Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Why New Attilan should NOT be a Democracy

So one of the things to come out of IvX is Medusa abdicating the throne of New Attilan giving governing control to Iso, who thought to bring democracy. Here are 3 reasons why they should not go through with this.

1) Attilan has tried Democracy. Ya I know we get that 1000s of years ago but no, they tried a full democracy 10 years ago Marvel time. It involves both Black Bolt, and his son Ahura both rejecting the throne (see: Fantastic four Unlimited Vol 1 #2). So what did these now free people do, constantly screw up, and have the Royals save them. Hell one time the city was almost taken over by a kree mercenary/pirate all for the point of selling the Inhumans to the Kree (see: Inhumans the great refuge Vol 1 #1).

2) It makes no sense. Really think about it, Medusa destroys the cloud, the people are upset with her since what it means for them, she listens and sees she can't lead them, she gives control to Iso, who now wants to give it to the people, the same people who are upset she ended the cloud, which means what do you think would happen if they had the power to decide the clouds fate.

3) It isn't needed. What I am trying to say for this is we have another fictional nation, who is/was run by a fair monarch, this being Wakanda. In the newest Black Panther books it seems to be leading to a democratic Wakanda. However just like how IvX earned this big sift through a year build up, Black Panther earned it though its own multi arc build up. So having 2 nations whose monarchies played a big role for so many years just to now lose it sucks, if we are going to need to lose need to lose one maybe it should be the one who was aiming for that conclusion.

Ok so who should be in charge it the end, well I say Ahura since right now he is the head of Ennilux, and as for New Attilan he has the birth right, he has his youth, and his powers can let him put a claim for Genocracy. The reason I think for this push would make more sense is because of the whole prophecy that still hasn't come yet where as many Inhumans if not all of them, but even if all the Inhumans came together what then. They sing Kumbaya, no it will be a battle and for a fight like this you don't need a bunch of top dogs head-butting each other for power, but if a leader came to the table with 2 nations this would give them more control which means plans would come smoother.

So what does everyone think.

Doesn't the Nuhumans come with this double edged sword? I'm just surprised it took them so long to abolish the monarchy. It never made sense why so many ex-humans would suddenly fall in line. This makes total sense given the influx of new thought and earth culture.

Uncanny Inhumans has played pretty strong with the thematics of cultural assimilation. The Inhumans are essentially refugees who quite literally fell from the sky onto American soil. The Terrigen was tantamount to their culture and with it gone, The Inhumans now face the threat of total annexation into humanity. A blunt metaphor, but interesting and timely nonetheless.
    My guess is that The Royals will ultimately discover a new means for Terrigenesis and that, eventually, New Attilan will be restored as a monarchy with BB and Medusa as its king and queen. In the time being, however, the earthbound Inhumans offer fertile soil for future stories to further address and explore themes of culture, assimilation and accommodation.

1. Stories justifying the status quo of an inherently unfair and dictatorial political system in no way means those systems deserve to be upheld. The reason democracy failed in Attilan before is because writers wanted the Royal Family back in power. If writers choose not to return to the Royal Family being in power? Democracy will work just fine in Attilan.

2. If Attilan had been a democracy that had to debate what to do about the cloud killing off mutants, we probably would've been able to get a legitimately interesting story, as opposed to the steaming pile of **** that IvX was. Would they have fought to defend the cloud if it meant mutants going extinct? Maybe, maybe not, we don't know and we never will know. Regardless, it would have been up to the people to decide the direction their species would go, rather than one woman unilaterally making a decision that affected the entire race.

3. This is the most valid point you raise. For my part, I just dislike romanticizing monarchy. Historically, monarchies seldom benefited the majority of citizens. They benefited a small number of people, with the majority of people just hoping they didn't get screwed over too much. Maximus, during his periods as king, was a far, far more realistic monarch than Black Bolt or Medusa have ever been. So I'm as in favour of tearing down fictional monarchies as I am real monarchies.

I'm just curious, what with Doom abdicating and Wakanda apparently becoming a Republic as well, did Namor just go back to business as usual of ruling Atlantis after Hyperion brought him back to life?

I used to joke about it, but after IVX and re-reading Uncanny Inhumans and this new development, I have the nagging suspicion the writers are setting up an Iso/Ahura relationship (with a possible love triangle with Flint ).

Mainly because of the Ennilux connection - Ahura is the new head of this ancient Inhuman corporation while the previous leader uploaded his mental template into Iso so she could be "the successor" (he was going to take over her body, but the process was cut short). But also, these political changes where both become leaders. Add to that the solicits for Royals imply Flint is getting a major development (becoming the most powerful Inhuman) and Maximus's discovery of the old Terrigen crystals' formula and you have the ingredients to concoct a good tale with intrigue, romance and twists.

