Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Johns had the better Avengers run
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah sorry I got carried away and went off tangent from what you were saying.

But basically yeah, the problem with Bendis's approach of just crapping on Matt Murdock is that it had already been done.
    No need to apologize. You're fine.

It seems long time DD readers are having different opinions on their approach. But I see your point.

As a writer of superhero comics? Johns, even if his books tend to be as simple as it can get. I personally enjoy Bendis' books more, though.

As an all-around writer? Bendis. Take Johns outside superheros and he's a very limited writer. Bendis, on the other hand, writes things like Torso or Fortune and Glory.

BANNED

John's. His work on Green Lantern alone would have probably put him up in an elite class of writers who defined a character. But when you factor in what he did for JSA, his Teen Titan run, him probably being the creator most associated with Wally West's Flash after Waid, being the writer who revitalized Aquaman, being one of the architects of the 52 series, it's sort of a no brainer for me at least.

Even his worst stuff I still find readable if too simple in scope.

For me it's not contest. Johns is a MUCH, MUCH better writer. Bendis just doesn't do it for me at all.

Isn't this like comparing a kick in the groin to a punch in the groin?
    It's weird as both can be gawd aweful but give them something new or underdeveloped they'll make wonders.
    Bendis for me has little grip on reality while Johns brings in immaturity to the table.
    Last edited by Blackfist; 07-08-2014 at 12:34 PM.

BANNED

I have never read a Geoff Johns comic and felt satisfied.

I have read many Brian Michael Bendis comics and felt satisfied; some others, not so much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post

Bendis Daredevil is good but it didn't change much. When Frank Miller got Daredevil he changed the titled. Bendis run could never had happened if it weren't for Frank Miller.
    I'd say outing DD was a fairly significant change..as well as becoming 'Kingpin' of Hell's Kitchen.
    For me, Bendis' DD is BETTER than Miller's. It really is that damn good.

Bendis is horrible. His pacing is too slow and his plot is usually very bad. Add the fact that he doesn't really care about continuity and you get the worst writer!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This is in the DC forum so you should realize more people are going to say Geoff Johns.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Bendis is horrible. His pacing is too slow and his plot is usually very bad. Add the fact that he doesn't really care about continuity and you get the worst writer!
    I love that Bendis doesn't care about continuity. Johns doesn't either, but he spends more time retconing stories that I don't remember or care about. I did not need to know how old Arisia was when she dated Hal Jordan.

Bendis did Powers and he never wrote a story as petty and sad as Countdown to Infinite Crisis. I was never much of an Avengers fan growing up and I like Luke Cage so seeing him as the leader was pretty cool. Shame Secret Invasion was boring but at least it wasn't Infinite Crisis.

So yeah, Bendis > Johns to me.

BANNED

Johns by far.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    As a writer of superhero comics? Johns, even if his books tend to be as simple as it can get. I personally enjoy Bendis' books more, though.

As an all-around writer? Bendis. Take Johns outside superheros and he's a very limited writer. Bendis, on the other hand, writes things like Torso or Fortune and Glory.
    thats pretty much because johns whole reason for ever getting into writing was superheroes. kind of limited motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is in the DC forum so you should realize more people are going to say Geoff Johns.
    i was under the impression johns was way more despised among DC fans these days than Bendis is among marvel (scarlet witch/classic avengers/wolverine fans aside)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfist View Post
    Bendis for me has little grip on reality while bendis brings in immaturity to the table.
    which one is which?

personally, bendis' dialogue annoys me somehow; and even if he never fully delivers, i like john's worldbuilding more

that said; these days you can practically feel some of the resignation in johns stuff outside the stuff he's really into, like he knows not only is his best behind him, but none of it will ever actually stick in the way the guys before or after him will; with most of his stuff already reversed; while bendis is on a roll and his stuff is effectively the paradigm

Johns, hands down. I'm not a fan of everything Johns does. Didn't like his Flash post-rebirth, Flashpoint was, IMHO, kind of meh, his current Justice League work runs hot and cold with me, and I really hated his Teen Titans. However, his Blackest Night is, for me, the best event of the last few years, absolutely love his entire JSA run (including when the book changed title), his Avengers was the last run on the book I truely enjoyed, and his Wally West Flash run, though not my favorite, is excelent. Hawkman, Aquaman, 52, Stars and Stripes, there is plenty of his work that I really enjoy. Though I'm not a fan of his occasional excessive gore, I do think he is one of the best comicbook writers in the industry nowadays. IMHO, he understands the tropes of the business, and isn't afraid to use them.

Bendis, on the other hand, is the exactly oposite in my book. He doesn't have an inkling of what works as a comic book writer and seems almost ashamed of being one. The guy actually seems to hate the industry he works in, and does his best to tear it down and rebuilt it into something he feels confortable working in. Unfortunately, I really hate this brave new industry of his and of Quesada and his other pals. I moderately liked his Ultimate Universe work. Not Only USM, but his work on other books also, what little I read. However, not a great fan of Spidey nor of the Ultimate Universe. Avengers was always my favorite Marvel book. Bendis actually drove me away from it. His X-Men is boring as hell. Also love the GotG, but Bendis envolvemente with it made me want to not even get close to it. And don't get me started on his "events". Hate his snappy diologue, abhor his pacing and don't find much originality in his ideas. Bendis name is enough to keep me away from any book, no matter how much I like the character.

So, Johns, hands down.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Johns has had some big fumbles with me in recent years, but I largely enjoy his writing.

Bendis? He practically singlehandedly drove me away from Marvel years ago. I honestly don't know if I'll EVER come back to Marvel's books. Bendis was a big contributor to this.

I've literally NEVER read a single Bendis book that I enjoyed. Johns has let me down a few times recently, but I'll take him over Bendis any day of the week.
    I'm gonna go with this, idk how people enjoy Bendis avengers i find it mind numbingly too much long drawned out dialogues.
    My own problem with Johns is how he writes batman other than that his one of my all time fav.