Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Damsels in Excess, #1

Five realms. Five princesses. Zero men.
    In the land of the Five Realms, the existence of men has long since been evaporated from the hearts and minds of women. Princess Bethany--ruler of Evanfar, the largest and most prominent kingdom, finds herself at the center of a vast conspiracy that could not only threaten her kingdom-but also her life! Journey to a place where magic is abundant, unicorns and ferrets can command armies, and five women struggle to find balance-and power--in an ever-changing fairy tale world!
    Creator Vince Hernandez and artist Mirka Andolfo present to you the newest Aspen hit series - DAMSELS IN EXCESS!

Full article here.

BANNED

did anyone read the FCBD preview of this?

I didn't.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if this is actually going to have an engaging story or just continue with the almost-comedy theme?

BANNED

This kind of quality, respectable storytelling was the last thing I expected from this book.

This is going to be the Emma Frost solo series again: a comic far too good for its covers.

In fact, I don't understand why Aspen isn't marketing this like a feminist book. People would then place it alongside things like Rat Queens and Lumberjanes, like they ought to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhater View Post
    This kind of quality, respectable storytelling was the last thing I expected from this book.

This is going to be the Emma Frost solo series again: a comic far too good for its covers.

In fact, I don't understand why Aspen isn't marketing this like a feminist book. People would then place it alongside things like Rat Queens and Lumberjanes, like they ought to.
    because Aspen is stupid...ever seen the aspen website? it's like one giant eyesore and the message board is filled with people trying to give you viruses in European Languages

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Wow, what people do on there forums is not there fault first off, and while I have not read anything from Aspen saying they are stupid is really well, unneeded.

They are a smaller indie company so they may not have the money to pay for a great web designer. But I looked at it, the layout, while basic, is not that bad.

As far as this series goes the art (inside) seems nice enough, and Aspen is known for there umm sex appeal more so the Zenescope (in my view), so I would expected them to make covers like that.

But if they have it at my store (they carry most Aspen titles) I will read it and check it out. I judged Zenescope based on there covers for a long time, and found they can tell good stories, so why not Aspen?
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 07-08-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Might have to check this out. I am a fan of Zenescope despite their reputation regarding their covers mostly, the stories are pretty good and this really reminds me of that type of book. Might see what it has to offer.

KateFinn

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhater View Post

A lot of folks are afraid to market things as feminist because they are afraid of alienating their fanbase. For indy companies, I don't blame them.

Also, Rat Queens did not set out to be a "feminist" comic. It wasn't marketed as a feminist comic. The people who read it labeled it as such.

"It’s also managed to be popular with women, and I think it’s because we didn’t go out to make a comic that catered to women. I suppose that might have been the assumption because we made the characters all women, but I think that audience wants what anyone wants; characters that have a voice and are equally flawed as they are strong. We also don’t pull any punches. These ladies live in a brutally violent world, so they express their life in similar terms. They get roughed up while they kill enemies, they swear like sailors because that’s the type of world they live in and they make no qualms about getting wasted and causing a scene because they are 20 year olds.” Newasrama.com 2/07/14"

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The label follows the creation. I'm just glad I haven't seen the creators of Rat Queens shy away from being called a feminist comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Wow, what people do on there forums is not there fault first off, and while I have not read anything from Aspen saying they are stupid is really well, unneeded.

They are a smaller indie company so they may not have the money to pay for a great web designer. But I looked at it, the layout, while basic, is not that bad.

As far as this series goes the art (inside) seems nice enough, and Aspen is known for there umm sex appeal more so the Zenescope (in my view), so I would expected them to make covers like that.

But if they have it at my store (they carry most Aspen titles) I will read it and check it out. I judged Zenescope based on there covers for a long time, and found they can tell good stories, so why not Aspen?
    I'm just saying you shouldn't let hackers run wild on the website causing mayhem to the site and peoples computers but hey Aspen doesn't have many ongoing titles and nor do they have much of a consistent quality about them across the board that you can discover from word of mouth(where as you can ask around about zenescope...Aspen's a little harder to find opinions on)

I'm not outright saying they are terrible people or anything like that(I was at one point vaguely intrigued by charismagic but never got much feedback online about that book)but you can't expect fans to do all the heavy lifting especially when aspen themselves seem to be a much smaller zenescope

the only difference being that while zenescope has dozens of books and mini's to it's name with fans now knowing just who the good and bad writers are.... Aspen has a smaller cast to shift through plus they don't seem to have much of a theme about them unless there's one that i just can't find(the sexy cover theme doesn't qualify as a theme....Zenescope has Grimm Fairy Tales i can't pinpoint what connects the aspen titles together)

people are free to read Aspen and give it a try but I'd suggest downloading the aspen FCBD issue from this years FCBD on Comixology that has a sneak preview of this book if you are interested

it might not be much but it's the only taste you get for now to think on if You'll like it

i apologize if my tone about aspen seemed a little off but aside from Charismagic I've never been temped to read them and anytime i try to discuss them it's almost like i was speaking another Language

all i can get from people is that they used to be pretty good before Michael Turner Passed away
    Last edited by Chrysalis_Changling; 07-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Type View Post
    I didn't.

I'm just wondering, does anyone know if this is actually going to have an engaging story or just continue with the almost-comedy theme?
    i see it being a mix of action/comedy judging from what's been shown off so far

More like Aspen doesn't have any ongoing titles. Executive Assistant Assassins was the closest and that ran for 18 issues. Everything is all mini series. I've collected a good chunk of the Soulfire backlog, but threw in the towel three issues into Vol. 5. I would have stuck with it if it was a monthly title instead of a 7-8 issue mini every 16 or so months. Charismagic Vol. 2 was pretty good and I'll buy the next volume of that. I'm currently reading Lola XOXO because of Siya Oum's lovely art. Read a few issues of Jirni Vol. 1 and that was pretty decent. Never gave Fathom much of a chance after it left Top Cow but I do own a lot of of the variants from various volumes. I did like the the preview of Damsels, but it's not something I see myself purchasing now.

If Soulfire or Fathom were monthly series, Aspen would probably be in the position Zenescope is in. A few ongoings to build fanbase and a shitload of minis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayne Japal View Post
    More like Aspen doesn't have any ongoing titles. Executive Assistant Assassins was the closest and that ran for 18 issues. Everything is all mini series. I've collected a good chunk of the Soulfire backlog, but threw in the towel three issues into Vol. 5. I would have stuck with it if it was a monthly title instead of a 7-8 issue mini every 16 or so months. Charismagic Vol. 2 was pretty good and I'll buy the next volume of that. I'm currently reading Lola XOXO because of Siya Oum's lovely art. Read a few issues of Jirni Vol. 1 and that was pretty decent. Never gave Fathom much of a chance after it left Top Cow but I do own a lot of of the variants from various volumes. I did like the the preview of Damsels, but it's not something I see myself purchasing now.

If Soulfire or Fathom were monthly series, Aspen would probably be in the position Zenescope is in. A few ongoings to build fanbase and a shitload of minis.
    So How can they survive as a publisher if they don't have any monthly books? hard to keep a stable fanbase when you barely put anything out on the shelves

All-New Member Cezar The Scribe's Avatar

damsels_in_excess_3_cover_c.jpg

(Issue #3)

Looks like a good series.

Why is this the only thread?

My LCS put the first few issues in the pile for me as I get a lot of Aspen stuff. I haven't read them yet. I will let you know.

Aspen's sales must not be that bad because they're still around and creating new titles and continuing others. Maybe ongoing titles don't work for them.