BANNED

Default Gen 13. Has it aged well?

I never had the luxury of reading the Gen 13 comic back in the day.

These days, has Gen 13 aged well or the stories kinda dull or whatever?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    I never had the luxury of reading the Gen 13 comic back in the day.

These days, has Gen 13 aged well or the stories kinda dull or whatever?
    I still love them, but they're very much a product of their time (the 90's) Gratuitous cheesecake was pretty common, but the art was good and the stories were fun and connected to the larger Wildstorm universe pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    I still love them, but they're very much a product of their time (the 90's) Gratuitous cheesecake was pretty common, but the art was good and the stories were fun and connected to the larger Wildstorm universe pretty well.
    I agree with TheManInBlack. If there was ever a run that needs an Absolute edition it's this. At least as much that had JSC art, and any Jim Lee.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Some aspects were always dodgy. Fairchild's butt being the main focus during her getting to know her father scenes in an early issue, etc.

Some points look better now than they probably did at the time, like it giving no leeway to domestic abuse at the same time Marvel was bending over backwards to tell us the X-Men should never, ever stop a man from beating his family if he does so outside of a supervillain costume. Or, Grunge, entirely, who was a quiet and absurd revolution in how Asian American characters were portrayed in comics.

And, then, it has its crappy runs and it's golden runs, like most long-running titles. The Adam Warren stuff is still great comics.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Some aspects were always dodgy. Fairchild's butt being the main focus during her getting to know her father scenes in an early issue, etc.

Some points look better now than they probably did at the time, like it giving no leeway to domestic abuse at the same time Marvel was bending over backwards to tell us the X-Men should never, ever stop a man from beating his family if he does so outside of a supervillain costume. Or, Grunge, entirely, who was a quiet and absurd revolution in how Asian American characters were portrayed in comics.

And, then, it has its crappy runs and it's golden runs, like most long-running titles. The Adam Warren stuff is still great comics.
    I'm sure I wasn't reading X-titles during this era. Which storyline did this occur?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm sure I wasn't reading X-titles during this era. Which storyline did this occur?
    It was during Hama's Wolverine, but it was apparently an editor's rewrite and Hama ends up "punishing" the father a few issues later, when he could. Wolverine catches the X-Men's neighbor in a confrontation with his family and is going to beat him up when the other X-Men stop him because, a) he's human and b) he's their neighbor and it's his family.

Not a shining moment in Marvel's history, but in line with their desire at the time to not cause any waves.

Honestly, I don't think the same era Gen X really looked that great in comparison, either. One of those books reads like there are teenagers in it. The other reads like adults being nostalgic about being young and playing it very safe. Generation X was really safe.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

I think it hasn't aged that well, it's very much a 90s series, lots of cheescake, which I don't mind, but not overly deep.
    On the other hand Campbell's art is a joy to look at, you can see him grow as an artist.
    Very negative are the Wildstorm Crossover tie-ins, which interrupt the early issues twice.
    While being a huge fan of the 90s in comics and Image in general, Gen 13 is something to read once in a while and while doing so looking back at the times when I was younger.
    For a new reader, with the tons of current great material, not recommendable.

For me it has not. It's so "90's" that the stink is hard to separate. I mean, they have a character named, "Grunge". Other than that, I can't remember what the book was about. Wait, I do remember that the redhead had impossibly long legs & an impressive rack.

I can't say that I have thought of this book in a long, long time. Don't miss it even a little.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    For me it has not. It's so "90's" that the stink is hard to separate. I mean, they have a character named, "Grunge". Other than that, I can't remember what the book was about. Wait, I do remember that the redhead had impossibly long legs & an impressive rack.

I can't say that I have thought of this book in a long, long time. Don't miss it even a little.
    First definition of "grunge" is grimy, shabby, dirty in character or condition.

Since when is Percival Chang NOT a slob?

Gen 13 is a classic comic of that age. JSC's art is still good IMO.