Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    God Body DIVINITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,186

    Default Wild storm #2 preview/discussion

    http://www.avclub.com/article/engine...clusive-251855

    Enter.... GRIFTER!

    Not much dialogue in the preview, (or Grifter) but the art tells the story just fine.
    Last edited by DIVINITY; 03-12-2017 at 09:08 PM.
    #MoiraXWasRight

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,828

    Default

    Without spoiling, this is easily the best thing in comics right now.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    I'm a little lost because I don't really know that much about Wildstorm, so I didn't recognize a lot of the characters, which I think is part of the fun LOL.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Panfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm a little lost because I don't really know that much about Wildstorm, so I didn't recognize a lot of the characters, which I think is part of the fun LOL.
    Same here, though I'm starting to piece everything together faster than I expected.

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,828

    Default

    The narrative is rather stripped down. I get the feeling that happened because it makes it pretty "New Reader" friendly while any older reader already has enough knowledge to just fall right in.

  6. #6
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    4,030

    Default

    Once again, Ellis is really taking its time with the story. The plot is moving at a snail pace but is compensated by the character work and worldbuilding that is included here, the best part is that most of the details are subtle, Ellis doesn't throw anything to your face but there are enough hints about where things are going to be invested in the read.

    Is not quite there yet but I'm intrigued so far.

  7. #7
    Sector 2814 poroto678's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    813

    Default

    World building must be the main goal here, and Ellis is delivering perfectly.
    This is awesome. Characters are cool, art is amazing, plot looks promising, pacing's quite good.
    This book and Super Sons are definitely my favorite books right now.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

    Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

  8. #8
    Blind Bastard Orujo-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    647

    Default

    Well, good issue. The series is starting to take a form and the pieces fall into place. Pretty much interested in the next issue, I felt a little disappointed with the first but now I have high hopes in this series.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 03-16-2017 at 03:33 AM.

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The narrative is rather stripped down. I get the feeling that happened because it makes it pretty "New Reader" friendly while any older reader already has enough knowledge to just fall right in.
    This exactly, Ellis wanted it that way so new readers wouldn't be instantly baffled upon first reading, thought this was a good issue, very decompresssed in parts but the characterisation of Grifter, and Deathblow especially make up for it in my opinion, really nice throwback to the original wildstorm under Jim Lee, but enough fresh about for the title to go in its own direction.

  10. #10

    Default

    There was the word "Majestic" when describing the secret IO base Engineer was using. Mister Majestic already known to the world/in-universe characters?
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    There was the word "Majestic" when describing the secret IO base Engineer was using. Mister Majestic already known to the world/in-universe characters?
    Maybe.

    - The only person we've seen use the word works for IO.
    - That base is a secret base.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member manduck37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    I didn't read the older Wildstorm stuff either but I jumped in with this series. Mainly because Ellis was writing it. I'm not having a hard time keeping up or following anything. So Ellis achieved his goal. I really like all the players involved in the story and that cool intrigue/conspiracy vibe. It's a slow burn, but I don't mind that with conspiracy stories. Plus there is a lot going on with a large cast. Really looking forward to more.

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I'm really enjoying this story! Here's some things I found particularly fun and/or interesting in #2:

    - Priscilla Kitaen is channeling some sort of Daemonite related angst into her music videos (produced by Lady Backlash Records), basically daring them to come after her.

    - International Operations may secretly run the world, but they don't spend any money on decoration. Their Manhattan underground base has a parking-garage-like look to it, and Miles Craven's tiny office seems to be tucked into a corner somewhere. It suggests that they're doing what they do for ideological reasons and not for money.

    - Meanwhile Michael Cray thinks that Marlowe should die because poor people will be hurt by the disruptions Halo's breakthroughs will cause. His specific argument against Halolife is "...if you put together super solar panels and home batteries to store the solar power, then rich folks go off the grid and utility companies stop serving towns where the majority of people aren't buying power, and poor people don't get to have electricity anymore."

    It's a surprisingly nuanced argument for a government assassin, but it doesn't work for me because he isn't taking into account the ability of government to cushion the shock to society. In this case the government could just give solar panels to poor people (instead of giving all that tax money to IO) and they could keep on using electricity. But then again, maybe Michael has seen too much and is too cynical to think that anyone in modern America would try to help the disadvantaged.

    - Henry Bendix!!!

    - Zealot (Lucy Blaze) just radiates disgust with her job. She's definitely going to jump ship soon.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    - Meanwhile Michael Cray thinks that Marlowe should die because poor people will be hurt by the disruptions Halo's breakthroughs will cause. His specific argument against Halolife is "...if you put together super solar panels and home batteries to store the solar power, then rich folks go off the grid and utility companies stop serving towns where the majority of people aren't buying power, and poor people don't get to have electricity anymore."

    It's a surprisingly nuanced argument for a government assassin, but it doesn't work for me because he isn't taking into account the ability of government to cushion the shock to society. In this case the government could just give solar panels to poor people (instead of giving all that tax money to IO) and they could keep on using electricity. But then again, maybe Michael has seen too much and is too cynical to think that anyone in modern America would try to help the disadvantaged.
    Lets not get crazy optimistic here

    As for the issue, I liked it, but it wouldn't hurt if it moved a bit faster since now it feels like whole first arc will be setting up things thats to come.

  15. #15
    God Body DIVINITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    It's a slow burn, but it's a good one.
    #MoiraXWasRight

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •