Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The Unofficial History of the DC Universe: Rebirth Edition Ver. 2.0!

It's been almost a year since I last tried to sort out what the current history of the DC looks like. Here's the basic shape of it as it stands these days. Feel free to point out any corrections or additions in the comments

Recent retcons established by either Rebirth or the New 52 are in bold

Events not yet re-established, but possibly will be, are in italics

The Justice Society of America operated as a covert team of costumed Mystery Men during World War II, but disappeared following the Communist Witch Hunts of 1951. Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt erased all memory of their existence.

Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman first appeared several years ago, inspiring the modern age of the Super-Hero, which culminated in the formation of the original Justice League with The Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and, their youngest member, the teen Cyborg, whose body was merged with a Mother Box during Darkseid's invasion of Earth. Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, Hawkman & Hawkgirl, The Atom, Black Canary, Zatanna and others also joined the expanding Justice League.

Shortly afterwards, Robin, Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad & Wonder Girl formed the original Teen Titans. Other young heroes including Hawk & Dove and Batgirl also began their adventures.

Strange new heroes like Deadman and the Doom Patrol first appeared. Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, The Question, Nightshade and Peacemaker debuted.

Clark & Lois fell in love, Catwoman seduced Batman, Barry started dating Iris, Mera met Aquaman after he was crowned king of Atlantis, Carol first became Star Sapphire, and Sinestro forged his original yellow ring.

Hal, Ollie & Dinah did their Social Justice Warrior roadtrip, John Stewart joined the GLCorps, Batman first met Talia & Ra's Al Ghul (Damian was conceived) and the New Gods of Apokolips and New Genesis brought their war with each other to Earth.

Black Lightning & Firestorm debuted, Travis Morgan became lost in Skartaris, and Alec Holland was transformed into Swamp Thing, who eventually met John Constantine.

Jason Todd debuted when Dick Grayson left his days as Robin behind to become Nightwing, who led the Teen Titans including Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven and Cyborg (taking a break from the League) against the mercenary Slade Wilson, Deathstroke.

With Batman quit to form the Outsiders, Hal Jordan exiled from Earth, Cyborg hanging with heroes his own age, and most of their teammates gone, Aquaman & J'Onn formed a new League with Elongated Man, Vibe, Gypsy, Vixen, and Steel in Detroit.

During their battle with Mr.Twister, Dove was killed and Lilith erased the world's memory of the Teen Titans' adventures. Furthermore, Wally West was trapped in the Speed Force by Abra Kadabra.

The Detroit League was decimated by Anti-Hero Riots orchestrated by Darkseid, during which Amanda Waller formed the first Suicide Squad and a new Justice League was created with Batman, J'Onn, Black Canary, new Green Lantern Guy Gardner, Blue Beetle, Mr.Miracle and others. This team was soon manipulated by Checkmate agent Maxwell Lord into becoming Justice League International with an expanded membership including Booster Gold, Rocket Red, Fire & Ice, Captain Atom and Power Girl.

Jason Todd was murdered, Batgirl was crippled & Harley Quinn was seduced by the Joker. Tim Drake became the third Robin. Batman's back was broken by Bane. Gotham City was devestated by a massive earthquake. Barbara Gordon became Oracle and formed the Birds of Prey with Black Canary.

Superman died fighting Doomsday, the clone Superboy, armored Steel and the Cyborg Superman first appeared. This culminated in the return of Superman and the destruction of Coast City, which led to Sinestro's corruption of Hal Jordan with Parallax, the destruction of the GLCorps and Kyle Rayner's debut as Green Lantern, who soon joined the reformed JLA to thwart a White Martian invasion, and the attack of Maggedon.

Shortly after Lois & Clark were married, Superman rallies together Earth's heroes against the invasion of Imperiex. Wonder Woman relocated to Gateway City where she ascended to Olympus as the Goddess of Truth for a time before reclaiming her mortal role as Ambassador to Paradise Island. Robin, Superboy, Impulse and the new Wonder Girl had adventures as Young Justice, which eventually became another Teen Titans with Cyborg, Starfire & Beast Boy. Revived by the Lazarus Pit, Jason Todd returned as the Red Hood, Jamie Reyes became Blue Beetle, Kate Kane debuted as the new Batwoman.

Sinestro formed his Corps, Darkseid seemingly killed Batman, prompting Dick Grayson to train Damian Wayne as the new Batman & Robin while Tim Drake searched for Bruce Wayne as Red Robin.

The Blackest Night brought back the dead, Batman Incorporated was established around the world, and Zatanna & Constantine formed Justice League Dark to combat magical threats.

Supergirl arrived on Earth, Batgirl recovered from her spinal injuries, Batman faced the Court of Owls, the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 invaded, the Anti-Monitor and Darkseid waged a war against each other on Earth. Wally West returned with knowledge that history is being manipulated by outside forces.

