Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Just because the worship equals power idea occasionally pops back up doesn't mean it holds true across the board. It was an issue that gained a lot of popularity in the nineties but has declined somewhat since.
    Nope again Chaos war was an event and that incredible Hercules storyline spanned two years minimum. Also secret invasion that issue about the skull gods . And Mephisto mentioned it as well in that issue about the true Satan if I remember correctly although demons trade mostly in souls which faith is derived off.

can't remember if it's secret invasion of chaos war but the issue is about Thor faith and what happens when a God has no one to pray to them

And then there's mojo who derives his power off Facebook likes

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Nope again Chaos war was an event and that incredible Hercules storyline spanned two years minimum. Also secret invasion that issue about the skull gods . And Mephisto mentioned it as well in that issue about the true Satan if I remember correctly although demons trade mostly in souls which faith is derived off.

can't remember if it's secret invasion of chaos war but the issue is about Thor faith and what happens when a God has no one to pray to them

And then there's mojo who derives his power off Facebook likes
    You say 'nope' as if any of this disproves my theory that Aaron doesn't agree with this. There is no mandate that says worship equals power at Marvel because how would that even apply when the Greek and Norse pantheons are hardly worshipped at all. And writers have more interpretative power than this at Marvel.

Sure Thor has a bit of a proviso in that he is followed as an icon, same might be said for Herc, but most of the others are not. The equation is seriously flawed as an explanation of god's power in the MU. I am sure perceptions of deities and contemporary mores will have an effect on the deities but not a simple equation for power. The idea has been explored with much more nuance in Thor comics.

BANNED

Wow. Another spectacular, splendid, absolutely beautiful, awe-inspiring issue.

And to think at one time I wondered if Aaron's Thor run would be in trouble once Ribic left the book. Holy God, is Dauterman a beast! Just one stunning page after another. And this current Asgard/Shi'Ar War storyline is so huge it leaves me wondering what could possible come after it. May Aaron never leave this book!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Wow. Another spectacular, splendid, absolutely beautiful, awe-inspiring issue.

And to think at one time I wondered if Aaron's Thor run would be in trouble once Ribic left the book. Holy God, is Dauterman a beast! Just one stunning page after another. And this current Asgard/Shi'Ar War storyline is so huge it leaves me wondering what could possible come after it. May Aaron never leave this book!
    I do feel that Aaron is very good at building relationships with his artists. I find it difficult to believe we would have quite the same book if Ribic was still on this. I still much prefer Ribic, but for these stories Dauterman is magnificent, and improving with every arc.

I do feel that Aaron is very good at building relationships with his artists. I find it difficult to believe we would have quite the same book if Ribic was still on this. I still much prefer Ribic, but for these stories Dauterman is magnificent, and improving with every arc.
    I could see Esad Ribic rejoining Aaron on an "Ultimate Thor" title for Odinson.

BANNED

I was intially wary of the book with Ribic was gone. The book's Epic Fantasy Novel Cover and Mythic Narration style fell totally flacid when Garney stepped in. Aaron's storytelling style has shifted to be more like a modernization of Walt Simonson(thought bubbles! Sub-plots building between issues and stories! The large cast of fantasy characters that create a huge tapestry of interesting moments that bubble up every now and again!), so its more of a traditional Marvel comic, but dense in its attention to character and story in a way few modern Marvel books are. And Russell Dautermann and his colorist/inkers have been absolutely incredible. Not just somebody who makes conventionally attractive pictures, but his storytelling skills are incredible. His body language and framing is always so in sync with Aaron's scripts. He sells the scale and power of the big moments, but he makes it all a peace of the whole in how he nails the little moments. Just the attention to detail is hilarious. I was re-reading the SHIELD/Agger arc, and I love all the details Dautermann keeps consistent from panel to panel, page to page, issue to issue, forming a sense of continuity and coherency.

In issue #10, there's a crack on the hinge of the safe where logically Silver Samurai's body flew towards. Obiliette's hair gets singed by the lightning, causing her formerly perfectly held strands of hair to fray. Roz Solomon gets shot in the left shoulder with a golden bullet. There's a bloody trail of footsteps coming from Dario Agger's tortured human body before he transformed. All these details are carried forward in issue #11, creating a real sense of continuity between month to month.