It is that why I incline to agree with Doc Sonic here: there could be a great number of good, interesting stories coming out of all this (periods of political and social change are always interesting).

And like he says, they can always go back to being a monarchy later on. Albeit this time with a parliament or something?

P.D. I see Doc Sonic also speculated on the possibility of the Genetic Council returning and forming a political bloc in the new status quo opposed to the NuHumans. An idea I find really entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    yeah. I think it's a good opportunity for the Genetic Council to reform as an ultra-orthodox party that just overwhelms Iso's attempts to establish a democracy. It could be a cool sub-plot or backstory in the pages of The Royals.
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2659834

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
    It will be interesting to see how such an election might pan out. I'm not even sure how much of the population of New Attilan is composed of older Inhumans as opposed to newer Inhumans (or NuHumans). If the majority is of older Inhumans, I could see them electing some ultra-conservative type like Carthus or Avia, running on a platform of returning to the traditional orthodoxy of old Attilan (arranged marriages, eugenics, ec cetera).
    http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post2659373
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 03-14-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Niffleheim

Corporations are the new Democracy/Empire maybe Ennilux is the answer
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I agree with all the points you made Noek. Except I don't think Ahura should be king. First of all I don't think he is mentally stable enough to rule Attilan. Secondly the monarchy is not inherited it is elected. When the current monarch dies or resigns the genetic council elects a new king or queen from among them. Ahura is not even suppose to exist. By inhuman standards he is genetic filth.

Niffleheim

Maximus got rid of the Genetic Council so they no longer have any power but from a question I asked Soule about them last year it seem they will making an appearance
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

I really hope the genetic council returns. I always liked how the genetic council was like a parliament, and how the royal family's power was not absolute. Maybe now with Iso in charge the genetic council will return.

who has right to Vote ?. for example did Kamala has right to Vote, did NuHuman that choose not to Follow Attilan or citizen of other country like that inhuman dude from chinesse defence force has right to vote.

is it fair to do election now since Infinity many old Inhuman gone missing?
    Ayo Joni kita pantau para Fanatik di forum ini

Niffleheim

What the GC stands for and what Iso has gone through because of a body like GC/Ennilux due to her genes I don't think she will allow it and considering her country on child policies I dont see it being the Genetic Council of old. Maybe it's going to get revamped like the Serpent Society
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Revoirver2 View Post
    who has right to Vote ?. for example did Kamala has right to Vote, did NuHuman that choose not to Follow Attilan or citizen of other country like that inhuman dude from chinesse defence force has right to vote.

is it fair to do election now since Infinity many old Inhuman gone missing?
    I find it ridiculous that NuHumans have a voice this early in Attilan over the subjects themselves but hey its fiction lol! I guess Inhuman is change

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Doesn't the Nuhumans come with this double edged sword? I'm just surprised it took them so long to abolish the monarchy. It never made sense why so many ex-humans would suddenly fall in line. This makes total sense given the influx of new thought and earth culture.
    Well, in the case of the NuHumans, it's entirely voluntary. It's the equivalent of showing up to a brand new job and wondering why you can't democratically elect your boss. If they didn't want a ruler, they could always go home somewhere else.

That being said, I'm not overly concerned just yet. For starters, the comments were somewhat vague. It was "there's even talk of elections." Not "the Monarchy is being abolished and replaced with a purely representative Democracy." Second, Attilan's Monarchy was generally not an absolute ruler anyway. There were always checks on their power in certain areas. Finally, we're seemingly taking a break from Attilan. If it appears at all, it'll firmly be in guest appearance role where I doubt they'd delve into the nitty gritty of the politics.

Obviously, Uncanny Inhumans #20 or Inhumans: Prime could change things. I'll wait and see on that. But the comments were vague enough to allow them to strike the right balance and, even if they don't, there will be enough narrative distance to play around with it later.

BTW, I never thought of the Genetic Council as a legislature or Parliament or even representative body. To me, they seemed to be closer to a Priest caste that could interfere with the decisions of the Monarch in specific areas. But a completely changed Council or actual Parliament would be fine.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm just curious, what with Doom abdicating and Wakanda apparently becoming a Republic as well, did Namor just go back to business as usual of ruling Atlantis after Hyperion brought him back to life?
    Yep.

Until the next Solo anyway lol

Namors the last king or queen standing
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html