Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    At this point, Young Animal seems to have spun off into it's on sub-universe like Vertigo did back in the '90s.

Interesting, Pandora merged Vertigo back into the DCU, along with Wildstorm, but both of them are back to being seperate, but connected, entities again with Rebirth.

I wonder....
    Wasn't the Giffen run in the DCU proper, though?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Wasn't the Giffen run in the DCU proper, though?
    Yup, characters who'd been separated off to Vertigo-ville started migrating back after Infinite Crisis. Now though? Who knows? I'd prefer if they were just the weird parts of the DCU, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Has anyone explicitly stated what it's status is they have with the new Wildstorm stuff?

Incredible Member

As per the latest issue of Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, I would remove "Blackest Night" as never happening, or not happen the way it did originally.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    As per the latest issue of Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, I would remove "Blackest Night" as never happening, or not happen the way it did originally.
    Yeah, I can understand the confusion there. I just read that issue. Are you talking about them referring to Kyle as the only White Lantern? I took that more as he was the only ring-bearer who was successfully able to unite the seven lights of the Emotional Spectrum, which is what made him a White Lantern. And that's right, he's the only White Lantern, nobody before or since has been able to do that. The White Lanterns who appeared during Blackest Night were of a very different variety. Those were all heroes who had died and been brought back to life.

At least that's the way I am looking at it.

As for Blackest Night not happening the way it originally did? That's already a given because the JSA and their children weren't around to participate, along with a bunch of other characters who either haven't died or haven't appeared yet. So, Blackest Night was always gonna play out differently. But, never happening? No, it's been referenced multiple times Post-New 52 and Rebirth, most recently in the pretty awesome Volthoom the First Lantern origin issue of Green Lantern.

Woo, the conclusion to Superman Reborn has certainly thrown a monkey wrench into the DCU. I think this one may take a few weeks to sort out...

Incredible Member

Yeah, I can understand the confusion there. I just read that issue. Are you talking about them referring to Kyle as the only White Lantern? I took that more as he was the only ring-bearer who was successfully able to unite the seven lights of the Emotional Spectrum, which is what made him a White Lantern. And that's right, he's the only White Lantern, nobody before or since has been able to do that. The White Lanterns who appeared during Blackest Night were of a very different variety. Those were all heroes who had died and been brought back to life.

At least that's the way I am looking at it.

As for Blackest Night not happening the way it originally did? That's already a given because the JSA and their children weren't around to participate, along with a bunch of other characters who either haven't died or haven't appeared yet. So, Blackest Night was always gonna play out differently. But, never happening? No, it's been referenced multiple times Post-New 52 and Rebirth, most recently in the pretty awesome Volthoom the First Lantern origin issue of Green Lantern.
    Ah!! Yes, I remember the Volthoom issue now. You are right there. But yeah, Hal's comment about Kyle being the only White Lantern is a bit tricky for me. It certainly erases the last issue of GL New Guardians, when Kyle choose a couple other individuals to carry the mantle of the White Lantern along him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Ah!! Yes, I remember the Volthoom issue now. You are right there. But yeah, Hal's comment about Kyle being the only White Lantern is a bit tricky for me. It certainly erases the last issue of GL New Guardians, when Kyle choose a couple other individuals to carry the mantle of the White Lantern along him.
    Yeah, I think Dataweaver's right about this. Kyle is the first White Lantern, as in master of the seven lights, which is different from the "White Lanterns" from Blackest Night. Also, Hal doesn't say that there weren't any except Kyle ever, but that Kyle was the first. So, it doesn't really erase the last issue of New Guardians, either.

Extraordinary Member

After this issue of Hal Jordan and the GLC, I'd also say that the whole Hal going Parallax and destroying the Corps and Kyle being the "Torchbearer" is definitively confirmed as back in continuity.

And I think Superman Reborn has now helped GL continuity make sense again, given that it LOOKS like Reign of the Supermen and Hank Henshaw blowing up Coast City in Superman #80 (the thing that led to Hal being Parallax) are back in continuity.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see that you already had it in there. My bad.

Yup, characters who'd been separated off to Vertigo-ville started migrating back after Infinite Crisis. Now though? Who knows? I'd prefer if they were just the weird parts of the DCU, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Has anyone explicitly stated what it's status is they have with the new Wildstorm stuff?
    Oh, yeah, I know, but I've always been a little confused about the state of Vertigo. Were they actually in a separate universe or was it more along the lines of there just being an editorial embargo on Vertigo characters popping up in the main DC books, but them still being in the main DC Universe? I thought I remembered a few times John Constantine popped up in DCU books in like the 80s before his series took off. Plus, the Doom Patrol debuted as main DCU characters.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-22-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    After this issue of Hal Jordan and the GLC, I'd also say that the whole Hal going Parallax and destroying the Corps and Kyle being the "Torchbearer" is definitively confirmed as back in continuity.

And I think Superman Reborn has now helped GL continuity make sense again, given that it LOOKS like Reign of the Supermen and Hank Henshaw blowing up Coast City in Superman #80 (the thing that led to Hal being Parallax) are back in continuity.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see that you already had it in there. My bad.

Oh, yeah, I know, but I've always been a little confused about the state of Vertigo. Were they actually in a separate universe or was it more along the lines of there just being an editorial embargo on Vertigo characters popping up in the main DC books, but them still being in the main DC Universe? I thought I remembered a few times John Constantine popped up in DCU books in like the 80s before his series took off. Plus, the Doom Patrol debuted as main DCU characters.
    They all definitely started in the DCU, but once they were sequestered over in Vertigo, their continuity became almost completely separate from what was happening in the DCU with completely different versions of Heaven and Hell. Once they rejoined the DCU, they managed to retain most of that history, but characters like Constantine seemed to totally ignore their Vertigo continuity.

BANNED

I'd have to go back to check the details, but the whole concept of all of the GLs dying/going away and Kyle being the lone GL was always part of the New52. It was vaguely referenced in GL: New Guardians, I believe.

There was, however, also a weird scene where Kyle in a standard GL outfit was seen with a bunch of other GL recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    There was, however, also a weird scene where Kyle in a standard GL outfit was seen with a bunch of other GL recruits.
    Yeah, they tried to give John, Guy and Kyle new origins during the New 52, but none of them really stuck. Hal Jordan & the GLCorps seems to have reaffirmed everyone's former backstory's, so that's what I am going with.

As per Titans Annual #1, looks like the Justice League's encounter with Mageddon is back, so it's possible Kyle's time in the JLA is a couple inches closer to being re-canonized

BANNED

As per Titans Annual #1, looks like the Justice League's encounter with Mageddon is back, so it's possible Kyle's time in the JLA is a couple inches closer to being re-canonized
    I haven't read the book yet - is there a visual flashback, or just a name-mention. If it's just a name-mention, then all we know is a JL fought a Mageddon at some point, but not that any details beyond that match pre-Flashpoint.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. I'd think that, since we very clearly saw Wally remembering his tenure as Flash, and if the point of Rebirth will at least be incorporating what Wally remembers back into the DCU timeline, that that could very well include his (and Kyle's) time on the JLA.

Spectacular Member

That said, I think it would be awesome if Young Animal was in the DCU proper, because that would mean we get Wilddog and Cave Carson back
    Warren Ellis said in an interview leading up to the release of Wildstorm #1 that it will remain separate but will have hooks to the Dcu, and that once wildstorm had been reestablished that there would be the occasional crossover, but we'll have to wait and see I think.