Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

EP-3

So this was one of those boardroom episodes.

The show is lucky that i like the Meachums because if i didnt i would be going mad cause the show at this point is about them. Iron Fist is really just a guest character in this story. The later side story with Colleen was a waste.

Just finished the first 6 episodes. Love it so far.

It's right up there with the first halves of Daredevil and Luke Cage in quality and entertainment.

Ep-4

ugh, more boardroom stuff. dont know where the Colleen story is going. This seems to just be there cause they need a B story.

Again, looooove the Maechums. This is the only reason im watching the show now. If it wasnt for them i would be totally gone. It sort of seems, seriously, that the show was created for them. We are in episode for and all we have so far of origin is a scene where two monks look down and one where 3 monks are beating him. Most of the rest of the info on the origin is dialogue and sounds.

Finished ep 6. Kind of uneven. Still don't really like Jones, his line delivery is rarely convincing. I like the overall story and the supporting characters, and I like the deeper involvement from the Hand. I actually like that they're basically the corporate ninja hydra.

Fight scenes are not bad, but they're filmed/edited in a way that sometimes lacks a real punch (no pun intended).

Show is a 6 or 7/10 for me. Roughly what I would rate JJ, I guess.

Also, I'd totally watch a Damages type show centered around the Meacham family.

Ep5-

The last 15 minutes were the only interesting thing about this ep outside the Meachum stuff. The dating and sneaking around was silly. But we have known that the editing on this show is bad. They let stuff drone on for too long.

Ep6-

The fighting really isnt the best. The spider lady is the closest to some comic book stuff we've gotten and her fight was boring. They could've shot that in a really interesting way instead of just being so plain like they did. It feels like the budget of this show is low.

Ward's crazy trip was kinda funny.
    Last edited by Sighphi; 03-18-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Episode 3 was great. Danny finally getting likeable and 2 solid returns from other shows helped raise it up. 8.5/10.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

SPOILERS!!!

I'm glad Danny got his company back sooner then expected. I love how he's trying to redeem the company's reputation. I personally think that Collen Wing has been stealing the show. Her story about fighting for entertainment to saver her dojo and how she feels that it dishonor's herself makes her compelling. I love the side story about the mother who her son and the rest of her neighborhood is getting cancer because of the Rand company is suing them for it. I also love how Madam Goa is selling a new type of drug. I noticed in the first season of Daredevil how her drugs have the Iron Fist symbol on it.

I can't wait to see what happens next.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I now finished episode six, the first half of the season. Unfortunately I feel asleep though some of it. So spoilers....

I liked the fight with Iron Fist against the spider assassin from the Immortal Iron Fist comics (I can't remember her name). Too bad it affected Danny's Iron Fist powers.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Just finished episodes 5 and 6. Got to say, I agree with some sentiments regarding the Meachums. I'm definitely feeling for Ward at this point. Initially, I thought he was a slick villain, but no, over the course of these episodes I see a guy who honestly is trying to hold it together. While Danny is off playing superhero, he's in the real world with a real company on his shoulders balancing the demands of his father, his sister, and Danny. Seriously, didn't think I'd like him this much.

As for Danny, the series is hitting SOOOOO many of the right beats in terms of characterization. His strong sense of honor, his naivete in playing hero while his company is going through turmoil, his bouts of anger and rage thinking about his parents and K'un L'un, all of those are straight out of the Brubaker and Andrews series. I like it, but him playing hero while Ward is going downhill, definitely feel disappointment with Danny's irresponsibility.

As for the fights, eh, I still think they could be better. Episode 6's fights (my eyes definitely went wide when I saw spoilers:
    the Bride of Nine Spiders!
    end of spoilers) were ok, but they seemed slow and hard to follow because of the shadows. While watching Danny use the Iron Fist is a joy, I haven't seen any clean hits yet. It's moments like these when I think that Lewis Tan could have made a better choice...................BUT...................... .was Lewis spoilers:
    the last fighter that Danny encountered? If so, his acting and fighting could have improved.
    end of spoilers

Overall, I'm enjoying the series because of the character and storytelling. Fighting could be better. Still looking forward to this! Can't wait to see the rest of the season!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Just a small note. I've seen Danny say a lot of Buddhist sayings and do a lot of practices. For instance, that prayer that he does during the lunch with Claire and Colleen, how he gives homage to the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha, that is real. In Buddhism, those three are considered the 3 Jewels that one can take refuge in. One sees this in a lot of sutras and even practitioners will say, "I take refuge in the Buddha, I take refuge in the Dharma, I take refuge in the Sangha." I've said this before when I've visited Buddhist temples and bowed down before the Buddha.

But to say it before a lunch? It's possible, but it's a little off.

These things, they almost approach Orientalism. Still, I contextualize it as Danny being from K'un L'un, and K'un L'un perhaps being a bit more Buddhist then some other places.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Up to Episode 4. I'm liking this show at this point. Not fast-moving. But action-packed enough to keep going.

Claire Temple showed up. In a pair of booty shorts no less, so that was a bonus.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I've only watched the first 6 episodes so far, but a few thoughts that come to mind...

1) The fighting style they have Danny using is different enough from Daredevils that I think they work well together visually when Defenders comes out
    2) While I'm a bit cautious on the 'agenda' accusations it does seem many of the critics clearly are not judging this show on its own merits but rather on their personal politics. And that's a damn shame.
    3) Yes, it it slow in parts, but I found large chunks of Luke Cage far more of a grind, ditto for some parts of Jessica Jones... so this pacing should not surprise anyone.
    4) Danny is very naive in parts, but that's probably as it should be. It can get annoying though. Still, I like him. He's a true fish out of water in New York... it's almost as alien to him now as K'un L'un probably was when he was 10. So that might forgive the misreads he does on people.
    5) The Meachums are turning out to be more complex than I thought. At first I thought it was going to be 'typical evil CEO ' stuff but there's depth that falls into place.
    6) Wing is awesome, and I smiled at the 'Daughter of the Dragon' name she picked for the fight
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

4th episode. Really starting to love all three Meachums. Danny's transformation from super socially inept to what he did in the press conference isn't very believable in such a short time, but I'm glad it happened because this Danny is SO much more likeable. The guy is still awkward but in a way that makes more sense than before.
    Also love that end scene.
    Another 8.5/10. Starting to think the mediocre first episode was the exception quality wise.
    Also love how much character you can learn from Colleen's fighting style. It says more about her than a thousand words could.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am up to episode 5 and I don't think this is near as bad as the critics are saying it is. It does have that slow pace that most of the Marvel shows have at times sure which I think could be helped by dropping the umber of shows to 10 or so, but it is no worse than Luke Cage or Jessica Jones. I really think a big chunk of the negatives in reviews are coming from the SWJ mindset about Danny not being asian which is not fair to the show at all.