Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men movie continuity

Why is Fox so lazy to not have the continuity be consistent, They should feel ashamed for the confusing writing. Its like they don't care anymore.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

They tried in DoFP but still left confusing. Only thing they can do is reboot but they ain't doing that.

BANNED

My headcanon makes First Class a separate timeline from the original trilogy from the start. The continuity is a LOT less problematic that way.

paging Selina

Seriously, there are 17 years of movies roughly and Fox set the standard for modern comic book movies back with X-Men 1. The continuity started veering off the path when Singer left after X2. It's been a mess trying to fix the Ratner film (X3) ever since. If you notice, the box office hits are the movies that distance themselves from those movies such as Deadpool and Logan. Maybe DoFP is an exception, it wasn't too bad.

***WARNING - OPINION INCOMING***
    Personally I can't stand the X-Men movies, even the first one. They are all abominations to me because Singer strayed so far from the source material and refused to change despite fan outcry. He has screwed Rogue completely up since day 1 and more recently he screwed Apocalypse up unforgivably. The casting of certain characters is the only thing he got right with all these films and it's just a darn shame they weren't used better and up to their true potential.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

^

Apocalypse was more or less exactly like his comic counterpart. Everything about his characterization came from the books. Talked like him too.

Many people seem to have a vague memory on what he was like due to make not showing up for like 10 years.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-13-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Well, the continuity was horrible but consistent until The Wolverine; then Days of Future Past rewrote the timeline, and nothing before the First Class movie happened.

See, simple.

From 2017 Vanity Fair interview with Lauren Shuler Donner, producer of the films since 2000:

As comic-book obsessives scramble to try to make sense of the X-Men film’s confusing timeline, Shuler Donner reveals that effort—though noble—is something of a fool’s errand. In the grand tradition of decades of comic-book storytelling, the X-Men franchise has adopted a very loose approach to continuity. In other words, don’t worry about how Patrick Stewart’s Professor X evaporated in 2006’s The Last Stand, then was back in his body by 2013’s The Wolverine without much explanation.

“It wasn’t intentional,” Shuler Donner says of the franchise’s loose approach to continuity. “I always imagined we would hew very closely to the comics. Then we just ended up going on a different path. Subsequently, I read a very interesting interview with Joss Whedon—who I admire immensely—who said as long you’ve got the essence and are working within that world, it’s all right to go and do your own story. As long as we tell stories that are somewhat close to what we’re used to reading, I think it’s O.K.”

Whedon, famously, became frustrated when his obligations to the continuity of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe wound up weighing down Avengers: Age of Ultron with world-building for future Avengers outings. The X-Men franchise now finds itself free from those continuity constraints. Because Legion’s David Haller will never team up with Wolverine, the mutants can sink into different tones and genres in a way that Marvel can only do superficially

Face it, the continuity problems are never gonna go away. Fox has found a formula that works for them, and that formula is basically F*&^ continuity.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...nner-interview

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

They don't have one.

They don't need one.

They are doing ok without one.

First Class is where they started ignoring continuity yet people seem to let that go for some reason. It's one of the reasons I dislike the movie so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydnC95 View Post
    First Class is where they started ignoring continuity yet people seem to let that go for some reason. It's one of the reasons I dislike the movie so much.
    The only movie it really ignored was Origins. Which mind as well be non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by iacobusleo View Post
    From 2017 Vanity Fair interview with Lauren Shuler Donner, producer of the films since 2000:

Face it, the continuity problems are never gonna go away. Fox has found a formula that works for them, and that formula is basically F*&^ continuity.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...nner-interview
    It seemed like saying that films shouldn't be too concerned about future films. That's problem Apocalypse suffered from with the Weapon X scene.

The easiest way for me is I've seen it as two distinct timelines:

X-Men Origins -> X-Men -> X2 -> X-Men III -> The Wolverine -> Days Of Future Past (Future)

First Class -> Days Of Future Past (Past) -> Apocalypse -> Deadpool -> Days Of Future Past (Good Future) -> Logan

There's of course so many problems for each film, like how First Class should technically be in the original timeline since that was before the timeline was effected, even though there's so many inconsistencies from that film. And also Logan makes references to X-Men Origins, X-Men, and The Wolverine, so that becomes a weird outlier too. Either way, this set up is what, to me at least, makes the most sense.

It's been a while since I've watched the X-Men movies in a row. I've sort of put it off because of continuity. When it was just the first trilogy it was easy enough, even adding Origins (which I would probably skip now anyways) did not contradict anything or not much. Then you had the first big contradiction with First Class and Emma, but even with that and Wolverine you could watch them all in a row except Origins with no problem: FC, X1, X2, X3, Wolverine. Then you add DOFP and it gets muddled and the same with Apocalypse and now Logan.

Is it FC, Origins, DOFP, Apocalypse, X1, X2, X3, Deadpool, Wolverine, Logan? DOFP wipes out part of X1 X2 and X3 though. deadpool with Colossus must fit in somewhere around X2 and X3, though maybe further down the line except down that line no longer exists... Wolverine clearly references X3 as does DOFP but then again, it also makes it so nothing happens, fixing a lot of errors but causing more.

In all honestly, I don't even know anymore. DOFP is probably my favorite X-man movie but it caused a lot of series order problems. It was probably better rated as a standalone or a epilogue than anything else (though now Logan is that.)

Ugh. and we have Deadpool 2, New Mutants, possibly X-Force and then "Supernova".

Possibly the order should be based on story not time line: FC, Origins, X1, X2, X3, Wolverine, Deadpool (which could be either new or old continuity), DOFP Apocalypse and Logan. But wait...X1 SHOULD come in between Apocalypse and DOFP still. I feel like in order to keep track of it you have to watch some of the movies twice.

But wait....shouldn't DOFP come before Origins bc of the Weapon X Placement? What about the Jubilee continuity? OMG. Fox what have you done....love the movies HATE the continuity, they are messier than any other movie series I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    The easiest way for me is I've seen it as two distinct timelines:

X-Men Origins -> X-Men -> X2 -> X-Men III -> The Wolverine -> Days Of Future Past (Future)

First Class -> Days Of Future Past (Past) -> Apocalypse -> Deadpool -> Days Of Future Past (Good Future) -> Logan

There's of course so many problems for each film, like how First Class should technically be in the original timeline since that was before the timeline was effected, even though there's so many inconsistencies from that film. And also Logan makes references to X-Men Origins, X-Men, and The Wolverine, so that becomes a weird outlier too. Either way, this set up is what, to me at least, makes the most sense.
    I thinks it's best to consider Origins as non-canon since pretty much everyone ignores it. The adamantium bullet in Logan is not really a reference like Statue of Liberty and the Katana. And those two are not really inconsistencies.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-13-2017 at 02:52 PM.