Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spider-Man Max

Can we NOT make this another "let's all cry and whine about One More Day" thread? We already have more than enough of those.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Peter does not have to be vulgar and swear. In fact, this version of MAX could be different because the most vulgar thing to do with Peter would be to have him be successful, have a wife and children and still be spider-man. all of that is too much for spider-man fans and therefore the most vulgar spider-man and most vulgar MAX book to date.

Okay, pretty funny. (Where's the "like" button on this forum, anyways?)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Can we NOT make this another "let's all cry and whine about One More Day" thread? We already have more than enough of those.
    I'm willing to leave it off topic for this thread, but I actually not surprised that it comes up a lot. OMD is not popular with the fanbase. It's like old school Star Wars fans and the Ewoks and prequels; fans are going to whine about it. (And come one! That post was funny -- and one of the more clever "I don't like OMD" statements I've seen in a long time.)

BANNED

Peter does not have to be vulgar and swear. In fact, this version of MAX could be different because the most vulgar thing to do with Peter would be to have him be successful, have a wife and children and still be spider-man. all of that is too much for spider-man fans and therefore the most vulgar spider-man and most vulgar MAX book to date.
    Well i want to see Peter lay out a string of profanity because people say he is the most relateabke heo, yet he doesn't swear a ton when upset. I dont see why thats a big deal, or see explcit sex between him and mj. Hes an adult hero. He isnt always pg 13.

I doubt it. I don't want to see Spidey turned into Jessica Jones. hard drinking, swearing constantly, indiscriminate sex hookups.

But seriously-- I'm not sure where they could take a Spidey story in MAX that they couldn't simply do the PG-13 version in one of a Marvel Knights series, let's say. They've already done "Superior", where Ock-Spidey takes ruthless measures against bad guys and it brings spiraling consequences.

Other than the novelty of seeing longtime Spidey-culture character curse or be depicted semi-nude/nude, I don't automatically see the appeal.

On a cynical level, as some have pointed out in the past, it just takes one random underaged kid telling their parent to get them 'this comic' and the parent is outraged that a "spider-man" comic has (see above) involved, and it becomes a local news media story which becomes viral, and...

There are a few ways something like this could be interesting, either as side-adventures of the classic Spider-Man, or as a take on an alternate universe Spider-Man, but it'd be something for a writer to pitch rather than editors to seek out.

Promotion will be difficult, because Marvel wouldn't want kids buying regular issues of Spider-Man to go seek this out, either because it's referenced in the main books or because it's not clear that it's intended for another audience.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Promotion will be difficult, because Marvel wouldn't want kids buying regular issues of Spider-Man to go seek this out, either because it's referenced in the main books or because it's not clear that it's intended for another audience.
    To be honest, I don't think most of the main Spider-Man comics are for kids in the first place.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Haha. Wow. To be honest, it's really sad that I have to agree with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    To be honest, I don't think most of the main Spider-Man comics are for kids in the first place.
    There's a distinction between something people of all ages can enjoy (or maybe kids in middle school and older, as well as adults), and something that's really limited to an adult audience.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets