Astonishing Member

Default Comic Book M-Day vs. Movie M-Day (Logan Spoilers)

I noticed with the Logan movie, they took several elements from the comics and put their own spin on it.

In the comics, Scarlet Witch was responsible for depowering most mutants, but she would never be punished for that, because she was popular Avengers character who had a rep as a heroic character before House of M, while in the Logan movie, Dr. Zander Rice was responsible for the repression of the X-gene through genetic manipulation of GMO food goods.

The thing is, Rice was always an evil psychopath with no redeeming qualities, while Scarlet Witch was a beloved hero before M-Day. No one will mourn Rice, but a lot of fans will feel Scarlet Witch went through character assassination just to depower mutants.

I was think the movie version of M-Day was more believable and the emergence of new mutants made more sense, I think the movies handled this plot better, would agree or disagree?
    Last edited by The Overlord; 03-17-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Surely. The only good thing that came out of M-Day for me was Children's Crusade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I noticed with the Logan movie, they took several elements from the comics and put their own spin on it.

In the comics, Scarlet Witch was responsible for depowering most mutants, but she would never be punished for that, because she was popular Avengers character who had a rep as a heroic character before House of M, while in the Logan movie, Dr. Zander Rice was responsible for the repression of the X-gene through genetic manipulation of GMO food goods.

The thing is, Rice was always an evil psychopath with no redeeming qualities, while Scarlet Witch was a beloved hero before M-Day. No one will mourn Rice, but a lot of fans will feel Scarlet Witch went through character assassination just to depower mutants.

I was think the movie version of M-Day was more believable and the emergence of new mutants made more sense, I think the movies handled this plot better, would agree or disagree?
    I like that it sets up a potential adaptation of parts of the Messiah Trilogy. I could see something like this:

1) Deadpool 2 is set a few years before the Westchester Incident. Obviously, they can't PREVENT Transigen from putting their GMO plot into effect, since that would have begun in the mid/late-2000s. The plot doesn't touch on this directly; Perhaps Wade gets drawn into hunting down whoever was behind Ajax (let's face it, he was ultimately just a thug. SOMEONE must have been holding his leash) and discovers a link between the Workshop and Transigen. Laura would have been born around 2018, so maybe the data Wade, Dom, and Cable uncover has references to her and the other X-23 children (Rictor appeared to be a few years older). However otherwise the threat they deal with doesn't directly connect to Transigen.

2) This would be followed by an X-23 solo film, possibly loosely based on Target X, set in the immediate aftermath of Logan. Laura's efforts to go to ground and live a normal life are disrupted when Rice's superiors (perhaps Sutter and Harkins) step in, sending either a XCU spin on Kimura, or a repaired and further upgraded Pierce (I honestly hope for the latter, both because I LOVED Holbrook's performance, and it would fit nicely with the books in that the son of a bitch just won't die), after her. She's forced to sever ties with the Canadian family — Deborah Kinney and her daughter, Megan — she was placed with by the X-23 kids' benefactors to protect them from Transigen, and escapes. After credits sequence: Laura encounters Cable, who's come to ask for her help, and offer her a chance to honor Logan by fighting to protect their race.

3) X-Force would be set after X-23. Cable and Dom are among the surviving mutants, with Wade also still kicking around. They're revealed as some of the people behind the X-23 kids' escape, specifically the ones who arranged their safe haven. Cable recruits additional surviving mutants to form X-Force, including a reuse of the scene with Laura above. Wade would shatter the fourth wall with remarks about how they couldn't get Hugh Jackman back, while simultaneously squeeing about how adorable Laura is. This would be loosely based on elements of Messiah War and Second Coming, as X-Force battles Transigen to put an end to their efforts to wipe out the X-gene, and secure a new future for mutant kind.

BANNED

I actually think the movie is far closer to how it went down in the Ultimate Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I like that it sets up a potential adaptation of parts of the Messiah Trilogy. I could see something like this:

1) Deadpool 2 is set a few years before the Westchester Incident. Obviously, they can't PREVENT Transigen from putting their GMO plot into effect, since that would have begun in the mid/late-2000s. The plot doesn't touch on this directly; Perhaps Wade gets drawn into hunting down whoever was behind Ajax (let's face it, he was ultimately just a thug. SOMEONE must have been holding his leash) and discovers a link between the Workshop and Transigen. Laura would have been born around 2018, so maybe the data Wade, Dom, and Cable uncover has references to her and the other X-23 children (Rictor appeared to be a few years older). However otherwise the threat they deal with doesn't directly connect to Transigen.

2) This would be followed by an X-23 solo film, possibly loosely based on Target X, set in the immediate aftermath of Logan. Laura's efforts to go to ground and live a normal life are disrupted when Rice's superiors (perhaps Sutter and Harkins) step in, sending either a XCU spin on Kimura, or a repaired and further upgraded Pierce (I honestly hope for the latter, both because I LOVED Holbrook's performance, and it would fit nicely with the books in that the son of a bitch just won't die), after her. She's forced to sever ties with the Canadian family — Deborah Kinney and her daughter, Megan — she was placed with by the X-23 kids' benefactors to protect them from Transigen, and escapes. After credits sequence: Laura encounters Cable, who's come to ask for her help, and offer her a chance to honor Logan by fighting to protect their race.

3) X-Force would be set after X-23. Cable and Dom are among the surviving mutants, with Wade also still kicking around. They're revealed as some of the people behind the X-23 kids' escape, specifically the ones who arranged their safe haven. Cable recruits additional surviving mutants to form X-Force, including a reuse of the scene with Laura above. Wade would shatter the fourth wall with remarks about how they couldn't get Hugh Jackman back, while simultaneously squeeing about how adorable Laura is. This would be loosely based on elements of Messiah War and Second Coming, as X-Force battles Transigen to put an end to their efforts to wipe out the X-gene, and secure a new future for mutant kind.
    This is how it should happen. Ultimately I think it won't and X-Force will end up being the original iteration of the team that I don't care about. At this point I'm only waiting for that Mangold-directed solo for Laura to be green lit.