I love the little "CLK" sound effect placement coming in with the little gun, just cuz it flows perfectly in how we read the page, in how it connects that panel to the next, in how it displays how small but defiant Roz is in arresting Dario despite how towering figure. I love how he tilts the panels when the environment shakes when Dario transforms, or when the entire floating island starts crashing into NYC, which makes the Jane-on-Jane surgery in the center really stand out. And again note the little bullethole/blood he keeps drawing on Roz or the bloody foot steps to give a sense of geography about the room.

I'm convinced its Marvel's best book. Its a rare combo of Aaron finding a perfect tone for his many ideas and love of the Marvel Universe with a great art team that's completely in sync with his ideas on every page.

Been really enjoying this series. Every so often it gets a little quiet, and I wonder if it's about to lose it's steam, then it grabs me again. Between this and Unworthy Thor I've been really happy in general.

You say 'nope' as if any of this disproves my theory that Aaron doesn't agree with this. There is no mandate that says worship equals power at Marvel because how would that even apply when the Greek and Norse pantheons are hardly worshipped at all. And writers have more interpretative power than this at Marvel.

Sure Thor has a bit of a proviso in that he is followed as an icon, same might be said for Herc, but most of the others are not. The equation is seriously flawed as an explanation of god's power in the MU. I am sure perceptions of deities and contemporary mores will have an effect on the deities but not a simple equation for power. The idea has been explored with much more nuance in Thor comics.
    Nope i say nope because it wasn't just a 90s thing it was rampant during the last decade

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Nope i say nope because it wasn't just a 90s thing it was rampant during the last decade
    I see a distinct decline in the concept since then, and in Thor comics I see entirely different approaches being explored throughout the decades. Thor is occasionally shown as a character that is prayed to or worshipped but normally the concept is used to explore faith and contrast him to Christ. This has been part of the character for decades, and indeed due to the way the eddas were presented from a Christianised perspective and the other scraps of folklore have been passed to us through Christian hands, this has always been a part of the identity of Thor. Sometimes this works for me sometimes it feels forced.

Personally I don't like the Kirby and Lee retcon, when they used the medieval Christian model to reshape Thor and move away from the dual personality model, so I am pretty much an outsider when it comes to Thor appreciation. But that means I love Jane/Thor because it pulls us right back to the original concepts. There have been some interesting examinations of Thor as Christ analogy. Personally I liked the late Jurgens treatment of this, and the subtle twist that Oeming put on the idea in his Disassembled story. I also like the way The Saga of Beta Ray Bill examined traditional Thor iconography and worship.

After reading this, it seems like Thor should have been able to handle Monsters Unleashed by herself. Stars being immensely larger than planets, being able to stop the supernova comet means that she could have stopped the Leviathon Mother cold in space.

So...It is confirmed the Mother Storm "myth" of Mjolnir's creation is canon. So again I must visit the issue of worthiness and the true nature of Odin's enchantment on the hammer. The previews for Unworthy Thor this week are really teasing us about what Fury whispered...Maybe there will be some sense made between the mother Storm and Unworthy Thor (though not for long!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    It's true that prayer has been equated to power but if we use that as a benchmark, Thor would be buttslapping Celestials
    Who worships Thor? Surely not the general public? To most he's seen as a long lived alien rather than a god to be worshiped.

Funny how the empire as advanced as they are, still consider these 2 as god's rather than just extremely powerful beings.

And what about the empire's other gods? There are numerous world's under the thrall of gladiator, don't they have their own gods?

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Who worships Thor? Surely not the general public? To most he's seen as a long lived alien rather than a god to be worshiped.
    It was shown and indicated in Thor: God of Thunder, that there are others world who worship Thor for the deeds and help he has brought to them.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    It was shown and indicated in Thor: God of Thunder, that there are others world who worship Thor for the deeds and help he has brought to them.
    Which if the events of Infinity are still at all in canon, would likely include the Kree Empire and Shi'ar Imperium, given how instrumental and up and front Thor was to stopping the Builders from dismantling both empires in that event.... while their own gods were nowhere to be seen.