Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Default Iron Fist Episodes 7-13

Thread for 7-13

So I just finished 13

Mini review, no major spoilers but I'll put a spoil tag over it anyway:
    spoilers:
    Solid show, I'd rank it 8/10 overall. There are a few bum episodes mid-season but the end of the show really does a great job with tension and humour, some of the new characters they introduced after the halfway point are amazing and I can't wait to see them return, in a future season and in flashbacks.
    end of spoilers

I'm not going to be able to watch any of this for awhile, so if someone doesn't mind spoiling me:

Does Shang Chi make an appearance/get hinted at?

How is Zhou Cheng?

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I'm not going to be able to watch any of this for awhile, so if someone doesn't mind spoiling me:

Does Shang Chi make an appearance/get hinted at?

How is Zhou Cheng?
    No and completely wasted. They used none of his mythology or powers, so there's no reason they couldn't use that for a character in future. It feels like they just plucked a name from his books to use for random characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    No and completely wasted. They used none of his mythology or powers, so there's no reason they couldn't use that for a character in future. It feels like they just plucked a name from his books to use for random characters.
    Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunate in both cases. Oh well.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I'm still a couple of episodes from the end, but I completely agree here. I got quite excited about Lewis Tan playing Zhou Cheng originally, and seeing him fight was actually quite impressive. Then they just... tossed him aside. I'm going to post more thoughts once I finish the entire season, but so far it's been a huge mixed bag.

I really don't like the way they wrote claire. She was way rude, inviting her self to take out then taking four to go containers. And then on the plane her asking Danny about his and Colleen's relationship. Not even the questions just the way she asked them. Tacky

spoilers:
    Kyle
    end of spoilersdeserved it.

Really hoping Danny uses Meechum's lair for the Defenders base at the end of season one.

spoilers:
    The Miami Thing
    end of spoilers I really want to know what that is/was.

Amazing Member

Ok, so as a huge Iron Fist fan, I think this series is definitely better than what critics initially gave credit for, but it's a far cry from the other Netflix shows. I'd give it a generous 6/10.

Things I liked:
    spoilers:
    - Episode 6. The only episode that actually had my attention 100%, and what the majority of this show should have been.
    - The actor for Davos did an absolutely superb job portraying the character and I really, really liked him. However, I do feel Davos should have a more imposing stature. And while I am satisfied they cast an Asian actor for the role, an East Asian actor may have been a bit more accurate to the source material (since, that's the big argument for why Danny should be white).
    - Madame Gao does a brilliant performance, even if her character has a few glaring issues.
    - Lei Kung, for as briefly as he appears, has an incredibly imposing presence. I do wish he had more appearances.
    - Finn Jones speaks Mandarin convincingly, although approaching Colleen with it was quite sleazy.
    - Harold as unintentional comedy. Seeing him beat his assistant to death was great.
    - I liked the psychiatrist.
    end of spoilers

Things I did not like:
    spoilers:
    - A bunch of episodes should be watched at 1.5x speed; if only Netflix had the option.
    - Madame Gao's highly inconsistent. She was never mentioned to be a part of the Hand in previous appearances, and really, the multiple Hand factions subplot is very convoluted.
    - Speaking of the Hand, they went from an orientalist ninja cult to being a Scientology-esque cult full of millennials that occasionally sends their members to medical school. They are literally the least intimidating bunch of college hacks I've ever seen.
    - Danny's naivete, emotional outbursts, indecisiveness and mental instability makes it incredibly difficult to believe this guy actually is the Iron Fist. I can't help but agree with Davos; Danny in this show does not deserve his mantle.
    - The whole Episode when they went to "China" was cringe-worthy, minus the short-lived fight with Zhou Cheng.
    - Fight choreography is sub-par, particularly for Finn Jones. I know the guy's not a martial artist, but damn... that should have been a prerequisite for playing the character.
    - The major villains are just terrible. Characters like Zhou Cheng were completely wasted, giving more screen time to the comical Harold Meachum and one-dimensional Bakuto.
    - Colleen. I just did not like her character at all. To me, her fight scenes are very unconvincing, and once she developed a romantic relationship with Danny, she spends most of her time apologizing, moping and acting out. She essentially becomes Elektra 2.0; a token Asian love interest who needs saving from an evil Asian cult.
    - Joy Meachum.
    - No Iron Fist costume...
    end of spoilers

There does appear to be more complaints than praise, but the truth is the vast majority of this show is mediocre but watchable. It's nothing extraordinary, and for those who are not invested in the character, I probably would never recommend it. The only reason I'm not more disappointed in this show myself is that critics lowered my expectations already.

Also, I have to ask
    spoilers:
    Why the hell did Danny kick and disarm Harold, only to run another lap around the roof?
    end of spoilers One of many questionable things from that final encounter.

Why was it sleazy?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Why was it sleazy?
    Because she clearly speaks fluent English and he made the assumption she spoke Chinese, even though her character is supposed to be Japanese. Not something I would ever have imagined the comic version of Danny doing.

Also, I just realized...
    spoilers:
    Is it just me, or does Misty never make an appearance despite being credited on IMDB?
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Because she clearly speaks fluent English and he made the assumption she spoke Chinese, even though her character is supposed to be Japanese. Not something I would ever have imagined the comic version of Danny doing.

Also, I just realized...
    spoilers:
    Is it just me, or does Misty never make an appearance despite being credited on IMDB?
    end of spoilers
    Well, I think they had Matt in Jessica Jones, so it's not exactly reliable when it comes to these shows it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post

Also, I just realized...
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Isn't it just possible that he was checking to see if she spoke Manderine? Wanting to see if someone shares something in common with you isn't sleazy.

Anyone think the guy playing Meechum senior looks like a knock off Brett Cullen