Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

So this is why Eddie is back as Venom and not still Flash or the new guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So this is why Eddie is back as Venom and not still Flash or the new guy.
    Assuming Marvel had any idea what Sony was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Assuming Marvel had any idea what Sony was doing.
    Yeah, I highly doubt Marvel made the change because of this film. Pretty sure the reason was since it's Venom's Anniversary this year.

I guess we'll see how it's handled.
    This is Avi Arad's way of keeping a hand on a Marvel franchise. Apparently he's been cut out of any direct involvement in the MCU Spider-Man films, but looks like he has a free hand to be involved in the "spinoff" tales.

It would be great if Hardy would have joined the MCU in a role, but...

Astonishing Member

If Spider-Man doesn't appear in this film, who would the villain be and what would the story be?

There only a few Venom villains I would consider good: Carnage, the newer versions of Jack O'Lantern and Crime Master. There are a lot of stories with some pretty lame villains in Venom comics.

though, I would argue that Carnage, Jack O'lantern and Crime Master work best in an R rated setting. Carnage and Jack O'Lantern are brutal serial killers, while Crime Master is a lord crime/arms dealer who sells high tech weapons to terrorists and genocidal dictators.

Frankly I think Sony is doing this because the money Deadpool an Logan made.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-19-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Haven't seen either, but my understanding was that they were well-received because they were a faithful adaptation of the comics and a novelty (Deadpool) and a well-made film with a good story and characters (Logan), not because they were R-rated.

If so, I'm not sure that a R-rated Venom is the ticket to financial success in and of itself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Haven't seen either, but my understanding was that they were well-received because they were a faithful adaptation of the comics and a novelty (Deadpool) and a well-made film with a good story and characters (Logan), not because they were R-rated.

If so, I'm not sure that a R-rated Venom is the ticket to financial success in and of itself.
    True, but I do think it would be hard to do a PG-13 Venom movie, if they have villains like Carnage or Jack O'Lantern present, who are brutal serial killers. I think Venom's solo stories were darker then Spidey's general tales.

A good question on what the story is, to determine the rating of the film. If its just a Spider-Man vs. Venom story, it should be PG-13, if its Venom vs. a brutal serial killer or a sicko crime boss who wants to sell weapons to genocidal dictators, that would likely merit an R rating.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Spectacular Member

But how can they do a Venom film with no connection to Spider-man?

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    But how can they do a Venom film with no connection to Spider-man?
    I'm still smacking my head over this. WHY SONY, WHY?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    If Spider-Man doesn't appear in this film, who would the villain be and what would the story be?

There only a few Venom villains I would consider good: Carnage, the newer versions of Jack O'Lantern and Crime Master. There are a lot of stories with some pretty lame villains in Venom comics.

though, I would argue that Carnage, Jack O'lantern and Crime Master work best in an R rated setting. Carnage and Jack O'Lantern are brutal serial killers, while Crime Master is a lord crime/arms dealer who sells high tech weapons to terrorists and genocidal dictators.

I loved Logan ... But thought a more apt title would have been Professor X (featuring Logan)

It had a world class Shakesperian actor doing a King Leer as a good bye to a charector he spent 10 years getting to know... I like Jackmans Wolverine as much as anyone, but he got blown off the screen - the rest of the movie was really good; but kind of happened around Charles. Dropped off towards the end for obvious reasons imo.

Only thing that would have been better would have been if Magneto was still around; but guessing he was too old for that

Venom can be good; but I don't think Sony could pull it off.. You need a universe around Venom to provide balance... It will be a CGI clusterfuck of bastardized source material that either assumes too much is known or focus on the wrong things.... To do a solo movie right, you need a movie or two to set it up...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    I loved Logan ... But thought a more apt title would have been Professor X (featuring Logan)

It had a world class Shakesperian actor doing a King Leer as a good bye to a charector he spent 10 years getting to know... I like Jackmans Wolverine as much as anyone, but he got blown off the screen - the rest of the movie was really good; but kind of happened around Charles. Dropped off towards the end for obvious reasons imo.

Only thing that would have been better would have been if Magneto was still around; but guessing he was too old for that

Venom can be good; but I don't think Sony could pull it off.. You need a universe around Venom to provide balance... It will be a CGI clusterfuck of bastardized source material that either assumes too much is known or focus on the wrong things.... To do a solo movie right, you need a movie or two to set it up...
    I would argue Professor X was only a supporting character and was not the most important character, the relationship between Logan and Laura was the driving force of the film.

Tom Hardy is also pretty great actor, so I think we could see some great acting from him.

Venom's back story is really convoluted and its hard to make work without Soidey present.

I would say a Venom film series ahould be very streamlined and add in elements from a lot of different sources. I would add in Elements from Agent Venom pretty quickly, because it was the best written Venom series, most of the Venom issues from the 90s suck.

I think it would be easier to establish Venom in the Spidey series as a villain and then get redeemed as a hero in his own series, that could tell darker R rated stories.

For a solo Venom movie series, I would make Carnage the first villain and Jack O'Lantern/Crime Master as the villaims for the second film.

All-New Member

It's true that a Venom movie without Spider-Man (and the black suit saga) sounds very strange and not what Spidey and Venom fans want but... it's not too difficult to do a Venom movie without Spider-Man

Basic Story: A Government Covert Team is assembled to deal with things that the regular Super Heroes (aka the Avengers) can't really do. They find a black goo substance that fell from space and use it to mimic Spider-Man's powers and that's how Agent Venom is born - that way Spidey's Secret ID is still a secret.

I loved Zombiland, Love Hardy and love the idea of them making a venom movie together, but I hope it will not try to be a Deadpool rip off.

About potential Villains: Spider-Man has a lot of 'clone' villains, Green Goblin-Hobgoblin (Jack o'Lantren), The Jackel/Carrion, The Lizard/Stegron, Doc Ock/The Squid, Alistair Smythe/Mendel Stromm, The Rhino/Grizzly or Kingpin/The Rose so Venom can have all the clone villains and his newer creepy villains like Shriek and Paperdoll that won't likely be used in the Spider-Man Films.
    Last edited by happyhuman; 05-20-2017 at 07:35 AM.

BANNED

This is insane and if it fails then Sony has no choice but to give up the rights back to Marvel. At this rate it going to be sooner than later that Marvel regains the rights of Spider-man again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post

Have to respectfully disagree with the first part re: Logan--as good as Patrick Stewart was (and he was brilliant), it was still Hugh Jackman that did a majority of the heavy lifting for the film.

I think Jackman gave the performance of his career in Logan, what a send off for his rendition of he character.

Fantastic Member

You know - I agree with everything you wrote - didn't mean to Sell him short...

I think this is my favorite comic movie of the last few years