Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There are about 5 or 6 absolute monarchies left in the world. I can't see there's any real risk of romanticising monarchy by having fictional examples of monarchies led by people with vast superhuman powers in the Marvel Universe. No one's going to think, well, OK, Saudi Arabia's an amazingly well governed country, because they read a story about Black Bolt shouting at Thanos.

Of course, it is fair to say that the Marvel Universe generally suffers from the most appalling governance, although perhaps that is scarcely surprising in a Universe with alien invasions every five minutes, killer clouds, reality changing super Nazis, and actual Gods knocking around the place to ridicule the institutions of mainstream religion.

That said, Hickman's Avengers/Illuminati runs would have been very different without the monarchs - the whole conceit was that Black Bolt, Black Panther, and Namor made their decisions regarding the incursions as Kings - not as heroes. If we are stripping the monarchies out of the Marvel Universe, lets hope that their replacements offer as many storytelling possibilities.

Of course, I understand the current Black Panther run is regarded with universal acclaim and affection by the Black Panther fanbase, so no doubt they're all delighted by the move to Wakanda democracy and the many interesting stories it will engender
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 03-15-2017 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I find it ridiculous that NuHumans have a voice this early in Attilan over the subjects themselves but hey its fiction lol! I guess Inhuman is change
    why not, don't you want to see nuhuman and old inhuman view on this democracy thing.

even when they choose democracy I hope they can be like England where king or quen still exist.
    Ayo Joni kita pantau para Fanatik di forum ini

Mighty Member

I don't get why marvel is ending these monarchies. I mean, I'm assuming Wakanda was all coates, but doing it to the inhumans is strange. Even if you don't like monarchies and think they are bad, this is a fictional universe. You could easily have a monarchy that's in it for the good of it's people the same way a writer could make democracy bad. I think you could definitely add some democratic elements to these monarchies like the council of realms in Thor, but without a monarchy the Inhumans seem a lot less interesting. There whole appeal seemed to be game of thrones with super heroes.

Monarchy is the worst political system of all time. I think that's a pretty much good reason to end it.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I'm confused. I thought Wakanda was an absolute Monarchy but people have said it isn't. Every book with Black Panther in that I've read made it seem like he was the one calling the shots in the country.

Attilan was a constitutional monarchy. The genetic council ran society and superseded the monarch. The council was the major legislative, judicial and executive body.

The Genetic council has ruled before. They ended up corrupted on a couple occasions. They ended up hated by the average Inhuman citizen due to their rigid rulings and laws.

I think the problem with comic book royalty is writers write them as absolute monarchy when they are supposed to be like modern constitutional monarchies. They want the status and power of old fashioned monarchies and don't know how to write constitutional monarchs that are mostly symbolic and non-political.

I think the Inhumans should bring back the Genetic Council and have Black Bolt & Medusa be sitting members like Black Bolt's father was. This way you can have a elected government while also retaining the royals having a say in how Inhumans are run.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 03-15-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Maybe because Coates want to change Wakanda from Monarcy to Republic. what a shame, Monarchy Make Wakanda one of the Advance Civilization on MU, and because of the bless of Panther deity wakanda never get conquered
    Ayo Joni kita pantau para Fanatik di forum ini

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Monarchy is the worst political system of all time. I think that's a pretty much good reason to end it.
    Taking the law into your owns hands to punish criminals is pretty bad too. Doesn't mean I'm not going to read a Punisher comic.

Democracy makes the Inhumans less fantastical and that's not what I want but we can bring the monarchy back without bringing Kang Junior into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    What the GC stands for and what Iso has gone through because of a body like GC/Ennilux because of here genes I don't think she will allow it and considering her country's on child policy I dont see it being the Genetic Council of old. Maybe it's going to get revamped like the Serpent Society
    I realize that. I didn't mean she would bring back the genetics council, I meant that the genetics council would see this as an opportunity to forcefully come back.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

They've been a democracy before, it's not like this will last, they never do. They always require the Royal family to save them.

Monarchies are pretty rough in the real world, but can be a lot of fun in a fictional world. Having New Attilan transform into some idilic democratic state would make for a rather boring story. The Inhumans are fun and interesting because of all their flaws as a people, not despite them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post
    Taking the law into your owns hands to punish criminals is pretty bad too. Doesn't mean I'm not going to read a Punisher comic.
    Well that's your opinion. I questionned myself many times about having someone like Punisher being more effective than the police. At least, he would not take 90% of his time to get hidden taxes from speed limit and everything else.

But I get your point. I just won't respect or find interesting any society who has a Monarchy. Blood doesn't equal talent and good values.
    Last edited by Magneto; 03-15-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Of course, I understand the current Black Panther run is regarded with universal acclaim and affection by the Black Panther fanbase, so no doubt they're all delighted by the move to Wakanda democracy and the many interesting stories it will engender
    Say what you will with Coates's story, but at least there are eleven stories setting it up. This was out of left field in IvX (not even the main book).

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I'm confused. I thought Wakanda was an absolute Monarchy but people have said it isn't. Every book with Black Panther in that I've read made it seem like he was the one calling the shots in the country.
    Priest's run showed a Parliament. Unfortunately, T'Challa abolished it. We haven't seen anything after that indicating checks on royal authority.

Attilan was a constitutional monarchy. The genetic council ran society and superseded the monarch. The council was the major legislative, judicial and executive body.
    I'm not convinced the evidence supports there's any representative quality from the Genetic Council. They came off more as a Priest cult. They also seem to be a bit narrower - specifically related to rights of reproduction and Terrigenesis, not related to everything. I'm basing this primarily on By Right of Birth, though, if there's something that contradicts my impression.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Say what you will with Coates's story, but at least there are eleven stories setting it up. This was out of left field in IvX (not even the main book).
    No doubt. To be honest, I haven't read the Black Panther run and can make no judgements. I'm just familiar with the less than ecstatic reaction from the fanbase I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale on Comixology and see for myself...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think it'll read better all at once than monthly since I don't think it's well-paced.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?