And there you have it. I'm sure Superman Reborn and the upcoming Judas Contract retelling will require some tweaks here and there, but this seems to be the general shape of DC history right now.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 03-30-2017 at 10:26 PM.

BANNED

Where has it been established that a New Teen Titans formed? Are you referring to the group that Starfire was in with Nightwing? We don't know the membership of that.

How do you know Hal Jordan was exiled from Earth?

How do you know there was still a Gotham earthquake? How do you know there was a Birds of Prey with Black Canary (earlier than when the New52 started)

I believe Steel only recently was introduced - do we have indications he was around for a while?

Lois & Clark aren't married in the current continuity yet - that would be an italics thing.

How do we know Tim Drake searched for Batman as Red Robin?

Amazing Member

Could you include Barry Allen? Did his trial, going to the future, activity in Crisis/death happen?

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post

imo it's safe to assume that since in Nightwing Batman!Dick was canon and most of Batmythology is then Tim looking for Bruce is a plausible.

Where has it been established that a New Teen Titans formed? Are you referring to the group that Starfire was in with Nightwing? We don't know the membership of that.

How do you know Hal Jordan was exiled from Earth?

How do you know there was still a Gotham earthquake? How do you know there was a Birds of Prey with Black Canary (earlier than when the New52 started)

I believe Steel only recently was introduced - do we have indications he was around for a while?

Lois & Clark aren't married in the current continuity yet - that would be an italics thing.

I don’t think it's a huge leap to infer that the group Nightwing and Starfire were on together were the New Teen Titans in some form, but we'll find out for sure when the Titans / Deathstroke crossover retells the Judas Contract.

Gotham's giant earthquake was referenced during the New 52, as have the broad strokes of the Grant Morrison era. The Birds of Prey Rebirth comics have also re-established Oracle & Black Canary's partnership, but Huntress is now a new member instead.

Hal Jordan's constant railing against the authority of the Guardians has been frequently mentioned before and after Flashpoint, including his exile from Earth.

While Superman Reborn ain't done yet, I think we can safely assume a married Lois & Clark will be back in continuity veeerry soon

Steel was retroactively introduced at the start of Superman's career by Morrison, but I think it's safer to place his full-on superhero career to its original place after Superman's death. Again, I may have to revise this depending upon how Superman Reborn changes things

Quote Originally Posted by Lamashtar View Post
    Could you include Barry Allen? Did his trial, going to the future, activity in Crisis/death happen?
    Given that the original Crisis didn’t happen and Wally West was trapped in the Speed Force, I am not sure how these events can play out yet, although people certainly knew who the Anti-Monitor was prior to the Darksied War.

As far as I can tell, Barry never died or was replaced by Wally, he never married Iris or travelled to the future, never killed Zoom or went on trial. This may yet happen if Impulse returns, but not yet.

Extraordinary Member

God, I really hope they pull and Infinite Crisis retcon the broad strokes Silver/Bronze Age history of the League back in soon and put Cyborg's history with the Titans back where it belongs. They can just say that Darkseid's invasion precipitated the creation of a NEW Justice League, instead of the FIRST EVER Justice League. And actually, I think that seems likelier as Rebirth goes on. They're already retconning away the New 52 JL: Origin as being the first ever meeting of the Trinity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don’t think it's a huge leap to infer that the group Nightwing and Starfire were on together were the New Teen Titans in some form, but we'll find out for sure when the Titans / Deathstroke crossover retells the Judas Contract.

Gotham's giant earthquake was referenced during the New 52, as have the broad strokes of the Grant Morrison era. The Birds of Prey Rebirth comics have also re-established Oracle & Black Canary's partnership, but Huntress is now a new member instead.

Hal Jordan's constant railing against the authority of the Guardians has been frequently mentioned before and after Flashpoint, including his exile from Earth.

While Superman Reborn ain't done yet, I think we can safely assume a married Lois & Clark will be back in continuity veeerry soon

Steel was retroactively introduced at the start of Superman's career by Morrison, but I think it's safer to place his full-on superhero career to its original place after Superman's death. Again, I may have to revise this depending upon how Superman Reborn changes things
    RE: NTT - exactly, which is why it should be in italics, with no specific membership beyond whomever was shown in the Red Hood issues.
    Do you have a reference for the Earthquake in Gotham?

Also, was it established that Black Canary worked with Oracle, or just that she knew Barbara was Oracle at that time?

Again, reference for Hal Jordan's exile?

And it's also possible that Lois and Clark will end up knowing they were married in another reality, but it won't be part of their official history in the current one.

And sure, if Steel gets moved then that's fine, but until then it is italics.

Extraordinary Member

Should we include Wally becoming Flash and possibly even marrying Linda as something in italics? Wally clearly remembers being Flash and being married to Linda. And even Barry has reiterated that Wally was Flash. And of course, that would also mean that Barry was dead for a time at least. I think that continuity will reflect the broad strokes of Wally's memories once Rebirth is over.

