspects.

Astonishing Member

My favorite is Hammerhead.
    A great villain imo,the old school gangster vibe the character have is quite interesting.Plus considerating that the majority of the first main villains of Spider-Man are Crime Bosses (Big Man,Green Goblin,Kingpin) makes Hammerhead a cool villain.
    In terms of powers the upgrade this character had in Brand New Day just made this villain a more powerful villain to Spider-Man.
    Harry Osborn as Green Goblin is quite cool as well,since it is a very interesting story to have Peter Parker best friend taking up the mantle of Green Goblin.
    Jonas Harrow is a villain i find interesting as well,but have been used in just few stories.I think he is a cool villain because he was part of the origin of villains as Hammerhead and Will O-The Wisp.He is a bit similar to the Tinkerer but more the mad scientist type that the Tinkerer.Was cool to see him in the New Avengers series.
    Tarantula is not the strongest villain of Spider-Man by far,but even so i like his costume and is a cool villain.Just not a a big villain.More like a B list villain.
    I like the powers and costume of Cyclone as well,but this villain have powers to much similar to Whirlwind,a villain created years before Cyclone.

BANNED

I voted for Jackal, just because he's definitely the Conway villain who's had the most impact (unless you count Punisher as a "villain" as some might).

That said, it's hard for me to pick a true "favorite" as I really love so many villains created by Conway. His era is when I started reading ASM so I'll always have a special affection for it. I had the Power Records dramatization of the Man Wolf issues and I played that endlessly on my turntable while reading along and the first contemporary ASM issue I ever had (as opposed to a Marvel Tales reprint) was ASM #140 with The Grizzly and The Jackal.

I have to say, I don't know if any other writer besides Stan added so many long lasting additions to Spidey's rogue gallery as Conway.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

Hammerhead was always the most fun. I hate that he's a generic Terminator rip-off now.

Grizzly is another fun bad guy, but I like him best as an anti-hero/merc.

I like the Jackal because he's completely bat-doody insane, and he had arguably the biggest impact on Spider-Man with all the clone nonsense.

As for Harry, although Conway was the first to really show him going off the rails, it was J.M. DeMatteis who wrote him best.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

The Jackal
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

I like the idea of the Jackal, the concept, but think it has been used astonishingly terrible by most writers.

I could not care less if any of the others existed or not.

Harry wins this one.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It's a toss up between Hammerhead and Tombstone.

Okay, what wiseguy voted for Mindworm?

I almost voted for Mindworm. But nah...

Went with Harry. Even though Conway's stories about Harry's turn weren't fantastic, I felt that doing that with the character has yielded the best results.

Miles was a close second. Just not a fan of the Jackal, thats they only reason.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I couldn't not vote on Harry. He and Kingsley were the only good heirs of Norman's legacy.