Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Important Clue to Who the Reborn Superman is in a Future Cover We've Long Seen?

Guys, we've been talking about that solicitation of the cover coming out of Reborn where iconic scenes from Superman's past are there. We see Post-Crisis on the left, but the right hand side is a bit vague, like Superman breaking Kryptonite chains, could be any era, etc. (All pictures on both sides featuring the new "Reborn" uniform when he's dressed as Superman). However, one image is Superman lifting up the globe of the Daily Planet and putting it back into place or preventing it from falling. That's the cover of Superman #1 from the New52. Not the same artwork, but the same gist. I mean, it could *still* be multiple eras, but I could definitely see an artist pulling the first issue of Superman from the New52 era and using that cover to inform what he was trying to convey on a cover showing that that era was being including in Superman's new history, if he has one.

So, maybe we will get some of New52 Superman's past and memories, maybe the right side of the cover represents him?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-18-2017 at 02:04 PM.

FINALLY... GOOD AVATAR..

The first moment that I see that image of the planet I thought that this is a N52 image..

Even without SM/WW.. Some memories of N52 must remain.. There are enemies like Xa-du(even if Superman Joker thing change) or Ulisses for example or characters like Shay Veritas(she exist in supergirl) that the character should remember.

I heard that in Supersons 2 the Amazo Virus is mentioned... Some things should be canon..
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-18-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I do feel like that artist could have found more iconic new 52 moments if that cover was supposed to show highlights of both pre-flashpoint and new 52, but then again, that may not have been the case.

And also, you have a good point op, but several people have mentioned that cover and it's implications in other threads already.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Hey Supercrab, nice avatar! Not as cool as mine, but what is?

Anyway it's a good point , but that shot of Supes replacing the planet globe actually evokes other similar moments of preFlashpoint Superman's history, most obviously the beginning of SUPERMAN #151 where Supes brings the Daily Planet globe back to it's home after Luthor sells the paper back to Perry White after Lex had bought the paper and shut it down a few months prior. Also, when Metropolis was rebuilt just after Zero Hour.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

That's the closer new52 moment you have on that AC cover...

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    FINALLY... GOOD AVATAR..
    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Hey Supercrab, nice avatar!
    Thanks!

Anyway it's a good point , but that shot of Supes replacing the planet globe actually evokes other similar moments of preFlashpoint Superman's history, most obviously the beginning of SUPERMAN #151 where Supes brings the Daily Planet globe back to it's home after Luthor sells the paper back to Perry White after Lex had bought the paper and shut it down a few months prior. Also, when Metropolis was rebuilt just after Zero Hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    That's the closer new52 moment you have on that AC cover...

So, I guess what we've come up with is that at least two of these moments happened in the New52, but also happened in prior Superman history (The breaking chains thing goes way back- back to Kal-L and regular steel chains, but then were redone as Kryptonite in another story- or several stories- prior to the New52)? So it's still vague. I guess we won't really know until they make it clear in the published issues.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    So, I guess what we've come up with is that at least two of these moments happened in the New52, but also happened in prior Superman history (The breaking chains thing goes way back- back to Kal-L and regular steel chains, but then were redone as Kryptonite in another story- or several stories- prior to the New52)? So it's still vague. I guess we won't really know until they make it clear in the published issues.
    That's the classic one for comparison:

I think one moment they could have used was Superman standing with the protesters in chains had they wanted to make it really clear the New52 was getting folded in. I don't think that ever happened in any other continuity- and it was a pretty iconic moment. It might seem a little different had he been fully powered and in full costume, which he'd have to be to fit with the assumed theme of the cover of a revised timeline (Unless Reborn Superman also had a Truth arc), because he was putting himself at risk in the original story and got beat up really badly before fighting back, and at full power, he wouldn't be at any risk, but it shows him standing with the people, that's an important signifier.

Or how about Superman punching Rao in JLA? That would lose any punch (No pun intended) just because the new history would feature a different costume. And I'm almost certain he'd never done *that* before.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 03-18-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Or Rao and Superman touching fingers like the painting God and Adam on the Roof of the Sistine Chapel. That was a great homage.

It could be that they tried to find things (for the most part) to put on the cover (except Jon's birth) that would evoke New52 memories from New52 fans and Pre-Flashpoint/Pre-Crisis memories from those fans, as a way to "nod" to both with the few images they have space for.

Either way, definitely looking forward to that issue!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Guys, we've been talking about that solicitation of the cover coming out of Reborn where iconic scenes from Superman's past are there. We see Post-Crisis on the left, but the right hand side is a bit vague, like Superman breaking Kryptonite chains, could be any era, etc. (All pictures on both sides featuring the new "Reborn" uniform when he's dressed as Superman). However, one image is Superman lifting up the globe of the Daily Planet and putting it back into place or preventing it from falling. That's the cover of Superman #1 from the New52. Not the same artwork, but the same gist. I mean, it could *still* be multiple eras, but I could definitely see an artist pulling the first issue of Superman from the New52 era and using that cover to inform what he was trying to convey on a cover showing that that era was being including in Superman's new history, if he has one.

So, maybe we will get some of New52 Superman's past and memories, maybe the right side of the cover represents him?
    No offense, but that's a bit of a reach. How many times has Superman lifted/replaced/handled the globe? It wasn't something unique to Perez's cover to Superman #1.

If anything, that particular scene is proof that New 52 Superman's experiences (the ones that aren't terrible, which are only those from Morrison's run and maybe a few from Pak's) will be folded in to the history of the one, post-Reborn Superman. While I didn't care for Perez's run, that first issue and his ideas for the DP were pretty good. Wouldn't mind seeing some of that integrated into the new history going forward.

Amazing Member

Which cover are we talking about?

Extraordinary Member

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here is in the cards. Firstly, I don't even know if Superman IS lifting the planet up. I think he's just floating above the rooftop. Secondly, none of those moments look like they were from any specific stories/moments of New 52 Superman or even from pre-FP Superman. How many times have we seen Supes flying near the Daily Planet building? Or him breaking off chains by flexing? The answer to both of those would be like a million times. I'm also pretty sure that that image of him flying with a flag is from Superman II, as in the movie from 1980, as in wasn't even in a comic. I think Kubert was just trying to convey some classic Superman images.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-19-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Which cover are we talking about?