Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default All Star Batman #8 Preview(New Pages)

This looks great. So it looks like Duke is finally gonna get his hero name and will be working in the day. Cool though I like him next to Batman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Longest preview ever lol. I'm excited, as usual. Snyder & King are giving me just what I want. Good stuff and different stuff.

#9 is the end of this arc, so it will be interesting to see how this issue sets that up.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This looks great. So it looks like Duke is finally gonna get his hero name and will be working in the day. Cool though I like him next to Batman.
    Yeah, seems kind of...anticlimatic if this all just results in him working in the day time. I hope Snyder had a bigger story in mind for the character than that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    He didn't fill out the application. So that is up in the air and at least they acknowledge the WAR kids.

Interesting looking at those drawings-you see Superman, Bats, Robin, Supergirl, Flash, the GL symbol and was that Jean Gray (the woman with the v neck skirt) & Despero up there?

Astonishing Member

Jervis being more dapper and less ... costumed ... is a really nice change of pace. I was getting pretty bored of the giant green hat and poofy green everything else. Scary in a way, too. There's some great Hatter stories out there but it's not exactly common for them to be good. The last big Hatter story was what, him being a piece of Batman Eternal? That one was okay but his involvement was a little 'out of nowhere'. Not super surprising, but definitely sort of not the best plotted element of that story, though still a pretty decent showing. But the last few stories I remember before that ... were ... hmm, the Van Sciver Hatter story from The Dark Knight run, which was a bad story but did at least have some pretty art ... and before that? Jeez, I think the last good Hatter story I can remember was in Rucka's Detective Comics like a decade ago.

So yeah! Bring it on. And "one issue" in a road trip arc is ideal because Hatter is not a guy who really feels right getting multi-month arcs.

But the money here is that Duke back-up. Bringing Julie back in, having Izzy turn up, and having Vicki cameo really sells it for me. Getting back to that Superheavy stuff is a smart play. I'm sort of hoping Duke's costume keeps evolving and his current Yellow-Bat look is just sort of his "training outfit".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Pretty interesting the preview. Is nice to see Izzy and the mentions of the other characters of We Are Robin. Same as Julie. I want to see what happens with Mad Hatter.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Now THIS is what I was expecting from this book. Looks great!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Looks like Snyder's playing up Hatter's thing with hats rather then the Alice in Wonderland theme, but he still fits in an "Looking-glass" reference and Tetch's issue with differentiating from fiction and reality, so that might still play a part here.

I miss the green coat and flamboyant hat though...

Vicki! Julie! Nice to see both of Bruce's redhead love interests pop up here .

I thought it'd be years before we ever heard a peep from Vicki in the comics. I'm not surprised Snyder brought back Julie. Good to see him reference WAR with Izzy .

I also hope there's more to Duke being a unique hero then just operating during the day, maybe also doing social work along with Julie? At least he'll finally have a name and mission, so we can hopefully start moving on from him being Robin-lite.

BANNED

Batma hit that guy disguised as Nightwing with a Cyborg Flamingo... lol why such an awesome thing only happens in comics ?... I want to hit a guy with a cyborg flamingo too but it will never happen... Damn real world :/

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Batma hit that guy disguised as Nightwing with a Cyborg Flamingo... lol why such an awesome thing only happens in comics ?... I want to hit a guy with a cyborg flamingo too but it will never happen... Damn real world :/
    Well, you can always start off by buying yourself a cyborg flamingo. Baby steps.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Well, you can always start off by buying yourself a cyborg flamingo. Baby steps.
    Ha ha good one @ Batarang have you tried hitting a guy with a plastic or ceramic Famingo? Might be just as satisfying.

BANNED

Kinda meh about this, dont care about the art, setting, choice of villain or the basic story. Also dont care about Tetch being an employee or aquaintance of Bruce. Snyder had overused that trope.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Also don't care about Tetch being an employee or acquaintance of Bruce. Snyder had overused that trope.
    I agree with that, he has way overused that. Freeze, Riddler, Hatter are 3 I can think of. What's even more unacceptable about it is that other writers did it for New 52 origins for even other rogues like Poison Ivy.

Just a cheap stupid inaccurate way to try to force some ridiculous added connection to Bruce/Batman.

I'm to the point where I largely ignore origin stuff and keep old origins I have in my head. But I forget not everyone has learned to deal with it all like me.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-14-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Yeah and Dr Death too.