Also, do you mean Kathy Kane or Kate Kane? Kathy Kane's time as the original Silver Age Batwoman is actually in canon, I think, because she popped up in New 52 Batman, Inc. in the exact same position she was in before Flashpoint. And since New 52 Batman, Inc. was just a continuation of Pre-FP Batman, Inc., I'd assume everything Morrison established with her in that role is canon.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-18-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Should we include Wally becoming Flash and possibly even marrying Linda as something in italics? Wally clearly remembers being Flash and being married to Linda. And even Barry has reiterated that Wally was Flash. And of course, that would also mean that Barry was dead for a time at least. I think that continuity will reflect the broad strokes of Wally's memories once Rebirth is over.

Also, do you mean Kathy Kane or Kate Kane? Kathy Kane's time as the original Silver Age Batwoman is actually in canon, I think, because she popped up in New 52 Batman, Inc. in the exact same position she was in before Flashpoint. And since New 52 Batman, Inc. was just a continuation of Pre-FP Batman, Inc., I'd assume everything Morrison established with her in that role is canon.
    Because of their central roles in both Rebirth and Flashpoint, the details of Wally and Barry's histories are a little too vague and contradictory right now. They certainly seem to be aware of their past histories, but none of those events appear to have happened yet in the current timeline. That may change though...

Yup, confused Kathy and Kate. I will fix that, and include the original Batwoman in there

I think Tim Drake was never actually Robin. He started with his Red Robin persona.

Doomsday is another topic. There's a Youtube Video of Max Landis telling with all detail his Death of Superman plot, which was supposed to be a 26-week long weekly co-written with Greg Pak. It never featured the Erradictor (who was re-introduced in Tomasi and Gleason's Superman), Superboy nor Steel (who was re-introduced by Grant Morrison). It's VERY different from the classic arc from the 90's, and pretty good IMHO. They never wrote it bc of Landis' schedule, but it was supposed to be the new canon for the Death of Superman.
    That's why they know Doomsday when he shows up in that crossover where Zod and Doomsday attack Supes and WW.

About Hal's Exile. I'm not sure that ever happened.
    Last edited by poroto678; 03-18-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

RE: NTT - exactly, which is why it should be in italics, with no specific membership beyond whomever was shown in the Red Hood issues.
    Yeah, you're right. That makes sense until the Rebirth retelling of Judas Contract gets clarified, although Priest has outright said in an interview it would be the Titans months ago--it is a Titans/Deathstroke crossover after all Although, at that point, he said they were still sorting out who the exact members were going to be.

Do you have a reference for the Earthquake in Gotham?
    Someone with a better memory of Batman comics will have to help out there. All I know is that damage from the earthquake was referenced at some point during the New 52.

Also, was it established that Black Canary worked with Oracle, or just that she knew Barbara was Oracle at that time?
    Birds of Prey Rebirth #1 specifically has a flashback to Oracle & Black Canary working together as the original Birds of Prey and the creators have confirmed it in interviews, although Huntress's joining has been retconned to the present.

Again, reference for Hal Jordan's exile?
    If I'm remembering right, Sinestro mentioned it during the first New 52 arc in Green Lantern.

And it's also possible that Lois and Clark will end up knowing they were married in another reality, but it won't be part of their official history in the current one.
    Ha! How about we wait till Wednesday on that one? The marriage returning is all but a done deal, my friend! (Although, I could be wrong, I am 99.99% sure I am not)

And sure, if Steel gets moved then that's fine, but until then it is italics.
    Why? Steel has been already established as operating as an armored hero in both Morrison's Action Comics, and Superwoman. Superman's death at the hands of Doomsday has also been established. Unless another comic specifically changes when Steel debuted, it would still be after Superman's death.

My general rule of thumb is that, unless the New 52 or Rebirth outright changed or invalidated an important event or major character, it still happened

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I think Tim Drake was never actually Robin. He started with his Red Robin persona.
    That idea has been contradicted by the comics a few times already, so I am going to leave the original progression from third Robin to Red Robin following Bruce's "death" as it stands, unless a new story comes out firmly stating that Tim was never called Robin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM
    Ha! How about we wait till Wednesday on that one? The marriage returning is all but a done deal, my friend!
    And you would be right. Zircher's tweeted out images of post-Reborn Clark and Lois and they're wearing wedding rings.

So, with the upcoming recanonization of Superman's history, you think we'll get President Luthor back in continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    So, with the upcoming recanonization of Superman's history, you think we'll get President Luthor back in continuity?
    I think it's more likely they will save that one for future storylines. It's too juicy an idea to not revisit, but anything is possible..

Aside from the marriage and Doomsday, Superman is a big question mark until Reborn finishes