Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I love these scans! Thank you so much for sharing them! I would like to show a little love for my favorite reveal from Smallville. I still get chills watching it. There are a few things that are amazing about this to me. For background, on Smallville, Clark Kent started to save people in secret in Metropolis and was eventually coined the "Blur" (because of his speed and because at the time he was hiding his face.)

After many years of friendship and fighting attraction to each other, Lois and Clark wound up working next to each other at the Daily Planet. Once they were working in the same place, the sparks between them that they had fought for years started to become harder and harder to deny. (Seriously, imo, Smallville had the hottest Lois and Clark ever when it came to just pure simmering attraction that just bubbled under the surface until it exploded. It was so so satisfying to watch.) However, the Triangle For 2 still played out in a genius way. As Lois and Clark fought their attraction to each other at work, Clark found that he took solace in speaking to Lois as "The Blur" over the phone. Lois, in turn, found herself drawn to the selfless hero who was saving the city and longed to devote herself to helping him and doing good for the city with him. However, Lois made it clear that it was Clark Kent that she loved and the "Blur" that she admired. Still with me??? LOL In the meantime, Clark, as the Blur, found himself falling deeper and deeper in love with Lois because when he called her as the Blur she opened up to him in ways that she hid from him when he was Clark Kent. It was seriously the most brilliant way to ever establish the Triangle for 2 because it didn't throw either of them under the bus and they were both deeply sympathetic. Clark was trying to protect Lois and in THIS story it made complete sense why because literally everyone around him who had learned his secret had been hurt in some way and he didn't want that to happen to her. Lois, for her part, was intensely in love with Clark but he was openly pushing her away sometimes as Clark and more open with her as the Blur. So they were both intensely sympathetic and no one was the "bad guy" in this triangle.

Anyway, finally, in the Season 9 finale, Clark thought he was going to have to leave Earth forever to save both humans and the Krytonians. But, before he went to go sacrifice himself (in what turned out to be one of the BEST fights ever with General Zod in media) and die for humanity...he kissed Lois as the Blur. And she knew from his kiss that it was Clark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmAamxmX4s

Of course, Lois didn't tell Clark that she knew right away. She waited for him to tell HER when he was ready in what became one of the best and greatest "secret reveals" in all of Superman media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCqcyuWvH10
    Netflix should really get Smallville. I have to admit, at the time new episodes were airing, I didn't want to watch a show about a bunch of teenagers, and didn't like the whole "Clark before he was Superman" premise. I was kind of like "Why can't we get a show where Clark is an adult and also Superman?" (Hey, at least I'm consistent. ). My interest in the Superman mythos has grown, though, and I'd definitely watch it now if I could get it commercial free through Netflix at no additional charge. I've watched far worse stuff on Netflix. I also wish they'd get Superman: The New Adventures of Lois and Clark, which I did watch the first time around, but haven't seen in a while.

*Anyway*, I thought that second scene was pretty good. I like the angle of Lois figuring it out first. She's supposed to be this great investigative journalist. The New52 comics had her figure it out first, too.

A couple questions, though:

1. Did Clark Kent not wear glasses in Smallville? Or did he take them off just for that scene, kind of on some level wanting Lois to guess?

2. "The Blur"? No one told the producers that that's Marvel's name for their Flash-like speedster who's part of their Justice League analogue, the Squadron Supreme? Obviously, that was a show made by television writers who aren't big comic book fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Netflix should really get Smallville. I have to admit, at the time new episodes were airing, I didn't want to watch a show about a bunch of teenagers, and didn't like the whole "Clark before he was Superman" premise. I was kind of like "Why can't we get a show where Clark is an adult and also Superman?" (Hey, at least I'm consistent. ). My interest in the Superman mythos has grown, though, and I'd definitely watch it now if I could get it commercial free through Netflix at no additional charge. I've watched far worse stuff on Netflix. I also wish they'd get Superman: The New Adventures of Lois and Clark, which I did watch the first time around, but haven't seen in a while.

*Anyway*, I thought that second scene was pretty good. I like the angle of Lois figuring it out first. She's supposed to be this great investigative journalist. The New52 comics had her figure it out first, too.

A couple questions, though:

1. Did Clark Kent not wear glasses in Smallville? Or did he take them off just for that scene, kind of on some level wanting Lois to guess?

2. "The Blur"? No one told the producers that that's Marvel's name for their Flash-like speedster who's part of their Justice League analogue, the Squadron Supreme? Obviously, that was a show made by television writers who aren't big comic book fans.

Smallville is on Hulu. All 10 seasons. I strongly suggest seasons 8-10 as the show was very much a Superman show in everything but name.

Yes, Lois should know first but the point being made here is that that's not new or rare. Throughout the history of Superman, she has repeatedly been the only one to suspect the truth when no one else does. The Silver Age zaniness literally revolved around the idea that Lois suspected Clark was Superman and he has to go to extreme lengths to throw her off.

She also figures it out in Superman 2. In the Richard Donner cut she literally shoots him with a blank to prove that he's Superman. In the Lester cut, she jumps into Niagara Falls to prove it. The biggest lie in Superman history is that she wasn't "smart" enough to know. She literally always knows or at least suspects.

To answer your questions....

1. Clark does wear glasses on Smallville. He starts wearing them in the 10th season as he realizes that he needs to show his face as Superman so that people can trust him. He realizes, at that point, that if Superman will show his face then he needs to wear glasses and keel under the radar as Clark Kent. It's very well done and an excellent descriptor of why Superman doesn't wear a mask. Lois actually helps him with this though its ultimately his choice.

Lois had never seen the Blur's face. Only heard his voice.

2. Actually the writers were highly knowledgeable about comics as Smallville incorporated some truly brilliant Superman comics inspiration. Geoff Johns wrote episodes as did Bryan Q Miller---he was lead story editor. He started out as the "Red Blue Blur" then became "The Blur" is Season 9. They probably did know. Hope that helps!

BANNED

Supercrab, here is Lois's first phone call with The Red Blue Blur thus beginning Smallville's Triangle For 2. Lois wants an interview with The Red Blue Blur...and Clark gives it to her. This took place in an episode where Clark took a bullet for Lois while under the impact of GreenK so he was truly shot. Lois and Clark were falling in love by this point but holding things back out of fear. Clark see Lois's walls start to come down here...is stunned by her vulnerability .... and the triangle was born.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0lN-CH0GxPI

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Post Crisis: AC #662 (1990)

Haha, I just happened to re-read that issue just the other day.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Supercrab, here is Lois's first phone call with The Red Blue Blur thus beginning Smallville's Triangle For 2. Lois wants an interview with The Red Blue Blur...and Clark gives it to her. This took place in an episode where Clark took a bullet for Lois while under the impact of GreenK so he was truly shot. Lois and Clark were falling in love by this point but holding things back out of fear. Clark see Lois's walls start to come down here...is stunned by her vulnerability .... and the triangle was born.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0lN-CH0GxPI
    I just did a 10 season three month marathon of Smallville and it struck me just how well they pulled of the Lois and Clark relationship. They managed to reinvent the triangle for two aspect in a way that was true to the best past versions but did something completely different. The way they built their relationship over 7 seasons , first as sort of frenemies that first year, to reluctant friends, to friends to reluctant co workers to what we Know they become was , along with their depiction of Lex Luthor and his relationship with Clark and the origins of his hatred of Superman really just on the basis of those two things alone make Smallville worthy viewing for any Superman fan. Yes there were some bad episodes and wonky versions of characters, and it probably went on a bit too long, but overall, I think it really is the best live action television version of the Superman mythos so far.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.